Questions for Shirley owners that have downsized

It sounds like this cooker is simply too big for your needs. Also, do you ever trailer it anywhere?

I would consider rightsizing your cooker

Only place it has gone is to the Texas bashes. For some reason I don't want a patio model. Then I would need a trailer to take it anywhere or setup a winch to get it in and out of my truck. I fear that if I get a patio model I'll find a need to take it more often.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's a fine line. With smokers the price between the models isn't as insane, but I try to think about what I will use all the time, and buy that. When my truck was totaled I looked into replacing it with something similar, but realized in a year I had only needed the bed of the truck once. I bought a crossover for quite a bit less than any of the trucks I was interested in. I've needed one a few times since then...but I can rent on those occasions for far less. It just wasn't worth the money, to me, for "I MIGHT need this feature"

It's a fine line. With smokers the price between the models isn't as insane, but I try to think about what I will use all the time, and buy that. When my truck was totaled I looked into replacing it with something similar, but realized in a year I had only needed the bed of the truck once. I bought a crossover for quite a bit less than any of the trucks I was interested in. I've needed one a few times since then...but I can rent on those occasions for far less. It just wasn't worth the money, to me, for "I MIGHT need this feature"
Funny story. I rented a truck 10 or so years back to haul some stuff that wouldn't fit in my SUV. The rental place told me I wasn't allowed to haul anything in the bed. I had to change my story before they would rent to me. Hopefully this bs has changed since then.

Only place it has gone is to the Texas bashes. For some reason I don't want a patio model. Then I would need a trailer to take it anywhere or setup a winch to get it in and out of my truck. I fear that if I get a patio model I'll find a need to take it more often.

a patio model you could leave outdoors comfortably. its much more difficult to steal since it not permanently on a getaway vehicle.

What is the real likelihood of you actually needing to trailer your cooker anywhere?

a patio model you could leave outdoors comfortably. its much more difficult to steal since it not permanently on a getaway vehicle.

What is the real likelihood of you actually needing to trailer your cooker anywhere?
Even though it's on a trailer it has the removable tongue. I move it around on the slab with just a little effort. I'd rather have the trailer option than not. Of course that's the thinking with the burner that have me in my current predicament. I love the getaway comment. :heh:

For 'weekend warrior' occasional needs, something like the ~$20 Home Depot rental makes a lot of sense.

For longer-term needs, I rented a pickup once from Hertz (might have been National?) for 3 days to go get a dual-sport motorcycle I bought that was ~350 miles away. Just be careful you don't scratch up the bed and you should be okay for most rentals from the airport rental options. Realize though that trailers and such are not allowed per most rental agreements so, rent at your own risk.

A U-haul trailer works for most people if you have a decent SUV or similar vehicle. Just be careful you don't overload it and load it properly to avoid any sway. I see a lot of cars upside down in the interstate median with family possessions strung along the shoulders of the road with an upside down Uhaul so, again do so at your own risk and read up on trailer towing if you haven't done that before.

Depending on where you live, having a trailer mounted 'patio' model would be nice for someone like me who lives in sandy and soft soil. Would I pay the $60 a year to tag it? Probably not but, I could always tow it to the church or my friend's place for special occasions. I considered making it 'moveable' with my tractor loader or a forklift but, most places aren't accessible (fenced backyards) or turf damage isn't acceptable (most wives won't be happy with ag tire tracks in their yard).

Someone on the Facebook group did this and it was a pretty 'cheap' upgrade IMHO. Whether the money is better spent on other options or meat for the smoker is a decision everyone has to make on their own.

For 'weekend warrior' occasional needs, something like the ~$20 Home Depot rental makes a lot of sense.

For longer-term needs, I rented a pickup once from Hertz (might have been National?) for 3 days to go get a dual-sport motorcycle I bought that was ~350 miles away. Just be careful you don't scratch up the bed and you should be okay for most rentals from the airport rental options. Realize though that trailers and such are not allowed per most rental agreements so, rent at your own risk.

A U-haul trailer works for most people if you have a decent SUV or similar vehicle. Just be careful you don't overload it and load it properly to avoid any sway. I see a lot of cars upside down in the interstate median with family possessions strung along the shoulders of the road with an upside down Uhaul so, again do so at your own risk and read up on trailer towing if you haven't done that before.

I personally would never be without a truck and have owned various trucks since 1993. There have been too many times where I have needed a truck at the last minute and trying to find someplace to rent one or even borrow one is not convenient.

I also always have extra vehicles because I got tired of the days when one would break down or have to have something done and I had to get it fixed now so I could go to work or had to go through the hassle of renting one.

I understand that is not an option for everyone because of room or finances.

Paul if I were you I would have a lot more cookers than I currently do! :grin: You can check my signature to verify.

Paul if I were you I would have a lot more cookers than I currently do! :grin: You can check my signature to verify.
If I were you the St Louis BBQ store would have a restraining order against me. I've never been there but it sounds like a dangerous place to visit.

Back