Question for Shirley Owners

I would take many other options before the insulated firebox. Stainless table, trailer, cabinet doors, extra shelves, 30 inch upgrade, more temp probe locations, propane burners....would all come before insulated firebox.

I may change my tune this winter but I doubt it.

You guys say what you will, but I haven't heard anyone who actually got the insulated firebox say they wished they hadn't... I love mine!

I doubt anyone would regret the insulated firebox. They are a great feature and it looks amazing. I was dead set on getting one. I had to stop myself or I would have ended up getting everything. Thought about it as needs vs wants. Still probably got more than I need but at least I feel a little better about it. The Shirleys build such a nice cooker that it is very easy to go crazy.:heh:

So the wife and I met Paul and Sharon yesterday at his place... I know it's been said a million times, but he's the real deal. We were there maybe 45 minutes, got the tour, met Tyler and the rest of his boys, talked BBQ and cookers. The pictures on here and on FB do not do them justice. They are works of art.

When all was said and done, a deposit put down and a handshake later, I couldn't be more pleased with the way this went. After talking with Paul about what I wanted, options etc., here's what he's going to build for me:

30x60 trailer model - basically copying a trailer he had there
Square back
Cabinet doors
Insulated box
Three full shelves in the main cook chamber
Three probe inserts on the back side with the removable shelf
Stainless shelf
Burner up front
Full damper system for the warmer/main chamber

I wouldnt rule out changes in the months before construction starts :loco:

But man, simple, honest, genuine businessman. Very rare breed these days.

Long wait till this fall, but good things are worth waiting for... also want to thank everyone who shared their insight in this thread, really helped zero in on what I wanted.

Now to find something to pass the time....

Without a doubt, my next pit will be an 80" Shirley with insulated firebox, warmer and cabinet doors....the wife has given the "ok" but we just need move out of CA first.

Insulated firebox is niiiiiice. I love the stainless shelf and can't imagine not having it. Items I wish I had gotten: spare tire (did not know it wasn't standard), propane burner or two and a longer chamber (I got the 60").

Just cooked for 250 people this week. Absolutely great product was turned out. But, I bought this cooker for personal use.

So the wife and I met Paul and Sharon yesterday at his place... I know it's been said a million times, but he's the real deal. We were there maybe 45 minutes, got the tour, met Tyler and the rest of his boys, talked BBQ and cookers. The pictures on here and on FB do not do them justice. They are works of art.

When all was said and done, a deposit put down and a handshake later, I couldn't be more pleased with the way this went. After talking with Paul about what I wanted, options etc., here's what he's going to build for me:

30x60 trailer model - basically copying a trailer he had there
Square back
Cabinet doors
Insulated box
Three full shelves in the main cook chamber
Three probe inserts on the back side with the removable shelf
Stainless shelf
Burner up front
Full damper system for the warmer/main chamber

I wouldnt rule out changes in the months before construction starts :loco:

But man, simple, honest, genuine businessman. Very rare breed these days.

Long wait till this fall, but good things are worth waiting for... also want to thank everyone who shared their insight in this thread, really helped zero in on what I wanted.

Now to find something to pass the time....

Congrats. Paul made quite the impression on me and my two buddies when we stopped there. Next time I'm back in the south I'm going to make my way by Paul's to say hi and check out his latest works of art. We all thought the same thing and the most impressive thing to me was how Paul helped me out and I didn't buy anything from him, nor would he take a dime from me for his time/effort. If there is a more professional and stand up guy out there in this market, I would be absolutely surprised. He's the kind of guy that I honestly think you could drop five bucks on the ground and he'd chase you half way through Alabama to make sure you got it back. It's funny that my buddy who I work with just said the other day - "I wonder what Paul's building these days.... he sure was a great guy and I wish we could have stayed for a few beers!"

Back