THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Like 80 gallon said Nunu's boudin is very good, my personal favorite id Chops in Broussard, one time on the way to hunting lease i went to Chops, Dons, and my hunting buddy went to Best Stop and we both bought boudin and craklins to have a contest haha Chops beat them all hands down, which i hope they reopen soon cause they had a bad fire and had to redue the building :pray:

Lockon, craklins are fried pork skins but not just the skin a real craklin has meat also and seasoned well :becky:

And i agree with Swine, there isnt any good boudin out of the Acadiana area thats why i love living here :thumb:

Landarc, you right about the healthy part down here they called cholesterol pellet hahahaha

I had heard chops was reopened, they do have excellent boudin also:thumb: The best cracklin i ever ate was at a gas station near Pine Prairie, LA. they would make a beer box at a time and they were always warm, cher' dat was good stuff!!!

My recipe is not quite ready for prime time, but I learned a few things.

When I started out I searched for recipes. I found that there are a wide range of recipes.

Liver is important, but how much? One called for 5 lbs of pork butt and 3 lbs of liver. Another called for 20 lbs of pork butt and 1 lb of liver.

The meat-to-rice ratio is critical, as is the amount of stock/liquid you add before stuffing.

Peeps, oh my...
I regret turning my nose up as a kid to all the gumbo, etouffee, boudin, jambalaya, etc that was put on my plate back then...
The poached boudin is meant to be squeezed out. Hopefully, onto grits.

What's a Louisiana 7 course meal?
A pound of Boudin and a 6-pack of beer.
I use Donald Link's recipe from 'Real Cajun'
and it needs tweaking, but it's good.
Not too much liver, maybe undercook the rice a bit so it
can absorb the delicious fluid a bit more.
Take the grinder attachment off your Kitchenaid or any grinder,
and run the plastic spacer, it won't chop up the rice while stuffing the sausage.
You cannot run the rice through the grinder to stuff - yuk.

The poached boudin is meant to be squeezed out.
Maybe if I had paid attention as a kid when the adults were eating it. It looked like sausage to me, so I was gonna eat it like sausage...unless I physically couldn't :wink:

Thanks!

In my experience, good boudin is virtually nonexistent east of Baton Rouge or West of Lake Charles, with the lone exception of Jerry Lee's in Greenwell Springs.

I've eaten a lot of good boudin in Port Arthur, and one of the brands I can buy here in DFW is Zummo's, a Beaumont company.

Up here, not a lot of people know what boudin is, so it is not a big seller. About two months ago, Kroger had Zummo's on clearance sale for 99-cents a package. I bought every package, and stocked my freezer.

The thing that is nearly impossible to find is Tasso. I have to make my own.

CD

Tasha brought back some boudin balls from The Big Store in Crystal Beach last week and they are pretty good, but nothing even close to Billy's cheese stuffed boudin balls that I got in Opelousas the last couple times I passed through.

FTFY. :mmph:

Gulf Coast Market/The Big Store
2385 Highway 87
Crystal Beach, Texas 77650

Simple Boudin recipe:
5lbs Boston butt
5 bunches green onions
5 cups raw long grain rice
Cut butt into 2 inch pieces... place into pot, cover with water...bring to boil then simmer for 1 hour til tender...do not season yet... add chopped green onions to same pot with same broth, cook for 15 minutes... save broth.... cook rice in rice cooker... use 2 cups broth and enough water for rice to cook according to rice cooker directions...GRIND meat and green onions through medium plate...mix ground meat mixture and cooked rice very well, adding reserved broth and seasoning of choice to a semi loose but very flavorful mixture... you now have boudin!! This can be stuffed into casings(don't over stuff or they will bust when steamed) or use as is to stuff bell peppers, or jalapenos or make sandwiches.... or make a ball about golf ball size, place a small chunk of pepper Jack in the middle, roll in fish fry then deep fry them, now you have BOULETTES, OR BOUDIN BALLS as some call them... if you like liver in your boudin add 1/8th to 1/4 of a pound of FRESH pork liver to the mixture, although it must be fresh not frozen and you must boil and simmer it also for an hour in a desperate pot... do not use this broth in your boudin!!! Hope this helps y'all... it is an old recipe from my friend Wade...seasoning amounts start with 2 1/2 Tbsp salt...1 1/2 Tbsps black pepper...2Tbsps red pepper....you may have to adjust seasoning to your own taste... Enjoy a taste of the bayou

Last edited:
Everyone has their favorite. Mine is Jerry Lees. I grew up on that stuff. I have a freezer full of it now. Ive tried Dons, but rather Jerrys Lees. On a side note Jerry Lees has boudin sandwiches that are killer.

There is a chef out here, that is from the south, or The South, who makes Boudin Balls and they are wonderful, incredible with beer. And he uses enough liver that you can definitely taste that typical offal flavor, sooo good.

ground pork

I used to cook my ground pork,even used regular jimmy dean,added green onion,added this to my chicken broth and cooked my rice in this.I know they don't cook their rice in the broth,buy everybody does it different.I just put black pepper in it but I knew I was missing something.I heard that some put a small amount of chicken liver in it.Cajun town,in Houston, has some of the best dirty rice,made like boudin but not moist enough.I have eaven made it with brown rice,more healthy.All this talking about boudin I am off to the Y.later:clap2:

There is a chef out here, that is from the south, or The South, who makes Boudin Balls and they are wonderful, incredible with beer. And he uses enough liver that you can definitely taste that typical offal flavor, sooo good.
Most any place down here that makes boudin will make boudin balls and there are many different ways to do that to. some stuff with cream cheese and jalapeno peppers. they are excellent with beer are as munchies. Vendors down here bring boudin and boudin balls to their customers for breakfast, yum:clap2:

Most any place down here that makes boudin will make boudin balls and there are many different ways to do that to. some stuff with cream cheese and jalapeno peppers. they are excellent with beer are as munchies. Vendors down here bring boudin and boudin balls to their customers for breakfast, yum:clap2:

I have brought a few pounds to some customers a time or two :wink:

Back