THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It doesn't get any better than that Jeanie, a beautiful setting, fishing, a camp fire and chowing down on catfish nuggets and okra, your living a wonderful life.

Wonderful looking meal Jeanie. Love that "stringer" btw, I've never had much trouble with racoons but turtles have got mine a couple times.

Nice looking frying session there! Frying without a temp gauge... that's some experience showing there.

Looks delicious, can you talk me thru the Okra, I have only eaten it once in a gumbo

Thank you Titch! Not sure if I can describe the flavor of okra, it's mild, sort of like a green bean. I love it fried! You might be able to find frozen, pre-breaded okra in your stores. Not sure though. I love to batter and fry pickled okra too. Thanks again!

Looks great Jen a buddy at work brought me a grocery sack full of okra yesterday... might just open the deep freeze pull out some catfish and fry up the okra too...... simple but delicious.... thx for sharing

Thanks so much Paul! Great about the okra, That was nice of your friend!
Good to see ya! :grin:

Good times and good food Neighbor!

Had catfish, onion rings, and tatoes the night before last and it was good but not fresh caught - The best!

Not a big fan of okra but MSD would be all over that.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks Neighbor! Dang, your meal sounds excellent! I love onion rings. lol

Thank you Ed!

That is superb! I love catfish and fried okra big time.

Thank you Blue! Glad to hear it! Catfish n okra are both some of my favorites. :grin:

Once again---Jeanie cooks 2 of my favorite food groups. 8)
A couple of hush puppies on the side and I would be all over that!

TIM
Thanks so much Tim! Good to see ya! :grin: Hope you stay safe with the storm!!

Looks great!! Those are two things I love, but hardly ever have.

Thank you mstewart! Hope you get to fry some up soon. I love catfish and okra too. :grin:

That's about all you need right there! Love the cage, the cook, the setting - all that! Nicely done, Jeanie! Catfish and fried okra are a couple of my favorite things by far. :hungry:

Thanks Greg!! I know I cook this almost every time I go to the lake. It's not fancy but I love it. Glad to hear you're a fan of the two too! :grin:
Btw, your pig cook looked awesome!! Good eats right there!

Simple done to perfection.:clap2:

Thank you so much Sir! I like "simple" meals. Suites me pretty well. :biggrin1:

It doesn't get any better than that Jeanie, a beautiful setting, fishing, a camp fire and chowing down on catfish nuggets and okra, your living a wonderful life.

Thank you Bill! Pretty relaxing out there.. I need to go back soon. :grin:

Last edited:
Wonderful looking meal Jeanie. Love that "stringer" btw, I've never had much trouble with racoons but turtles have got mine a couple times.
Thank you Joe! That basket really works well. I have the larger holes covered with chicken wire. Shoot...turtles can be a real pain! Hope you're getting some fishing in this summer. :grin:

Leading the life, looks like paradise from over here!
Hey Joe, good to see ya! Thanks so much!

My problem would be do you fill up on catfish first or okra, two of my favorite dish's.

I hope you're staying safe Randall! Thank you! I hear ya... by the time I sample fish while cooking, I'm too full to eat any more. lol

Nice looking frying session there! Frying without a temp gauge... that's some experience showing there.

Thank you Czarbecue! I use a sacrificial okra... when I get the oil hot enough, I drop an okra in and see how long it takes to rise to the top. lol I don't own thermometers. :grin:

Thanks again everyone!

Looks delicious, but was curious about your catfish breading-it looked tasty. Was that a store brand or the Cowgirl house brand?

Thanks Rocky Branch! I use a mixture of cornmeal, a little bit of flour, salt, cayenne and sometimes lemon pepper. I mix it by color then put a pinch on the end of my tongue to see if it needs any adjustments. I never measure, just go by taste. I like a little bit of heat to it.
After cleaning the fish, I soak them in salt water, overnight if possible, I squeeze lemon juice over the fish while preparing the cornmeal mix.
Hope that makes sense. lol Thanks again!

Well I got some Okra, now what?seed them?
Beer batter work do you think

I don't seed them, just slice them and soak in milk for a half hour or so. Then dip them in a mixture of ..
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
cayenne to taste
salt, pepper and a bit of garlic powder

Fry til golden and salt if needed after removing from the oil.
Hope they work out well for you Titch!

Not in half. Slice them into about 1/2 inch slices. They are slimy inside but they will firm up when fried til crisp.

Back