Price Alert - Blackstone Pizza Oven

Dang, I bought it. Actually, I bought 2. Amazon went out of stock and Amazon warehouse deals had a "used", like new open box for 192, so I bought it. shortly after that, Amazon came back in stock at 213 and I bought that one. Now I must decide which one to cancel.

That would be great! Already have an IR thermometer. Ordered the BS Pizza Oven cover. Have a wood peel. Gotta decide on a metal or super peel, or get some pizza screens.

Reading through my old notes on doughs and sauces. Figure I need to pick up a few supplies for the weekend in case it arrives in time and I can get it assembled. Might make dough tomorrow if it all looks good.

It may have been just me and my dough recipe but I did not have very good luck using a pizza screen, the rapid rising dough just expanded through it and made it's self part of the pizza. I'm sticking with a little corn meal and a metal peal. Also, make sure you turn the red regulator knob all the way open ( not sure which way cw or ccw) and the tank valve all the way open but start with the front control down fairly low otherwise it's tough to start full blast. I had to make sure all 3 valves where wide open to get the deck up past 800 and the dome over 1100.

Scott

I highly recommend NOT using a screen on the BS oven, or any oven for that matter. Pizza screens fundamentally change the bottom of the pie as the bottom surface never comes fully in contact with the stone, and not for the better, IMO. They do serve a great purpose, though, and that is a holding surface while the pie cools a bit before slicing.

I can't recommend the Super Peel highly enough - I wouldn't be without it and makes launching pies easy and trouble free with no change in the shape of the pie or movement of toppings during launch.

I did an extensive review of the BS Pizza oven, with a bunch of tips that may be helpful to new owners:

http://mooseonfire.com/home/2015/1/4/product-review-the-blackstone-pizza-oven

While I agree with the recommendation for a non-contact IR thermometer, I would strongly suggest skipping that one. If you are going to do Neapolitan pizza, naan or other things that can take advantage of the high heat of a dedicated pizza oven, you need a thermometer that can accurately read well into the 900's and not max out at 716. If you like that brand, you can get this one for a couple bucks more that will take you to over 1000.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-1080-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00DMI632G/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1498068781&sr=1-4&[/ame]

While I agree with the recommendation for a non-contact IR thermometer, I would strongly suggest skipping that one. If you are going to do Neapolitan pizza, naan or other things that can take advantage of the high heat of a dedicated pizza oven, you need a thermometer that can accurately read well into the 900's and not max out at 716. If you like that brand, you can get this one for a couple bucks more that will take you to over 1000.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Las...?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1498068781&sr=1-4&

My bad, in the rush to post something, I picked the wrong one. I did mean to post one that does over 1k. :mrgreen:

Scott

I highly recommend NOT using a screen on the BS oven, or any oven for that matter. Pizza screens fundamentally change the bottom of the pie as the bottom surface never comes fully in contact with the stone, and not for the better, IMO. They do serve a great purpose, though, and that is a holding surface while the pie cools a bit before slicing.

I can't recommend the Super Peel highly enough - I wouldn't be without it and makes launching pies easy and trouble free with no change in the shape of the pie or movement of toppings during launch.

I did an extensive review of the BS Pizza oven, with a bunch of tips that may be helpful to new owners:

Saw that recommendation against the screens in several places, so I will skip that. Just gotta decide on the super peel. Re-read your review this morning.

Do you know if the issue with the collar has been addressed? W/O having a BS Pizza Oven, I can't exactly figure out what the problem was/is.

Saw that recommendation against the screens in several places, so I will skip that. Just gotta decide on the super peel. Re-read your review this morning.

Do you know if the issue with the collar has been addressed? W/O having a BS Pizza Oven, I can't exactly figure out what the problem was/is.

The only issue I had was that the collar wasn't placed properly in the factory, so the platter was scraping the bottom edge of the oven opening. I fixed this immediately with a small Allen wrench by loosening the screw, then moved the collar up an inch, then re-tightened the screw. Haven't had an issue since then. :thumb:

I just spun mine and there are no issues with anything hitting/scraping... runs smooth and quite!

No issues with mine either and I bought it 3 years ago.

And for the love of God don't use a screen. Either get the Super Peel like Moose mentioned or get enough practice to launch with a regular peel. I almost bought a Super peel but since I've gotten used to it I just use an aluminum peel both for launching and retrieving. I don't even turn the motor off. :cool:

No issues with mine either and I bought it 3 years ago.

And for the love of God don't use a screen. Either get the Super Peel like Moose mentioned or get enough practice to launch with a regular peel. I almost bought a Super peel but since I've gotten used to it I just use an aluminum peel both for launching and retrieving. I don't even turn the motor off. :cool:

Show off! :mrgreen:

The question is, how large are your pies? I find the Super Peel allows me to get 15 inch pies on with no trouble at all.

I did do a few cooks using the screen and the crust was nowhere close as good as to putting the pies directly on the stone.

Show off! :mrgreen:

The question is, how large are your pies? I find the Super Peel allows me to get 15 inch pies on with no trouble at all.

I did do a few cooks using the screen and the crust was nowhere close as good as to putting the pies directly on the stone.

On average about 12-14" BUT...

16" with no trouble at all. :becky: My American Metalcraft peel below is 16" and I did away with corn meal also but obviously I flour the bottom and not too much either because excess flour underneath will burn. That's where Super Peel shines and that's why I wanted one to avoid the flour also.

And I'm not showing off. :caked: Just about maxes out the oven.

powutUmh.jpg

Another 16" er

B1fOmMnh.jpg

Last edited:
Heck, you all are a bad influence on me. lol
I got in on the $197 deal. Put er together this afternoon. It spins just fine. :thumb:

Any suggestions for accessories for this thing?

I got in on the $197 deal. Put er together this afternoon. It spins just fine. :thumb:

I'm excited for you, Jeanie! There's a bunch of starter tips on my blog review, most of which have been covered in this thread:

Unless you plan on storing your oven in an enclosed space, I would definitely get the cover for sure.

I'm thinking I may start a tips and tricks thread which will be great for new Blackstone Oven owners and for veterans to chime in as well.

:clap2:

Pizza game just went up a few notches and you haven't even cooked one yet Neighbor.

A pizza peel, I have an aluminum 16" er and a 14" Acacia wood peel but I find myself using the aluminum exclusively.

Super Peel will make your life totally easier like Moose has mentioned over the years.

A pigtail flipper helps in pulling smaller items like personal pies or smaller things being baked in there.

Can't wait for the pron. :thumb:

PS

and an IR gun when you get artsy in doing Neapolitan pies or just to get a reading on surface temps.

I'm excited for you, Jeanie! There's a bunch of starter tips on my blog review, most of which have been covered in this thread:

Unless you plan on storing your oven in an enclosed space, I would definitely get the cover for sure.

I'm thinking I may start a tips and tricks thread which will be great for new Blackstone Oven owners and for veterans to chime in as well.

Thanks Moose!
I got the cover with it. Can't wait to cook something. :grin:

:clap2:

Pizza game just went up a few notches and you haven't even cooked one yet Neighbor.

A pizza peel, I have an aluminum 16" er and a 14" Acacia wood peel but I find myself using the aluminum exclusively.

Super Peel will make your life totally easier like Moose has mentioned over the years.

A pigtail flipper helps in pulling smaller items like personal pies or smaller things being baked in there.

Can't wait for the pron. :thumb:

lol Thanks Neighbor!!
I have a small peel, I think it's 12". Will see about getting a bigger one.
Thanks about the pigtail too..
If I cook a pizza 1/4th as good looking as the one's you and Moose put out, I'll be a happy girl! :mrgreen:

lol Thanks Neighbor!!
I have a small peel, I think it's 12". Will see about getting a bigger one.
Thanks about the pigtail too..
If I cook a pizza 1/4th as good looking as the one's you and Moose put out, I'll be a happy girl! :mrgreen:

You're going to be fine and put us to shame shortly but we like that. :thumb:

12" is great and if you need to upgrade you always can. Oh and a good pizza cutter if you don't have one already. I picked up this one and it's been great for the past 3 years.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Zwilling-Henckels-Twin-Pizza-Cutter/dp/B002G9UHS8[/ame]

On average about 12-14" BUT...

16" with no trouble at all. :becky: My American Metalcraft peel below is 16" and I did away with corn meal also but obviously I flour the bottom and not too much either because excess flour underneath will burn. That's where Super Peel shines and that's why I wanted one to avoid the flour also.

And I'm not showing off. :caked: Just about maxes out the oven.

powutUmh.jpg

Another 16" er

B1fOmMnh.jpg

You are obviously a master at launching pies, for sure, especially since you do it with the platter spinning. Even though I've made hundreds of pizzas on the BS oven, I still always got a bit nervous at launch. I need to watch you do this sometime...for now, I'm super happy with the Super Peel!

I can get one of these Pizza ovens Via amazon.
$799 landed, How goods that?šŸ˜”

Back