Well that does it, I'm going to have indoctrinate my UDS into Her Majesty's Secret Service and give her the 007 treatment. To tell you the truth I've been putting off using my UDS because I'm kinda tired of ribs and brisket, this will open her up to new and different cooks. Very Nice!!

Yes do it. SOOOOOO many things you can cook on this and so many ways.

Soon I have to do a cook for a local fire house...thinking it's time to get the rotisserie involved and do a dual zone cook like ninja showed with roti and grate cook going.

Maybe a mix of chicken thighs, quarters and CSR's on the spit...pretty sure I can fit on 7-8 thighs, 7-8 CSR's and at least 5 chicken quarters. No idea what's going on the grate, Maybe stuffed poblanos?

So, which one of you 007 studs is going to do a packer brisket, start to finish, on the swivel grate? That's all I want to see. I'm doing one when I go an vacation mid-June. Frankly, I think Keith is a bit skittish about committing to such a stately hunk of beef. Easier to stick with "lesser cuts". Yeah, that's the proverbial "gauntlet". ��

So, which one of you 007 studs is going to do a packer brisket, start to finish, on the swivel grate? That's all I want to see. I'm doing one when I go an vacation mid-June. Yeah, that's the proverbial "gauntlet". ��
Well if Ninja doesn't do one soon, I might beat him to it on my home built version 007. Doing yard bird parts today, no spin.

pr0N

I decided to do a version of Keith’s 007 on the cheap to my Frankin barrel UDS. Many trials/mod’s have been completed on my Frankin barrel to see what does/does not work. It is UGLY, it is a work in progress. I removed my dome lid hinge to get it out of the way as now I would not require it. I was going to roll a swing grate ring etc Like Keith’s/Dave’s :hail:
out of flat stock. But I had the original drum clamp ring that was used to hold down the drum lid that has been laying around for a long time. The ring fits the drum and lid perfectly. So I designed on the fly. After less than $40 at HD I had everything I needed. Besides a few misc parts I had laying around. I did not install a lower hanging grate/ basket that hangs off the main grate like Keith’s as I already have a grate location 1” under the rim of the UDS That is 4 “ down from the swing grate for using a drip pan or another location for meat. And I do not do roto very often, I prefer to play with my meat. :jaw:
But within a few minutes I can convert my 007 to have/use the bolted on lower swing grate option like Fwismoker’s if required.
HD did not have any thick wall tubing for the main grate support rod and the largest solid rod they had was ½”. So I went with that and I used 3/8” pipe nipples (almost ½” I.D.) drilled out to ½” for the rod to go thru to be welded to the barrel and clamp ring. I have 2 other nipples that I can use as spacers if/when required to raise the swing grate higher instead of using a adjustable lock collar. I used a brass 3/8 pipe union for the contact point between the barrel and swing grate. The brass is soft and won’t bind like steel to steel. Since the main support rod is so small in dia., it deflects down with anything over 5lbs pressure. I bent up a support foot for the front of the swing grate which takes out ANY downward deflection. Also the foot stops the wind from blowing my swing grate with the lid on, it swings that easily. Just enough friction to stop that from happening. I butt welded the clamp ring together. I used 1/2” square tubing to support/bracing of the ring, 3/8” round rod is not as stiff/strong as the square tubing. And I will be able to hang meat/veggies etc from the 1/2” sq tubing when/if wanted. Another option!
The swing grate and support rod lift right out for storage when not in use. No unbolting required. The dome lid still fits the drum for shutdown or using the UDS as originally designed. I use my firebox door to load the wood splits.

Thanks for lookin.

So, which one of you 007 studs is going to do a packer brisket, start to finish, on the swivel grate? That's all I want to see. I'm doing one when I go an vacation mid-June. Frankly, I think Keith is a bit skittish about committing to such a stately hunk of beef. Easier to stick with "lesser cuts". Yeah, that's the proverbial "gauntlet". ��

Well if Ninja doesn't do one soon, I might beat him to it on my home built version 007. Doing yard bird parts today, no spin.

Im willing to do a packer brisket on the 007 but it wont be start to finish as my method for brisket involves time in an oven :shock: if youve tried you would understand.

Maybe next weekend but if not then by the 4th

Tom thats one versatile drum

:laugh: ROFLMAO Rogue! When you spin a 14lb packer over the fire come talk to me! :biggrin1: Besides I've done plenty of chuck roasts, ribs etc..on the swivel and it's nothing but thang and a chicken wang. Chuckies are my favorite.

Im willing to do a packer brisket on the 007 but it wont be start to finish as my method for brisket involves time in an oven :shock: if youve tried you would understand. Maybe next weekend but if not then by the 4th
Yep, Ninja knows some tricks for briskets :eusa_clap

Another dual zone cook...shoulder csr's off the rotisserie and skins up top.

Now let's see some cooks from Tom's!

:laugh: ROFLMAO Rogue! When you spin a 14lb packer over the fire come talk to me! :biggrin1: Besides I've done plenty of chuck roasts, ribs etc..on the swivel and it's nothing but thang and a chicken wang. Chuckies are my favorite.

Hey, spin this. You're getting lazy.

more pr0n

Well the maiden voyage, drum modifications were a success. The wife who never liked( hated) chicken thighs until she had mine the way I typically cook bird. She said these were the best she has ever had. They are now in second place to my wings.
The wife also wants to thank Ninja for the suggestion of using mayo on the bird skin. It really doesn't change the flavor, but does make it even more crispy.
During the cook, I played with the intakes and exhausts. Give that drum some more air and you will be at 450*+ in no time! I was able to cook from 250 to 350 without much of a problem at all.
I was surprised the thighs reached 220* in 45 mins. And they are still extremely juicy and capitol T tender, you can cut them with the side of a fork.
Anyways, here's some photos. I might put a photo into the TD grill that is going on.
Only 1/2 of the thighs had the mayo, the rest just my dry rub.
As soon as everything is cooled enough to pull the bird, the wife is making chicken salad, and I'm going to boil the bones and make chicken stock which will end up as chicken soup.
Thanks for lookin.

Almost time to flip

more wood for the drummies

Thanks Keith for the awesome idea of the swing grate to cook with fire!
The 4" gap from the swing grate to drum, really does make a difference compared to just using my top grate and burning wood. Really no chance of burning the meat. With the grease dripping from the bird, I had flames to the top of the drum lip, and still no burning.

Well the maiden voyage, drum modifications were a success. The wife who never liked( hated) chicken thighs until she had mine the way I typically cook bird. She said these were the best she has ever had. They are now in second place to my wings.
The wife also wants to thank Ninja for the suggestion of using mayo on the bird skin. It really doesn't change the flavor, but does make it even more crispy.
During the cook, I played with the intakes and exhausts. Give that drum some more air and you will be at 450*+ in no time! I was able to cook from 250 to 350 without much of a problem at all.
I was surprised the thighs reached 220* in 45 mins. And they are still extremely juicy and capitol T tender, you can cut them with the side of a fork.
Anyways, here's some photos. I might put a photo into the TD grill that is going on.
Only 1/2 of the thighs had the mayo, the rest just my dry rub.
As soon as everything is cooled enough to pull the bird, the wife is making chicken salad, and I'm going to boil the bones and make chicken stock which will end up as chicken soup.
Thanks for lookin.

Almost time to flip

Thanks Keith for the awesome idea of the swing grate to cook with fire!
The 4" gap from the swing grate to drum, really does make a difference compared to just using my top grate and burning wood. Really no chance of burning the meat. With the grease dripping from the bird, I had flames to the top of the drum lip, and still no burning.

The flavor this way is unmatched IMO...and so nice to still use a lid.

Tom that pic is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ok. where can I get the brackets and top grate?

I want to join the club. I would even get rid of my performers to just cook on this thing.

Back