Biscuits n Gravy

Thanks so much for the nice comments! You're a kind group of friends! :grin:

My quote feature isn't working. I probably broke it. :laugh:

@Maylar..
They are just baking powder biscuits. I think the original recipe came from a can of clabber girl baking powder years ago.

2 cups of flour
1/4 cup of lard
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
about 1 tsp sugar ( you can add more or less)
and 3/4 cup of milk
Combine the dry ingredients well, then work the lard in completely. Add the milk last..

I don't measure anymore. I just guestimate when camping. lol

fat_bastard
On the road to being a farker

That looks amazing! Recipe?

I make the gravy on the thin side, it thickens while cooking. Then smoosh the biscuits to about 1 1/2 inches thick so they will cook through. The gravy needs to be hot when I plop the biscuits on top.
I do not put any heat beneath the dutch oven. I scoot the hot coals to the side and place some coals on top of the lid.
I rotate both the oven and the lid in opposite directions while the biscuits and gravy cook. This helps them brown evenly.

Hope you give it a go sometime! :grin:

Wow Bob! Good to see ya! Hope all is well with you and family. I'm sure you're keeping busy! Hope you stick around!
Thanks for the kind comment. :grin:

Never seen biscuits cooked from "raw" in the gravy like that before, but I may have to try it that way. I like the added touch of bacon wrap I'll have to try as well.

Not home made, but when in a pinch or need a quick heat-em-up biscuit that goes well with homemade gravy is the frozen rolls you get at Sams in the white bag. I heat them up however I can with whatever I got, then break them up into bowls, then pour the gravy on top right before serving. They very lightly brown up on top really good and have a thicker outer type crust that has some chew which I like, and they don't get as soggy as regular biscuits as quick if you have to step away to cook more or tend to kids.

I normally throw some vinegar pepper sauce and extra crushed black pepper on mine for some added zing. Hot sauces normally take over too much for me, but the pepper sauce is a nice light touch that helps break through some of the fat.

Beautiful work as always Jeanie! What could be better than biscuits in gravy? Adding bacon to the biscuits!

:eusa_clap

Bruce

Never seen biscuits cooked from "raw" in the gravy like that before, but I may have to try it that way. I like the added touch of bacon wrap I'll have to try as well.

Not home made, but when in a pinch or need a quick heat-em-up biscuit that goes well with homemade gravy is the frozen rolls you get at Sams in the white bag. I heat them up however I can with whatever I got, then break them up into bowls, then pour the gravy on top right before serving. They very lightly brown up on top really good and have a thicker outer type crust that has some chew which I like, and they don't get as soggy as regular biscuits as quick if you have to step away to cook more or tend to kids.

I normally throw some vinegar pepper sauce and extra crushed black pepper on mine for some added zing. Hot sauces normally take over too much for me, but the pepper sauce is a nice light touch that helps break through some of the fat.

Sounds delicious! I don't have a Sams store close by but maybe Walmart might carry the rolls? I'll check.
I love lots of pepper in the gravy too. Vinegar pepper sauce sounds tasty!
Thanks! Hope you give this a try sometime!

Thanks Kevin! This might be my favorite camp breakfast.
Hope you have great luck with dove season.. if you go!

We've already been out and had pretty good luck. We've got a few nice spots near water, sunflowers, etc. and have had a great time so far. Like usual, I expect it to be hot (productive hunting) early then taper off. I'm hunting places that my Grandpa took me as a boy, that I hunted all my life, then took my kids, now taking my grandson. Doesn't get much better...

Sounds delicious! I don't have a Sams store close by but maybe Walmart might carry the rolls? I'll check.

Yes, Walmart carries them. I believe their called Marie's or Maria's (some "M" name) yeast rolls or something like that.

EDIT: Found them:

https://sisterschuberts.com/products/dinner-yeast-rolls/

Last edited:
We've already been out and had pretty good luck. We've got a few nice spots near water, sunflowers, etc. and have had a great time so far. Like usual, I expect it to be hot (productive hunting) early then taper off. I'm hunting places that my Grandpa took me as a boy, that I hunted all my life, then took my kids, now taking my grandson. Doesn't get much better...

Kevin, that's great! You're right, it doesn't get better than that!! What great memories your kids and grandson will have. Very cool! :cool::-D

jrTheSmoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Yes, Walmart carries them. I believe their called Marie's or Maria's (some "M" name) yeast rolls or something like that.

EDIT: Found them:

https://sisterschuberts.com/products...r-yeast-rolls/

Thanks so much! I googled the local walmart, they are out. The local grocery store has them with a limit of 3. They must be good! :-D I'll pick some up next time I go to town.

Not a huge fan of biscuits...prefer English muffins as a breakfast starch. That said, I'd eat 3 or 4 of those, Jeanie!

Not a huge fan of biscuits...prefer English muffins as a breakfast starch. That said, I'd eat 3 or 4 of those, Jeanie!

You should try grands crescent rolls. Flaten the entire thing out, add crumbled sausage, roll it up and slice them into 2 inch thick rolls, put into a cast iron pan with some butter and bake. Then top with more sausage gravy. I personally prefer the texture and flavor of crescents over biscuits.

I'm no longer allowed to eat biscuits and gravy :sad: but a plate of those would surely tempt me to break the rules!

Wonder what english muffins would taste like smothered in gravy. I might have to give it a try! Thanks Erik! :grin:

PitRow I'm no longer allowed to eat biscuits and gravy but a plate of those would surely tempt me to break the rules!

Shoot! Sorry to hear biscuits and gravy are off the list, Mike! Thanks for the kind comment! :grin:

Back