My Shirley Fab - First Impressions

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
Background: (A quick note for those of you who haven't heard my story):

My company moved me from my hometown of New Orleans to D.C. last year. It was a big decision for my family to make and a huge change for people who spent most of their lives south of I-10. I had a comprehensive relocation package that covered almost everything, even a relocation consultant.

As part of the move, we were asked to declare any "High Value Items" we owned. This was primarily the Mrs's wedding ring, some art, and family heirlooms. I insisted on adding my Klose 20" x 48" to the declaration form, because it was a big ticket item (at least to me). The day of the move, I supervised the crew as they tied down the racks and wrapped the pit in blankets. They carefully loaded the pit into the truck and secured it with ratchet binders.

Our delivery was delayed by a few weeks and our stuff was sent to storage. When it was delivered, my Klose was not on the truck. I told the movers that they better find it. Then I was told it was being delivered separately. Later in the day second truck arrived. When they opened the doors, my Klose was laying on its side, unwrapped, untied, and the racks were hanging out. It took 5 guys to stand it up. The tables were bent. The wheels were bent and it didn't sit level. The paint had been worn through to the bare metal.

I was upset, but not panicked. I had been wise to declare it, right? Not so fast - the movers claimed that I had used the wrong form and that it wasn't covered. I explained to them that I used the form that *they* gave me. They still said, "Wrong Form". They claimed that their liability was limited to $1000.

I am telling you all of this for a reason. If you stuck with me this far, read on! - So I went back and read the contract. It had a clause that read something like this, "You have a duty to declare high value items, such as: jewelry, art, furs, CD's, etc. If you fail to properly declare such items, our liability is limited to $100 per pound."

I cut-and-paste that clause into an e-mail with a note that stated that I had declared my pit as a high value item. However, if I had declared it incorrectly, It weighed 1100 lbs and that their liability would be capped at $110,000! (Editor's note: I received a check for full replacement value within 24 hours.)

Now, I'm not a guy who buys and sells and trades stuff. When I bought my Klose, it was my "forever" pit. However, I bought it in 2010, before I ever heard of the brethren or Shirley Fab. Also, Klose's prices have nearly tripled since I bought mine. After doing some research, I realized that I could get a decent Shirley trailer from what it would have cost to replace my Klose patio model.

Long story even longer, I placed my deposit with Paul and waited my turn.

Fast forward 18 months:

After a year+ of talking to Paul, I recently drove down to Tuscaloosa to pick up my Shirley Fab 24" x 60" traditional door trailer model. I know everyone is going for cabinets, but I like the look and thinker steel that comes with a traditional model.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

First impressions:

This thing is a work of art. The welds are flawless. The doors seal tight. It is well thought out.

I picked it up the two days before we went on vacation. When I returned, it rained for a week straight. Last Sunday, I finally got to do a burn-in and seasoning.

I used the Cajun Dragon to light five splits. The Cajun Dragon remains my favorite way to light a stickburner.

OK, Wow! - Shirley Fab has nailed it with their fire basket design. My Klose had 1" expanded metal for the fire grate. It was designed to be a free flowing offset and burned fuel accordingly.

The Shirley has cross-hatched expanded metal in it's high-walled fore basket. This design holds the embers and prevents the fire from spreading out and "crashing".

I built a large fire for my burn in and seasoning, but I did not anticipate 2 hours at 300°+

Wow.

man that pit looks sweet, bet it cooks even better . if I was to get one I would get it just like that round instead of the cabinet style

I love that you put the fine print up their...
Nice cooker!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Happy smoking, I love mine. Might have to get me a door counterweight though, I'm getting old.

Very well done. And good on you for maintaining your cool when you opened up that truck and saw your pit on its side. I shipped one of my smokers to England in a relo (and back 5 years later). I would have lost my sh** if mine had arrived like that.

At least they made it right and you ended up better than before!!

Very nice story and outcome. This is the very reason I listed my Bandera smoker on my homeowners insurance. In Texas, it's worth at least $5000, right?!?

So what happened to the bent up Klose? You get to keep it too? Bet Paul can fix it. They’d look sweet next to each other!

"I insisted on adding my Klose 20" x 48" to the declaration form, because it was a big ticket item (at least to me). The day of the move, I supervised the crew as they tied down the racks and wrapped the pit in blankets. They carefully loaded the pit into the truck and secured it with ratchet binders.

Our delivery was delayed by a few weeks and our stuff was sent to storage. When it was delivered, my Klose was not on the truck. I told the movers that they better find it. Then I was told it was being delivered separately. Later in the day second truck arrived. When they opened the doors, my Klose was laying on its side, unwrapped, untied, and the racks were hanging out. It took 5 guys to stand it up. The tables were bent. The wheels were bent and it didn't sit level. The paint had been worn through to the bare metal.

I was upset, but not panicked. I had been wise to declare it, right? Not so fast - the movers claimed that I had used the wrong form and that it wasn't covered. I explained to them that I used the form that *they* gave me. They still said, "Wrong Form". They claimed that their liability was limited to $1000.

I am telling you all of this for a reason. If you stuck with me this far, read on! - So I went back and read the contract. It had a clause that read something like this, "You have a duty to declare high value items, such as: jewelry, art, furs, CD's, etc. If you fail to properly declare such items, our liability is limited to $100 per pound."

I cut-and-paste that clause into an e-mail with a note that stated that I had declared my pit as a high value item. However, if I had declared it incorrectly, It weighed 1100 lbs and that their liability would be capped at $110,000! (Editor's note: I received a check for full replacement value within 24 hours.)"

I'm glad it worked out for you and I like how you were able to stick it back to them and you didn't have to get a lawyer to help you out. Ethics is a big thing in business. What they attempted to do is unethical and I'm sure they do it multiple times per day.

Enjoy your Shirley.

Robert

Last edited:
Good lesson for anybody going through a move - glad it worked out ok. Great looking cooker.

Back