Planning my Shirley Build - What are your favorite features or extras on your smoker?

Smithers1945

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi Gents.

I made a post the other week asking for input on if I should put a deposit down and get on Shirley's build list or have a smoker built by someone closer to me on the West Coast. I opted to put a deposit down, and am now on Paul's build list. I'm beyond excited.

Since I have time before Paul begins my build, and this will be a custom made smoker, I want to do it right the first time and not have any regrets later down the road that I didn't add something to it that I wish had.

So my question is, for you Shirley owners and non-Shirley owners, what are some of the extras or unique features to your smoker you really like or think are necessary? I'm not asking so I can ask Paul to directly copy anything, but rather as something for inspiration.

Here's what I have so far for my build:
24x42 patio model
Warmer box with both dampers
Raised grate in warmer, ash pan for grilling
Charcoal grate in main chamber with ash pan for the ability to grill in main chamber, and the ability to store the grate on the back of the smoker
Ash pan in firebox
Welded ledge for either a DigiQ or Thermoworks Smoke to sit on
Hip Roof on warmer
Elevated cabinet with 3rd grate
Sausage hangers
May add a stainless shelf

Thanks guys

Last edited:
You suuuuure you won't ever want to take it somewhere?

I have thought long and hard about this, but I don't think a trailer is in the deck of cards. My driveway has zero space for a trailer, storing it on the side of the house isn't an option, and my wife definitely won't let me have a trailer in the backyard lol. I figure if I am going to ever move it, I'll rent a Uhaul trailer.

Cabinet doors and extra rack slides,SS shelf with backsplash in front of cook chamber cabinet doors.

Last edited:
I’m a fan of the thicker metal fireboxes . To me, it’s worth it especially if you’re waiting so long. I see you’re in LA so it may not matter as much but it matters here

Turn them the other direction.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m a fan of the thicker metal fireboxes . To me, it’s worth it especially if you’re waiting so long. I see you’re in LA so it may not matter as much but it matters here

I thought about it, but Paul said it's really not necessary where I live. The coldest it ever gets at my house is in the low 40s in the middle of the night during winter, and then maybe 50 during the day.

Back