Is Resturant Depot any good? Access?

Err...well, yes....otherwise I would not have posed the question.

Some earlier mentioned it was something like Kansas City Barbecue Society.

If so, thanks.

But I live in New Orleans...and I don't get much news or such on yankee places up north.

It just doesn't come up in conversations here, you know?

C

I am amazed you been here since '04 and have not heard of KCBS. It's literally always mentioned here, and is the most well known competition bbq organization.

Err...well, yes....otherwise I would not have posed the question.

Some earlier mentioned it was something like Kansas City Barbecue Society.

If so, thanks.

But I live in New Orleans...and I don't get much news or such on yankee places up north.

It just doesn't come up in conversations here, you know?

C

The KCBS Louisiana State Championship is in Vidalia, LA every November. You should check it out.

Always used them when I was on the road and needed boneless pork shoulder to make sausage, the quality and price were always very good.

Yankee Land?

Cayenne, Missouri was a border state during the Civil War. Although Missouri did not secede from the Union during the war, a lot of Missourians fought on the Confederate side of the war. It was not unheard of that brothers were fighting on opposite sides of the battlefield. When the war first started, the newly recruited troops would do their marching drills at the county courthouse. The Union troops marched on one side of the courthouse while the Confederates marched on the other.

Except for the state of Virginia, Missouri had more battles and skirmishes than any other state. The battle of Westport, which is referred to as the Gettysburg of the West, took place in the Kansas City area.The battle of Lone Jack took place 30 miles west of the 'burg. The battle of Lexington, also known as the Battle of the Hemp Bales took place 40 miles north of me. Both of these battles were Confederate victories. Ever hear of the Lawrence Massacre? Quantrill's Raiders rode out in the middle of the night from a farm 10 miles outside of Warrensburg. It was at least an 80 mile ride in the dark.

There were a lot of Confederate sympathizers in this area. After Quantrill's raid on Lawrence, General Order No. 11 was issued by Union General Thomas Ewing. The order required the residents of four counties to abandon their rural homes. The reason for this was so the residents could not supply materials and support to the Confederate guerillas. Here is a link to Wiki which explains the history behind it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Order_No._11_(1863)

There is a lot of Civil War history in my area. My great-great grandpa fought on the Union side of the war. I have a lot of friends whose ancestors fought for the South. All of us agree that Missouri ain't a Yankee state.

A bit more strict definition of Yankee...

Cayenne, Missouri was a border state during the Civil War. Although Missouri did not secede from the Union during the war, a lot of Missourians fought on the Confederate side of the war. It was not unheard of that brothers were fighting on opposite sides of the battlefield. When the war first started, the newly recruited troops would do their marching drills at the county courthouse. The Union troops marched on one side of the courthouse while the Confederates marched on the other.

Except for the state of Virginia, Missouri had more battles and skirmishes than any other state. The battle of Westport, which is referred to as the Gettysburg of the West, took place in the Kansas City area.The battle of Lone Jack took place 30 miles west of the 'burg. The battle of Lexington, also known as the Battle of the Hemp Bales took place 40 miles north of me. Both of these battles were Confederate victories. Ever hear of the Lawrence Massacre? Quantrill's Raiders rode out in the middle of the night from a farm 10 miles outside of Warrensburg. It was at least an 80 mile ride in the dark.

There were a lot of Confederate sympathizers in this area. After Quantrill's raid on Lawrence, General Order No. 11 was issued by Union General Thomas Ewing. The order required the residents of four counties to abandon their rural homes. The reason for this was so the residents could not supply materials and support to the Confederate guerillas. Here is a link to Wiki which explains the history behind it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Order_No._11_(1863)

There is a lot of Civil War history in my area. My great-great grandpa fought on the Union side of the war. I have a lot of friends whose ancestors fought for the South. All of us agree that Missouri ain't a Yankee state.

I said that a bit tongue in cheek.

My old roommate at LSU had a bit more strict definition of yankee.

He claimed anyone born north of I-10 was a yankee.....

That would make even me one too (born in AR).

He at times also claimed that the Mason-Dixon Line was the 3rd crawfish pond south of Bunkie.....

Ahh...good times....man, we used to drink a lot!!
Hahaha.

But anyway..no, I don't know much about Kansas or what goes on up there (it's up to me living in LA).

But, I learn something new every day.
;)

He at times also claimed that the Mason-Dixon Line was the 3rd crawfish pond south of Bunkie.....

Ahh...good times....man, we used to drink a lot!!
Hahaha.

But anyway..no, I don't know much about Kansas or what goes on up there (it's up to me living in LA).

But, I learn something new every day.
;)

Kansas City is in Missouri.

Most people are surprised when they find out that the Mason Dixon line is the southern border of Pennsylvania. It sounds like you live below the wall in the “Real South”! Summer is Coming John Snow.

Last edited:
Hey Cayenne, You didn't rial me none or ruffle my feathers. Just trying to educate you on misconceptions that some folks seem to have that Missouri was a state whose population totally supported the Union during the Civil War. I will admit your confusing Kansas City, Kansas with Kansas City, Missouri did kind of irritate me, but that doesn't bother me like it used to. All in good fun..........

Resto Depot is ok depending on location and manager nastytude.

They require a business license to sign up, but then they cry if you don't shop there often enough and they cancel your account. They are a bunch of a-hole jerks in my experience.

;)

LOL, I can relate. I was born and raised in Central AR; then went off to college in Rolla, Missouri. My first roommate there was also a Central AR guy, and he was CONSTANTLY complaining that we lived in the north and about all the Yankees at the college. He would really play up his southern accent and southern grammar while there to help "educate" all those Yankees on how to speak properly, LOL.

While he was not technically correct, I could sort of understand his point...the other guys at the college were a lot less hillbilly than we were, so they might have seemed like Yankees by comparison. :grin:

Connor, I have worked in 102 of the 155 counties of Missouri. There are at least five different accents and dialects in Missouri. Some linguist say there are seven. I am of the opinion that each corner of the state has their own dialect and the central area of the state is somewhat a combination of the bordering counties of which ever corners state they abut. A good example of the variations in speech mannerisms is the dividing lines of: you all, y'awl, you'uns and youse guys. They all mean the same thing, but depending where you are in the state, the locals will use a different term.

Easy...

Connor, I have worked in 102 of the 155 counties of Missouri. There are at least five different accents and dialects in Missouri. Some linguist say there are seven. I am of the opinion that each corner of the state has their own dialect and the central area of the state is somewhat a combination of the bordering counties of which ever corners state they abut. A good example of the variations in speech mannerisms is the dividing lines of: you all, y'awl, you'uns and youse guys. They all mean the same thing, but depending where you are in the state, the locals will use a different term.

Ok this makes it easy since it is kinda on the border.

Anyone saying something besides " ya'll " is a yankee.

;)

They have good meat markdowns at the Memphis store from time to time, as well as cuts I can't find at Sam's. I buy the nice plastic to go containers like you get from the Chinese restaurants at nice prices. Like round quart containers, and the rectangular ones in different sizes. These are great for carrying for lunch and freezer storage.

Ok this makes it easy since it is kinda on the border.

Anyone saying something besides " ya'll " is a yankee.

;)

3Q1W.gif

They have good meat markdowns at the Memphis store from time to time, as well as cuts I can't find at Sam's. I buy the nice plastic to go containers like you get from the Chinese restaurants at nice prices. Like round quart containers, and the rectangular ones in different sizes. These are great for carrying for lunch and freezer storage.

Their container setup is for sure handy. I used them a bit, but it was hard to find what I needed early in Covid, and just went to another source at that point. But they have some great options.

The meat stuff is confusing to me. I did stop in last week as I was feeling bulletproof, and happened to be close. They had a bunch of cuts that I I had never heard of and couldn't figure out how I'd use them. Must be for something popular, or else I couldn't see why they would have sooo much of it.

What'd you find? The "Trimmed Triangles" are good, but they still need additional trimming. It's a five pack of Tri-Tip.

For whatever reason I don't know, but our city does not allow membership restrictions. So anyone can shop at our local RD.

In addition to foods, they also have a good selection of pots, pans, knives, and almost anything else needed by a restaurant. No fancy brands, just good solid products. I am partial to Dexter knives, for example. I can buy them online easily but it is nice to actually see the products as there is a huge variety.

As you might expect, package sizes tend to be large. This is fine for nonperishables like aluminum foil but some things, like spices, will probably fade with age when our usage is low. This is very much a YMMV area, though.

We also have a Costco Business Center nearby. They also aspire to serve the commercial restaurant market and duplicate RD to some extent. I visited when it opened but haven't felt the urge to go back, but if you what to buy a whole hallal goat, that is the place. Definitely worth a look if you have access to one.

For whatever reason I don't know, but our city does not allow membership restrictions. So anyone can shop at our local RD.

In addition to foods, they also have a good selection of pots, pans, knives, and almost anything else needed by a restaurant. No fancy brands, just good solid products. I am partial to Dexter knives, for example. I can buy them online easily but it is nice to actually see the products as there is a huge variety.

As you might expect, package sizes tend to be large. This is fine for nonperishables like aluminum foil but some things, like spices, will probably fade with age when our usage is low. This is very much a YMMV area, though.

We also have a Costco Business Center nearby. They also aspire to serve the commercial restaurant market and duplicate RD to some extent. I visited when it opened but haven't felt the urge to go back, but if you what to buy a whole hallal goat, that is the place. Definitely worth a look if you have access to one.
You must be talking about the Brooklyn center one? I think you are correct they can’t have membership places. What sucks there is someone brings up one brisket to the register and don’t understand that the price per pound is different for the case of them compared to one brisket. It was a dump but they have cleaned it up

Back