THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can’t really get any better than that. The catfish looked perfectly breaded and fried. Okra, well there just ain’t no way to make it bad. One of God’s best gifts. You did it right... again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All this talk of okra has this misplaced Alaskan curious. Having never even tasted okra - is there a consensus on the best way to cook it? This looks like it was boiled and then battered and fried - is that the norm? (hard to imagine ANYTHING that wouldn't taste good battered and fried...)

Thanks!

Can’t really get any better than that. The catfish looked perfectly breaded and fried. Okra, well there just ain’t no way to make it bad. One of God’s best gifts. You did it right... again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Kevin! Some of my favorite finger foods. :grin:

The food is always excellent....looks like you had a nice breeze too!

Thank you Randy! There were white caps for a few days. I kept rocks in my pockets to keep from blowing away. :laugh:

All this talk of okra has this misplaced Alaskan curious. Having never even tasted okra - is there a consensus on the best way to cook it? This looks like it was boiled and then battered and fried - is that the norm? (hard to imagine ANYTHING that wouldn't taste good battered and fried...)

Thanks!

I like okra battered and fried. The pot in the pic is just the oil heating up.
Okra has a slimy texture that some people dislike, but if you fry it, it takes care of the problem. Sometimes I use it in gumbo to thicken the pot.
I love it pickled too.
If you've ever had cactus (nopales), the slimy texture is about the same.
Not sure if that helps. lol Hope you give it a try sometime!
Thanks! :grin:

I'll definitely give it a try. Not very common where I came from - not sure about here, but there's a LOT better selection at the grocers here than I'm used to!

I've always used filé powder in my gumbo as a substitute for okra. Those without learn to make do. Live in small town Alaska long enough and you become an expert at substituting in recipes.

I'll definitely give it a try. Not very common where I came from - not sure about here, but there's a LOT better selection at the grocers here than I'm used to!

I've always used filé powder in my gumbo as a substitute for okra. Those without learn to make do. Live in small town Alaska long enough and you become an expert at substituting in recipes.

Dave, I bet you can find frozen okra up there. Most of the time, it's already breaded and ready to fry.
Your filé powder is a great substitute! I keep it on hand too. :grin:
I envy your small town Alaska experience. I'm in the middle of nowhere here and enjoy the quiet. Small town Alaska or no town Alaska would be even better. :grin: Good luck with the okra!

I love your style, Jeanie. I fried up some catfish and a huge red ear (my daughter caught) last night. Your meal looks awesome.

Oh yeah Jeanie, nuff said.

Thanks Marty! :grin:

And there is a meal I have never said yuck to. Nice job Jeanie!!
lol Thank you Jeremy! It's one of my favorites. :grin:

Catfish looks perfectly cooked Jeanie and that fried okra... Thanks for sharing.
Thanks so much Bill! :hug:

I love your style, Jeanie. I fried up some catfish and a huge red ear (my daughter caught) last night. Your meal looks awesome.

Very kind of you William, thanks! Congratulations to your daughter on the red ear catch, that's great. Bet it was delicious! :grin:

Yep, that is definitely on the menu for Saturday night. Just wish I had some fresh like yours! As always, Jeanie, you inspire.

Thanks Lloyd! Hope you take some pics of your cook. I know it will be killer!

Thank you Robert! I like the sound of the Louisiana Green Velvet. Will look for seeds here. I planted a variety this year. Some that I had from last year, mostly Clemson Spineless. They always grow so fast, I have a hard time keeping up with them before they get too big. I slice and roll the okra in cornmeal, then bag and freeze. Also make pickled okra. Your variety sounds like what I need. Thanks for the info!
My favorite catfish bait is Sonny's. I also use worms and minnows. :grin:

The seeds are often hard to find. I usually have to go to one of the few old time feed and seed stores and sometimes they don't have them. A couple of years ago I had to order some from some heirloom seed company and got 20 seeds for $5.00 and only 10 germinated. However, that was enough for my family. I have grown Clemson spineless and they turn woody so fast. The LGV seem to have a little bit more grace period on turning woody. Along with the longer pods and multiple branches, I have plenty of Okra to put into the freezer. I planted 12 plants this year, but only 9 survived.

I've never tried Sonny's. Guess I need to try it sometime.

Robert

Great, as always, Jeanie! I love your posts.

Thank you Kanco! Very kind of you! :grin:

Thank you Robert! I like the sound of the Louisiana Green Velvet. Will look for seeds here. I planted a variety this year. Some that I had from last year, mostly Clemson Spineless. They always grow so fast, I have a hard time keeping up with them before they get too big. I slice and roll the okra in cornmeal, then bag and freeze. Also make pickled okra. Your variety sounds like what I need. Thanks for the info!

The seeds are often hard to find. I usually have to go to one of the few old time feed and seed stores and sometimes they don't have them. A couple of years ago I had to order some from some heirloom seed company and got 20 seeds for $5.00 and only 10 germinated. However, that was enough for my family. I have grown Clemson spineless and they turn woody so fast. The LGV seem to have a little bit more grace period on turning woody. Along with the longer pods and multiple branches, I have plenty of Okra to put into the freezer. I planted 12 plants this year, but only 9 survived.

Robert

Thank you Robert. Do you ever save seeds from the end of the year? Sounds like they won't be easy to find here, I'll check online.
I appreciate the info!
Sonny's is out of Iowa I think. It's getting harder to find too. lol

Robert

Robert, I found some seeds online! Thanks again for the info, I appreciate it! :grin:

Dang it Jeanie...If only I'd a known I coulda come and we woulda had twice as many catfish in yer basket...Oh well...I know it was good eating...

When it comes to okra I like to pick em small...No more than 3 inches...Maybe 4...That way the seeds are still small and tender...But you know that...

The green velvet seeds shouldn't be hard to find...I think they had em at Walmart this spring...When I grew em they were 13 feet tall...Tough pickin the end of the season...I stick with the Clemson now and still cant reach the tops on some of em...

Good to see ya again girl...

Back