Planning my Shirley Build - What are your favorite features or extras on your smoker?

So how much are the upgrades?

3/8” Firebox
1/2" Firebox
Insulated Firebox w/ 3/4" plate door
Cabinet Doors
Warmer (28” tall) (2 shelf / patio model)
Elevated warmer (36” tall)
Rotated Warmer (facing the same way as chamber door/doors)
Straight Back Model
Elevated Cabinet w/ 3rd grate in the cook chamber
5’ wide trailer
6’ wide trailer
Removable trailer tongue
Extra Grate in warmer (per grate)
Both Dampers (Firebox to Warmer, Chamber to Warmer)
Shelf in front of cook chamber (trailer model)
Stainless steel Shelf in front of cook chamber
Wood basket on back side of cook chamber
Ash Pan / Charcoal Grate for direct cooking in the main chamber
Extra Thermometers (per thermometer)
Triangular part of trailer tongue with railing covered with expanded metal for storage
Single burner w/ tank holder
Dual burners w/ tank holder
Probe inserts (per insert)
Hip roof on warmer
Hip roof on chamber
Trailer painted a different color than black (the trailer can be painted any color)

join the Shirley Fan Page and there is a price list for upgrades in the file section . pick your cooker that you want on their website and just add the upgrades from the list and sorry to many things to price out that you posted . :becky:

Is that on here or FB

Is there fan page on here or Facebook? I am excited you let me know. Did you get the square bacK?

I have a weed burner, but rarely use it since I bought a Cajun Dragon. It works much better IMHO and it quite a bit safer:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I would suggest you forego the insulated or heavier version. I'm not familiar with Shirley, but I do have a horiz offset stick burner and a vertical stickburner in SoCal, both uninsulated. I've never had an issue using them here nor, in prior moves, in Texas or in England in snow, sleet, or cold rain.

I realize my views likely don't match most Brethren's, but IMHO insulating a stickburner is unnecessary and highly overrated (unless you live up north in a really cold climate). On the downside it adds a lot of weight if you ever want to move it, whether on a trailer or just around the back yard. And the extra cost.

Plus, frankly I've just never seen the point of deciding to buy a stickburner and then doing everything possible to minimize the amount of sticks you burn, which seems to be how many folks approach it. If you have decided you want to cook with smoke from wood logs, and you are spending a lot of money on a smoker with which to do so, I humbly suggest you plan to burn some wood! Just my POV.

Last edited:
I would suggest you forego the insulated or heavier version. I'm not familiar with Shirley, but I do have a horiz offset stick burner and a vertical stickburner in SoCal, both uninsulated. I've never had an issue using them here nor, in prior moves, in Texas or in England in snow, sleet, or cold rain.

I realize my views likely don't match most Brethren's, but IMHO insulating a stickburner is unnecessary and highly overrated (unless you live up north in a really cold climate). On the downside it adds a lot of weight if you ever want to move it, whether on a trailer or just around the back yard. And the extra cost.

Plus, frankly I've just never seen the point of deciding to buy a stickburner and then doing everything possible to minimize the amount of sticks you burn, which seems to be how many folks approach it. If you have decided you want to cook with smoke from wood logs, and you are spending a lot of money on a smoker with which to do so, I humbly suggest you plan to burn some wood! Just my POV.
Totally agree with your entire post. My reasons were to keep paint nice (have seen a lot of bad looking fireboxes on newish cookers), safer to use since you would really have to try to burn yourself, it looks nicer to me and resale value. Doesn't make the food taste better or you a better cook. Money is probably better don't on other options if you have to choose.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mine is a standard thickness, 3 year old cooker with no touch ups ever. Here is what my FB looks like now. Mind you I build my fires in the center/back of the firebox. I cook on it a lot.

Just a bit of discoloration. Not enough to worry about IMHO.
88f98bb6a5b3bf53749b54cc15ea8175.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mine is a standard thickness, 3 year old cooker with no touch ups ever. Here is what my FB looks like now. Mind you I build my fires in the center/back of the firebox. I cook on it a lot.

Just a bit of discoloration. Not enough to worry about IMHO.
88f98bb6a5b3bf53749b54cc15ea8175.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I bet the new fire baskets help to keep heat from hitting the sides too. Yours looks great for the age and usage. These kind of pics are what made me go insulated. While better than most after years of use I wanted to avoid it if I could.
15467ad16765631f188cc733215437b4.jpg
3d4bcfd48e162a12f033b402fee57a95.jpg
14a4ebb57260a59cf19e0fc17abdc0d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wood is expensive here, the extra cost of an insulated firebox would be offset by the savings in wood for me in months.

Even in the summer it's cold at nights here at altitude, and I cook outdoors all year round, so for me the choice is obvious.

I had an office in Geneva for 5 years so I feel your pain. And that's not even at altitude . . . .

I've found tons of fruitwood with no problem, usually quite cheap or free, which bI use now, and I did find some good sources for white oak, mulberry, and beech, so the wood is there, it's just pretty costly. It's too bad that in my region it's all pretty much varieties of pine that is available by the stair.

Back