Planning my Shirley Build - What are your favorite features or extras on your smoker?

If your getting the shelf to set your el3ctroincs on the add the paper towel holder to it.

I may as well while I'm at it. I don't think I'll use it much as my smoker will be no more than 40 feet from the kitchen, but I can probably also use it to hang tools or anything else from.

I thought about it, but Paul said it's really not necessary where I live. The coldest it ever gets at my house is in the low 40s in the middle of the night during winter, and then maybe 50 during the day.

It’s all about where to spend the treasure .

I’m guessing you’re envisioning a cooker for the ages. Full force. No regrets.

If you’re on a lean budget, I respect that, but if you got two years of hard earned money saved, go Insulated baby!! SoCal or not, you’ll be wondering how cool and efficient it would be to have the best insulated firebox available

What do you guys think about adding the ability to start the wood with propane? I recall either reading on the forum or hearing it on one of Paul's video that he doesn't do it. I don't know why, but it seems like a great idea. I see it's an option on the Lone Star Grillz smokers, and it looks like a great way to get the fire going in a relatively contained manner. I don't see myself using a weed burner and sending sparks flying all over, especially since I am in a burn area.

I have thought long and hard about this, but I don't think a trailer is in the deck of cards. My driveway has zero space for a trailer, storing it on the side of the house isn't an option, and my wife definitely won't let me have a trailer in the backyard lol. I figure if I am going to ever move it, I'll rent a Uhaul trailer.

$500 will convert the cart to a baby trailer. Check the Facebook group for some pictures of the smoker that went to the California Highway Patrol guys. One of them was basically your model on a trailer meant for an area with no parking space! His was a square back cabinet model though.

"Cute" comes to mind looking at it.

Last edited:
... weed burner and sending sparks flying all over, especially since I am in a burn area.

Weed burner all the way for me!

If your weed burner is sending sparks everywhere, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG! Especially in a firebox!

I get how it would be a problem in a fence row on a windy day during a drought though. :wink:

What do you guys think about adding the ability to start the wood with propane? I recall either reading on the forum or hearing it on one of Paul's video that he doesn't do it. I don't know why, but it seems like a great idea. I see it's an option on the Lone Star Grillz smokers, and it looks like a great way to get the fire going in a relatively contained manner. I don't see myself using a weed burner and sending sparks flying all over, especially since I am in a burn area.

I’ll eat humble pie that I was a naysayer about weed burners. Said no way, no how with little kids.

THEN a weed burner was GIVEN to me with my Vault and, Man, is it cool. If nothing other than being my 8th grader self three decades later. It gets the cooker up to temp, and it gives the gift of time. Instead of 60-75 minutes for my Shirley or 90 min on my Vault, I’m ready to have meat on grates in 20-25 min. It pretty much gives me an hour of my day back.

I agree with Paul that you want to keep puncturing the firebox to a minimum. I’m also happy Tyler made my guru adapter as a pinwheel with two 3/4 inch couplers so I never had to compromise the integrity of the firebox

It’s all about where to spend the treasure .

I’m guessing you’re envisioning a cooker for the ages. Full force. No regrets.

If you’re on a lean budget, I respect that, but if you got two years of hard earned money saved, go Insulated baby!! SoCal or not, you’ll be wondering how cool and efficient it would be to have the best insulated firebox available

That's a safe assumption. I look at it as I don't live anywhere close to Paul, and can't make a 1 or 2 day trip to drop it off in case I ever want to add anything to it. This thing is coming to the West Coast and probably living out it's pampered life here lol.

Do you think I will notice a big difference with having the insulated firebox? From what I have read, it seems like I will need to add a log about once every 45 mins or so without the insulated firebox... Not sure if that's accurate or not. But assuming it is, how much more time would the insulated firebox add?

That's a safe assumption. I look at it as I don't live anywhere close to Paul, and can't make a 1 or 2 day trip to drop it off in case I ever want to add anything to it. This thing is coming to the West Coast and probably living out it's pampered life here lol.

Do you think I will notice a big difference with having the insulated firebox? From what I have read, it seems like I will need to add a log about once every 45 mins or so without the insulated firebox... Not sure if that's accurate or not. But assuming it is, how much more time would the insulated firebox add?
In my experience it allows me to use smaller splits but I'm still adding sticks every 45 minutes. I haven't tried bigger sticks to extend time as I'm OCD about the temp range being tighter than 50 degrees. I use the same size splits as I did in my 24x36 regular offset without an insulated firebox.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm on the fence myself about making the leap. I'm curious how you're handling shipping that beast out here? I was thinking;
24x42 or 50 Patio on some custom wheels
Cabinet doors
Dual dampeners
Sausage hooks
3 grates in the main and warmer

Last edited:
I'm on the fence myself about making the leap. I'm curious how you're handling shipping that beast out here? I was thinking;
24x42 or 50 Patio on some custom wheels
Cabinet doors
Dual dampeners
Sausage hooks
3 grates in the main and warmer

When there's a will, there's a way. I will likely find someone on Uship, and also see if Paul has anyone he knows who may want to make some extra cash and drive it to me. If you are seriously considering it, it may not be a bad idea to check with Paul on how far out your completion date would be from mine, and maybe both of ours could ship at the same time. Who knows, maybe it'll save us both some coin by having two shipped together instead of two separate trips. PM me if you want to discuss.

In my experience it allows me to use smaller splits but I'm still adding sticks every 45 minutes. I haven't tried bigger sticks to extend time as I'm OCD about the temp range being tighter than 50 degrees. I use the same size splits as I did in my 24x36 regular offset without an insulated firebox.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Interesting... Using smaller splits may be appealing. I'm going to have to see what the shipping cost is going to be before I decide to spend another $400-500 on the insulated fire box.

$500 will convert the cart to a baby trailer. Check the Facebook group for some pictures of the smoker that went to the California Highway Patrol guys. One of them was basically your model on a trailer meant for an area with no parking space! His was a square back cabinet model though.

"Cute" comes to mind looking at it.

I don't use FB, but I think the cooker you're referring to is the one Paul put up on YouTube the other day. Is this the one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35q8SJzksXw

Weed burner all the way for me!

If your weed burner is sending sparks everywhere, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG! Especially in a firebox!

I get how it would be a problem in a fence row on a windy day during a drought though. :wink:

And I completely agree if it were contained to the firebox. But, I watched a video on youtube of a guy starting his Shirley with a weed burner, and it looked like the sparks weren't very contained. Maybe there is an in-between option between a small torch and weed burner.

I’ll eat humble pie that I was a naysayer about weed burners. Said no way, no how with little kids.

THEN a weed burner was GIVEN to me with my Vault and, Man, is it cool. If nothing other than being my 8th grader self three decades later. It gets the cooker up to temp, and it gives the gift of time. Instead of 60-75 minutes for my Shirley or 90 min on my Vault, I’m ready to have meat on grates in 20-25 min. It pretty much gives me an hour of my day back.

I agree with Paul that you want to keep puncturing the firebox to a minimum. I’m also happy Tyler made my guru adapter as a pinwheel with two 3/4 inch couplers so I never had to compromise the integrity of the firebox

I haven't seen much online where guys are using a guru... I'd definitely be open to using one, and I am thinking of asking Paul to make me the same pinwheel. How's it been working for you?

And I completely agree if it were contained to the firebox. But, I watched a video on youtube of a guy starting his Shirley with a weed burner, and it looked like the sparks weren't very contained. Maybe there is an in-between option between a small torch and weed burner.
Sparks, why are there sparks? Build the fire at the back of the box and use the burner to start. No need to go full bore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When there's a will, there's a way. I will likely find someone on Uship, and also see if Paul has anyone he knows who may want to make some extra cash and drive it to me. If you are seriously considering it, it may not be a bad idea to check with Paul on how far out your completion date would be from mine, and maybe both of ours could ship at the same time. Who knows, maybe it'll save us both some coin by having two shipped together instead of two separate trips. PM me if you want to discuss.

Unfortunately I'm not as close to pulling the trigger yet. I just bought a Kamado Joe, so I'll have to wait a bit before I decide on getting another grill. Thanks for the offer though.

I have used a plumbers propane torch in the house fireplace without issues (don't tell the insurance agent :lol:).

Seriously, a weed burner in a firebox should be a non-issue. If you are sending sparks and embers everywhere, you don't know what you are doing or you are in a hurry and don't care.

All the weed burners I have used had an adjustable flame so, there is no reason for massive spark and ember creation being blasted out of your firebox. Pick a flame that puts enough heat on the wood or charcoal without forcefully blasting embers out. It really doesn't take that much heat to start wood or charcoal burning. Just like it's about the cook and not the smoker, something similar can be said about starting the fire with a weed burner.

I don't use FB, but I think the cooker you're referring to is the one Paul put up on YouTube the other day. Is this the one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35q8SJzksXw

Yes that Youtube has them shown but, the Facebook fan page has a much better set of pictures and discussion (details) if you are interested in that size option. You don't need a Facebook account to view most pages so, I wouldn't be paranoid about looking at stuff there. Creating an account, posting, etc. is a different topic for a different discussion thread. If you are worried about 'tracking' and ads, Facebook can be a symptom but, it isn't the disease.

I haven't seen much online where guys are using a guru... I'd definitely be open to using one, and I am thinking of asking Paul to make me the same pinwheel. How's it been working for you?

Love the guru on the Shirley! Was at an appointment with my kids and I could not only monitor the cook on my smartphone but I could DO something about it. I could tell the meat wouldn’t be done in time at 250 so I digitally stoked the fire to 275 even though I was miles away. Magic!

How much are the upgrades?

So how much are the upgrades?

3/8” Firebox
1/2" Firebox
Insulated Firebox w/ 3/4" plate door
Cabinet Doors
Warmer (28” tall) (2 shelf / patio model)
Elevated warmer (36” tall)
Rotated Warmer (facing the same way as chamber door/doors)
Straight Back Model
Elevated Cabinet w/ 3rd grate in the cook chamber
5’ wide trailer
6’ wide trailer
Removable trailer tongue
Extra Grate in warmer (per grate)
Both Dampers (Firebox to Warmer, Chamber to Warmer)
Shelf in front of cook chamber (trailer model)
Stainless steel Shelf in front of cook chamber
Wood basket on back side of cook chamber
Ash Pan / Charcoal Grate for direct cooking in the main chamber
Extra Thermometers (per thermometer)
Triangular part of trailer tongue with railing covered with expanded metal for storage
Single burner w/ tank holder
Dual burners w/ tank holder
Probe inserts (per insert)
Hip roof on warmer
Hip roof on chamber
Trailer painted a different color than black (the trailer can be painted any color)

Back