Questions for Shirley owners that have downsized

pjtexas1

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Texas Pete
...or anybody that has downsized. i guess it doesn't matter what cooker you have to relate to my question...

thinking about replacing my 24x55 elevated straight back trailer with a 24x42 elevated straight back trailer. it has recently become a small issue as the city would not allow me to build the size garage i had planned before buying my shirley. i have an extra 3 feet on the front where the burner and propane tank are mounted. never really used that feature but and i don't know if paul or tyler can just cut that off and re-mount the tongue. my garage is only 12x18 (was supposed to be 12x31) and the shirley takes up a pretty good portion. my biggest cook ever was 8 briskets and 30LBS of sausage. that only took 2.5 racks. i had a whole rack empty plus the 3 in the warmer. i am never going to use half the capacity that i have now so smaller should not be an issue.

i really liked the size of Hotch's when i saw it at the bash and the 24x42 elevated straight back that paul sent to california really caught my eye. pretty much the cooker i need vs the one i have now.

i guess my question is have you regretted going smaller? am i crazy? does it make more sense to have SF remove the burner than waiting 2 years? what are the rack sizes on the 24x42? i am thinking that if i include the warmer racks that the 24x42 will have more capacity than the main cook chamber on my 24x55. i guess i am california dreaming...:loco:

First world problem there. Sucks the city killed your garagemahal. If you dont use it id say just lose the burner. 2 years is a long wait but you would get the fun of planning out another build. Good thing is with the long wait times your old Shirley should have appreciated.

Maybe build a 3 wall patio? I would look more closely at the building problem before buying another Shirley (but that's just me, since I want a bigger garage and can relate)

Paul my my shelves are, bottom one is 23 1/4 Ă— 31, the other two are 23 1/2 Ă— 31 maybe 23 5/8th I forget since it has been a couple weeks since I measured. I figured it out that I am only 200 Sq inches short of a standard 24 x 60 with just two shelves. Also I have about 7 1/2 inches between shelves.

I have never regretting going smaller and the funny thing is I cook a heck of a lot more food than my longer ones with the straight back elevated model . I know Tyler could make it shorter with no issues or you might be able to do a trade deal with someone and cash on your end with the wait time .

Build a UDS
Buy a hunsaker? Great idea.
Maybe build a 3 wall patio? I would look more closely at the building problem before buying another Shirley (but that's just me, since I want a bigger garage and can relate)
I've looked into it. I can have as many buildings under 12x18 that I want. Some ratio thing with the size of my lots. I can build another garage on the rest of the slab that would be about 12x12. My Shirley is right at 12' so it wouldn't fit because I really want to get my truck in the 12x18.
Bummer with the shop bro

Larry

Yep. I'd like one the size of yours. Garage, I meant garage.

Sell you house, buy a house out in the county, tell the city to FO and enjoy your nice big garage and your Shirley !!:p

I tried that once. With no rules at all it was bad. Neighbors yards were trashed. Where I'm at now this is the only problem I've ever had. Even done stuff with no permit and the city was like "oh well, get a permit next time".

I have never regretting going smaller and the funny thing is I cook a heck of a lot more food than my longer ones with the straight back elevated model . I know Tyler could make it shorter with no issues or you might be able to do a trade deal with someone and cash on your end with the wait time .

Thanks! That's what I was thinking. Mine is only 22" tall but I think they go up to 26" now. Then I could get all the new options too. I'm thinking the 24x42 will probably cost more than I paid for mine 2 years ago. Guess I should get a quote to be sure.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking. Mine is only 22" tall but I think they go up to 26" now. Then I could get all the new options too. I'm thinking the 24x42 will probably cost more than I paid for mine 2 years ago. Guess I should get a quote to be sure.

hit me up on my page or messenger on face book and I will give you the currant price list buddy or email Paul or Tyler to get a exact quote .

Either way you can't go wrong. If Tyler can cut the trailer down (which he 'surely' can) you're good to go, if not, go for the smaller rig. If you haven't needed more capacity in the last two years you won't need it in the next two. You don't seem to have mentioned any plans in changing up the way you cook so there isn't really a chance that you will need more capacity, is there?

I know the feeling, being an overkill the of guy myself, but being realistic about your needs makes everything easier and you'll dig the more compact rig for it's convenience and lower wood usage.

Back