Brefas sausage FAILURE!!!!

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
That's right, I screwed the pooch on this one! Started off OK, de-boned an 8lb pork butt, (meant to get pics, FU#1),
using Beermans recipe, good for 5lbs. I'm only making 3lbs., (saving the other 5lbs. for brats), first ingredient 2T Sage, internet says 2T.= 5.7g. per lb.= 17g. My whole large bottle of Sage contains 35g. Since 5lbs. requires 2T. I don't think 3lbs. needs a half bottle Sage! The rest of the recipe list is just as folly then.
The only logical next step is to weigh each ingredient and do the math that way, however it became obvious to me that salt is going to weigh more Sage that weighs less than black pepper. So now I need to weigh each and every ingredient separately to get a correct amount per unit to be correct in my spice mix. Wait, my regular scale does not weigh in tenths, now what? Oh wait, I went out to the garage and got my bullet weight scale, back in business!
Now I can mix my spices, grab the grinder, run the strips through the small plate, throw in a lb. of pork fat, mix it all up and store in the Frigidaire overnight. Got my 2 year old 1/2 package of sheep casings and spend WAY too much time separating and rinsing out, but ready to do sausage battle come sunrise! I remember having a tough time getting the casings on the stuffer horn last time, (horns too big). Faught with it for too furking long and decided to pitch the whole works and just stuff on my hand and place on a cookie sheet!
Yes they are ugly as hell, and I'm embarrassed to even show ya'll, but you can't nail it every time (my second try). Next time I'll have 2mm larger cellulose casings and purchased Breakfast sausage spice mix.
Till then my little darlings!
Ed
P.S. Can't get the pics to show. Will be back!

That's right, I screwed the pooch on this one! Started off OK, de-boned an 8lb pork butt, (meant to get pics, FU#1),
using Beermans recipe, good for 5lbs. I'm only making 3lbs., (saving the other 5lbs. for brats), first ingredient 2T Sage, internet says 2T.= 5.7g. per lb.= 17g. My whole large bottle of Sage contains 35g. Since 5lbs. requires 2T. I don't think 3lbs. needs a half bottle Sage! The rest of the recipe list is just as folly then.
The only logical next step is to weigh each ingredient and do the math that way, however it became obvious to me that salt is going to weigh more Sage that weighs less than black pepper. So now I need to weigh each and every ingredient separately to get a correct amount per unit to be correct in my spice mix. Wait, my regular scale does not weigh in tenths, now what? Oh wait, I went out to the garage and got my bullet weight scale, back in business!
Now I can mix my spices, grab the grinder, run the strips through the small plate, throw in a lb. of pork fat, mix it all up and store in the Frigidaire overnight. Got my 2 year old 1/2 package of sheep casings and spend WAY too much time separating and rinsing out, but ready to do sausage battle come sunrise! I remember having a tough time getting the casings on the stuffer horn last time, (horns too big). Faught with it for too furking long and decided to pitch the whole works and just stuff on my hand and place on a cookie sheet!
Yes they are ugly as hell, and I'm embarrassed to even show ya'll, but you can't nail it every time (my second try). Next time I'll have 2mm larger cellulose casings and purchased Breakfast sausage spice mix.
Ed
First off, try my Cumberland breakfast sausage recipe. Second, the casings need to be preprepped in holding to be soft and supple. Buying by the hank makes a huge difference as they come in solution or wet and not packed in dry salt. Next when getting your casings ready for stuffing and in water add just a touch of baking soda, this will help supple the casings and make them glide on to the horn, they will be more supple and slick. Don’t give up.

That's right, I screwed the pooch on this one!
You learned a valuable lesson
I'm only making 3lbs, first ingredient 2T Sage,
When I saw "2T Sage", I had to look in the first breakfast thread and saw that the recipe was for a 5# batch and it called for "rubbed sage", so obviously a 3# batch takes less. Did you use rubbed sage or ground sage? Rubbed sage is light and fluffy verses ground sage which is very fine.
The only logical next step is to weigh each ingredient and do the math that way, however it became obvious to me that salt is going to weigh more Sage that weighs less than black pepper. So now I need to weigh each and every ingredient separately to get a correct amount per unit to be correct in my spice mix
Ed, I've gotten in the habit of weighing sausage ingredients in grams (especially the salt), but for 40 years I used volumetric measurements with good success. I always do small test batches of new recipes, and rarely stuff them... usually making patties, meatballs, or hand formed "skinnies" about 1" in diameter.
lKneXls.jpg

8JiNoFX.jpg

Here is a link to a great "Tips and Tricks" page. Give it a read... It's a good refresher for just about anyone. The 'Guidelines for Spice Usage' section at the bottom of the page is really handy when you are creating your own recipe, tweaking an existing recipe, or reverse engineering a recipe. Good luck next time.

Ed
Heck, I've got it wrong more than I have got it right... SHHHH. it's our secret ;)

Back