Baked Hamburger Steak n Onion Gravy

My favorite is breaded pork schnitzel with mushroom and onion gravy, garlic mash with gravy, and frozen, or canned corn.

But a second choice, and don't knock it till you try it, breaded haddock/Cod, or flounder smothered in gravy with mash w/gravy and corn or green beans with a side salad w/french dressing.

Gravy on cod... is it brown or white gravy?

Interesting! I love cod and fry it pretty often. I'll try the gravy next time. :grin:

I am going to make it tomorrow, and will post pics in this thread. Ive been craving it since this thread made me think about it.

I am sure you probably catch your own Cod and bread it, thats just how you do. But i just buy restaurant quality breaded Cod from RD since im nowhere near the Ocean.

I am going to make it tomorrow, and will post pics in this thread. Ive been craving it since this thread made me think about it.

I am sure you probably catch your own Cod and bread it, thats just how you do. But i just buy restaurant quality breaded Cod from RD since im nowhere near the Ocean.

lol Thanks! Looking forward to your pics!
I wish! I have to get my cod from the fish dept. at the grocery store.

lol Thanks! Looking forward to your pics!
I wish! I have to get my cod from the fish dept. at the grocery store.

If you bread your own, use a Panko breading as it soaks up the gravy better and still has that crunch to make a texture party in your mouth. I dredge in plain flour, then a 50/50 mix of flour and cornstarch and milk to make a thin batter, then coat in Panko.

If you bread your own, use a Panko breading as it soaks up the gravy better and still has that crunch to make a texture party in your mouth. I dredge in plain flour, then a 50/50 mix of flour and cornstarch and milk to make a thin batter, then coat in Panko.

That sound similar to what I use on cod!

Jeanie, I'll throw another term in the ring.

These are known as Rissoles in England / Australia / New Zealand. Mum used to do this a lot when I was a kid. Nearly forgotten until I saw this thread. I'd like to think hers were half as good as yours.

I'm really thinking of giving this a go. I really love your interpretation of it.

Cheers!

Bill

Well now I’m thinking hamburger steak with American cheese, then sautéed onions and McCormick brown gravy, and I just got through eating breakfast!

Love the crust on those steaks, Jeanie! Not a big fan of meatloaf, but I'd dive headfirst into that for sure!

Thanks Guys!
Those Rissoles sound tasty, Bill. I'll check them out!
Jeremy, cheese would be an interesting addition! Let me know if you make it, please!

I'm thinking so too, Negolien! :grin:

Thanks Richard! I'm picky about meatloaf. I won't order it in a cafe. :laugh:

Back