Boudin Discussion Thread

My folks grew up in Lake Charles and Iowa, and where I spent my summers as a kid, but you cannot forget to mention Rabideaux's of 105 and 90 in Iowa. Not to mention their cracklins or sausage. They provide sausage to Coushatta for the buffet. My grandfather has shown me Market Basket on Nelson in LC that has their own smokehouse, smells the whole store up. Now as of late, I have become a bigger fan of smoked boudin, but will not turn down a link by any means. A vendor brings us Billy's boudin balls when they come over, cant beat them. Glad this topic came up, love me boudin. C'est Bon!!

I hope our LA brethren and all brethern don't get up set by the "good boudin area" we talk about. I know there are people all over the country who can make good boudin, we just mean in general. All in fun:boxing:

I wish I had as many choices as you do. I'm surprised I can find any boudin in the Dallas area. I'm happy to have Zummo's available to me.

CD

My folks grew up in Lake Charles and Iowa, and where I spent my summers as a kid, but you cannot forget to mention Rabideaux's of 105 and 90 in Iowa. Not to mention their cracklins or sausage. They provide sausage to Coushatta for the buffet. My grandfather has shown me Market Basket on Nelson in LC that has their own smokehouse, smells the whole store up. Now as of late, I have become a bigger fan of smoked boudin, but will not turn down a link by any means. A vendor brings us Billy's boudin balls when they come over, cant beat them. Glad this topic came up, love me boudin. C'est Bon!!

I worked at a Market Basket store in Groves, Texas when I was 16. Sadly, it didn't have a smokehouse.

CD

TXM,

I have tried Rabideaux's smoked sausage, and I can't say that I am a fan. I haven't tried their boudin or cracklin's though.

David

I worked at a Market Basket store in Groves, Texas when I was 16. Sadly, it didn't have a smokehouse.

CD

There ya go! I lived in Pt. Neches in 9th and 10th grade (in the late 70's) before moving over here to Houston.

That whole area (Groves, Pt Neches, Pt Arthur, Orange...) has a bunch of coon-asses, and there is some great boudin to be had.

Someone mentioned them, but Chris' Specialty Meats does ship. Their stuff is pretty good. I grew up within a couple miles of the shop, and I like most of what they produce. Their stuffed birds are great, especially the seafood ones. I like their turducken as well.

There ya go! I lived in Pt. Neches in 9th and 10th grade (in the late 70's) before moving over here to Houston.

That whole area (Groves, Pt Neches, Pt Arthur, Orange...) has a bunch of coon-asses, and there is some great boudin to be had.

Uh oh, I bet you went to PNG. I graduated from TJ in 1979. That rivalry was a big as UT/A&M.

Back then, you could get hot boudin in any convenience store, just like you can get hot dogs today.

CD

I have had Rabideaux's, it is good too. Old time store feel there.

I have heard that Orange, TX is thick with cajuns:thumb:

All you people have done is give me a taste for Boudin, that I cannot easily resolve!

I got that same craving, an I can resolve it -- for 99 - cents. :becky:

Tonight's dinner, cooked indirect with charcoal and one chunk of branch from my backyard oak tree.

It may not be "the best," but it is pretty farking good. :thumb:

CD

My Kroger had Zummo's for like $1.50/lb last weekend. I still have some Billy's in my freezer but I might have to check and see if they still have that price tomorrow.

I got that same craving, an I can resolve it -- for 99 - cents. :becky:

Tonight's dinner, cooked indirect with charcoal and one chunk of branch from my backyard oak tree.

It may not be "the best," but it is pretty farking good. :thumb:

CD

BINGO!!!:thumb:

Back