Still can't get over how much I like this folding side table DW Fisk made. It makes cooking outside so much more enjoyable having a surface to hold things whether it's utensils, paper towels, plates/platters etc.. etc.. Sure have an appreciation for cookers like the Weber Performer now. Might need to find an magnetic hanging spice rack?

A picture of my take on the 007. I made a framework of angle iron for the drum to sit on and a pipe for the rod to insert into. Everything but the 3/4" rod was iron I had laying around. This way I can use it on all 3 of my drums or over a firepit if I wanted.

A picture of my take on the 007. I made a framework of angle iron for the drum to sit on and a pipe for the rod to insert into. Everything but the 3/4" rod was iron I had laying around. This way I can use it on all 3 of my drums or over a firepit if I wanted.
Fantastic idea! Everything swivel ok and adjust up and down?

Yes it all swivels and adjusts up and down like it should. I wish I had some heavier angle iron but maybe that will be version 2.0.
Hey that's the way R&D works. lol I like my version 1.0 but it can't hold near the weight the 2.0 can.

Mac (my son in engineering school) just finished the 3D part of his AutoCad courses and we should get to it soon.

YASSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

I am excited about this, as it will give my UDS a new life and allow me to learn a new way of cooking.

YASSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

I am excited about this, as it will give my UDS a new life and allow me to learn a new way of cooking.
Oh yea big time new life aawa. I'm breaking both of mine out for a block party cook in 2 weeks and will be using them as smokers, grills and rotisseries.

Here's just some chicken from yesterday...sugary teriyaki marinade with no burning, just can't beat it.

YASSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Dave said they're working on it now.

Fwismoker this is one of the most interesting cookers I've seen. And to top it all it's crafted and thought through with such smart detail!

So my question is how do you use it for different temp cooking? how do you low and slow? How do you sear? is that possible? how hot does it get and at which grate?

Fwismoker this is one of the most interesting cookers I've seen. And to top it all it's crafted and thought through with such smart detail!

So my question is how do you use it for different temp cooking? how do you low and slow? How do you sear? is that possible? how hot does it get and at which grate?

1) How do I use it for different temp cooking? Lots of different ways depending on how you want to cook.

1) Raise grate up or down. I don't do it alot but it's one way

2) Use of different sized wood splits- Controlling the fire is the main way, you get to be pretty good at fire management knowing your wood/Moisture content and size of splits to achieve what you want.

3) Use of a pan below the the cook grate. When I cooked some pork buts I started out direct and when I got the color/sear I wanted then I put a drip pan in with water the rest of the way and that will lower the temp right above the pan.

4) You can also just swivel off part way, by only capturing part of the heat in the upper swivel section you could dial in exactly what you want. Personally I largely just swivel off if the fire takes off hotter than I want and when it calms down swivel back.

How to do low and slow? Primarily through split size and distance by going up or down. Also of course a drip pan for long cooks say for a chuck roast, pork butt or brisket. Then of course you can swivel off part way and when I do this sometimes I'll point the dome lids exhaust opposite so it draws the heat over the whole cook grate.

How do I sear, and how hot can it get? Yes it can sear but depending on how hot the fire is will depend on the speed of the sear. As an example the sear on my pork butt might have been 30 minutes each side...But If I'm searing a steak it's going to be a combination of how people do it now. Some because of their grill will sear and then slow cook while others will slow cook and then sear... The 007 will do both of those things at once. (If that makes sense)

How hot at the grate? I could cook at anywhere from 150* to 700* plus

*** Temps are largely irrelevant*** with this type of cooker

Cfarmer, ninja, ebijack, and roguejim would probably tell you the same thing. You can't really burn your food with this set up and temp swings are pretty much meaningless for quality. Now that's not saying I don't want to keep things within a certain range but that isn't for quality but more just for time management for what is getting cooked. Also the airflow doesn't go across the meat like other cookers...the air largely exits below the meat and only the heat and smoke go up into the cook area so things tend to stay much more moist.

It's a whole other topic to get into the rotisserie area with regards to temps.

I guess that was more than one question... :wink:
Thanks for all the info. I don't get all of what you're saying, but obviously I need to experience this kind of cooker to see it's behavior and understand. It sounds like the perfect cooker!
This is very interesting to me right now since I've been thinking of upgrading my (very simple and cheap) grill and looking at various commercial cookers like webber, kamado, bge, primo etc. Their prices here are much higher than in the USA. Of course shipping, taxes and added margin add up.
This 007 is innovative, versatile and can be crafted perhaps at a lower budget. I'm going to look for some metalworking places that can build me a 007!

I guess that was more than one question... :wink:
Thanks for all the info. I don't get all of what you're saying, but obviously I need to experience this kind of cooker to see it's behavior and understand. It sounds like the perfect cooker!
This is very interesting to me right now since I've been thinking of upgrading my (very simple and cheap) grill and looking at various commercial cookers like webber, kamado, bge, primo etc. Their prices here are much higher than in the USA. Of course shipping, taxes and added margin add up.
This 007 is innovative, versatile and can be crafted perhaps at a lower budget. I'm going to look for some metalworking places that can build me a 007!

Honestly it's just one of those things that you have to experience first hand before you truly understand...It's fun to learn for sure.

I was going to sell this but just way way too much liability for different reasons to sell to the public ...But it's one bad arse cooker that you can't commercially buy something that cooks as good IMO. It's something you can fabricate or have fabricated though and end up with one incredible little cooker. I could definitely see making one with a larger size like 85-110 gallon drum or large propane tank...also with the larger size It could spin even large hogs because I'd really like a hog rotisserie. The 55 gallon size is perfect for everyday cooks though.

Kind of like a UDS mated with a Santa Maria style Grill.

Pretty cool!
Yea kind of.... Having the lid up above is pretty unique. So there's three major things at play.

1) The airflow is coming up and exiting around the perimeter below the food in the swivel area but the heat and cleanest of smoke still fills the cook area keeping things more moist.

2) Unlike a camp fire or santa maria the fire heat gets funneled and concentrated straight up which gives an amazing slow type of sear (big time flavor added) ...But if you want indirect then a pan can be slid underneath or a half pan to do 1/2 direct and 1/2 indirect.

3) Lots of reasons the swivel is nice...everything from it's nice to swing off to temp food, sometimes to help control temp, and just keep food warm.

The up and down I don't use alot but it's sure nice sometimes. Sometimes I have to go up so I can rotisserie at the same time, and other times I've used it for a real lower temp cook.

Last edited:
Back