Sorry, I meant EBI. Hes close ;)
Oh no problem. If you make one or get one made I'd recommend the D.O.M tube so you won't need a brace of any kind... When I cooked the two large butts as an example it was nice a couple of times to just swivel off part way to the side and there wasn't any kind of deflection. It's definitely nice to swing off and hold lots of weight.

Also the side table that is now mounted on the back side is a must have. Not only is a table great but just not having to worry about tip over when swinging 180* is way way nice!!!

When I've had a full cook grate and putting on or taking off meat off the spit I want to swing the grate completely out of the way....Now there's no worries of tipping :-D DW did a fantastic job on it!

Last edited:
Also even if you have a feeder door I'd highly recommend a hanger basket.

Great to hold drip pans ( also good for when swinging off) and good to hold beans, mac n cheese etc...

OK enough of this technical mumbo jumbo lets see some cook pron

"The best chicken you've ever had"

This is no boast. This is a statement made by folks who have had it. Yes sir its a fact.

Id you could easily cook 20 chicken parts at once

45 min on the 007.

The entire right side of the plate came from my garden. Those orange cherry maters are awesome

These pics dont do justice. You've never had crispy skin like this

"The best chicken you've ever had"

This is no boast. This is a statement made by folks who have had it. Yes sir its a fact.

Id you could easily cook 20 chicken parts at once

45 min on the 007.

The entire right side of the plate came from my garden. Those orange cherry maters are awesome

These pics dont do justice. You've never had crispy skin like this
Mighty fine chicken and it LOOKS crisp!

Now would it be the best "I've" ever had? :noidea: ....but it makes me :hungry:

I had an idea to make a ring that would with the same principal as Keith's swing grate 007 idea, but not requiring to swing the grate out of the way to add wood ( I have an access door to add wood), no requirement for doing roto as I don't do that very often. So I did not need height adjustment. I have bolts 1" down from the top of the barrel for holding a searing grate that I can put a drip pan on if/when required.
I rolled up a 22 3/4" ring that fits my knock off Weber lid. Bent up 4- 4" tall C brackets. Tacked on washers on those C brackets as stops so the ring can not slip off the drum, keeps it locked in. Added 1/2" bolts as location pins to lock in the cooking grate.
This proto type simple but ugly unit drops/sits onto the drum, add grate, lid and start cooking. When not needing the swing grate, this for me is faster, lighter, simpler. This was an experiment. I wasn't sure I'd like it. But I do.

I had an idea to make a ring that would with the same principal as Keith's swing grate 007 idea, but not requiring to swing the grate out of the way to add wood ( I have an access door to add wood), no requirement for doing roto as I don't do that very often. So I did not need height adjustment. I have bolts 1" down from the top of the barrel for holding a searing grate that I can put a drip pan on if/when required.
I rolled up a 22 3/4" ring that fits my knock off Weber lid. Bent up 4- 4" tall C brackets. Tacked on washers on those C brackets as stops so the ring can not slip off the drum, keeps it locked in. Added 1/2" bolts as location pins to lock in the cooking grate.
This proto type simple but ugly unit drops/sits onto the drum, add grate, lid and start cooking. When not needing the swing grate, this for me is faster, lighter, simpler. This was an experiment. I wasn't sure I'd like it. But I do.

Thanks for the pics. I wasnt able to make it out to you this weekend but like the variation you did. I think this is going to turn into my "escape to the garage in the winter" project

Thanks for the pics. I wasnt able to make it out to you this weekend but like the variation you did. I think this is going to turn into my "escape to the garage in the winter" project
Initially my concept grew from having a way to feed the fire but now after having the swing grate I wouldn't have it any other way. Tom had a "unique" need to not have a swing but I'd highly highly suggest to definitely have one....definitely wouldn't have it any other way.

1) I've had lots of cooks where during the cook I had to switch from the normal 4" high to raising up significantly.

My last block party I had two butts on the grate then later in the day I had to add the pork loins but continue to cook the butts....piece of cake just to raise it up...and swing butts off to pull the loins.

2) Just when I'm done cooking it's simple to swing out, place my flat lid and shut down

3) Sometimes it's just freaking hot and to temp with the therm or stir something in a pan it's nice to swing out...do what you have to do and swing back.

4) A few times I use the swivel for temp control by just swinging out enough to dial in the temp I'm looking for...you can dial in EXACTLY what you want...with the exhaust on lid pointing outward (offset type cook mode)

There's times after adding a split that the temp might spike higher than you want...just swing off part way, let the fire die some then swing back while still cooking the entire time.

Also I'd definitely use the D.O.M tubing because it's strong as hell and doesn't deflect.

Just my 2 cents... like I said Tom has a unique need which I understand but swinging is very advantageous....door or no door.

I may add a door later but it's not going to be just to add splits because that is easy the way it is BUT so I can add super intense high heat grilling to the list of capabilities and put a cook grate just below the top just for those cooks.

I like the idea of being able to swing it out. I am just not sure of my ability to make this thing which is why I am waiting for CAD stuff. I may try to make it myself but it will be a slow go :) I do have a donor kettle I was thinking about using. Cutting the ring of the kettle and re using it to hold the grate.

I like the idea of being able to swing it out. I am just not sure of my ability to make this thing which is why I am waiting for CAD stuff. I may try to make it myself but it will be a slow go :) I do have a donor kettle I was thinking about using. Cutting the ring of the kettle and re using it to hold the grate.
If you look at iamuszzyhunter's stand on page 9. and how he built his.
It would be quite easy to buy/use CI pipe with elbows, union, cross. The union ( which becomes the lock collar) and 4 way pipe cross,drilled out so the CI pipe slides thru vertically only. Drill tap a hole in the union for locking collar to the required height. Then a short pipe coming from the cross, a reducer bushing, more smaller pipe/elbows to make a square that the grate could sit on. This could all be done without welding if one wanted to. Keep it so you can take it apart. A another short second of pipe for the vertical, take that camping for cooking over fire.
Just a thought.
The thickwall tubing really isn't required. CI pipe, drilled out pipe union is a very viable option that will not flex either.

Yea what Tom said...even though I really like the way Dave built mine there's more than one way to skin a cat....I'd just want you to take advantage of all the capabilities you can. The DOM tube Dave used is awesome but like Tom said other tube would probably work. I just know it was a night and day difference for me from my version 1 having 1/2 cold rolled solid pipe vs 3/4 DOM.

OBTW I accidentally deleted some photos of early cooks off photobucket....oops!

Now going forward they are all in separate albums to prevent that....lesson learned!

If you look at iamuszzyhunter's stand on page 9. and how he built his.
It would be quite easy to buy/use CI pipe with elbows, union, cross. The union ( which becomes the lock collar) and 4 way pipe cross,drilled out so the CI pipe slides thru vertically only. Drill tap a hole in the union for locking collar to the required height. Then a short pipe coming from the cross, a reducer bushing, more smaller pipe/elbows to make a square that the grate could sit on. This could all be done without welding if one wanted to. Keep it so you can take it apart. A another short second of pipe for the vertical, take that camping for cooking over fire.
Just a thought.
The thickwall tubing really isn't required. CI pipe, drilled out pipe union is a very viable option that will not flex either.

Man alive. I have been trying to find a way to get a collar to fit snug with pipe coming through and never thought to drill out a fitting. Hmmmm...I have something thinking to do. I work and a plumbing supply house so that I why I was trying to figure this out with those types of fittings.....

This is 3/8 pipe center drilled/reamed to 1/2"

I've used a 1/4 to 3/4" unibit to ream out 1" pipe unions ( needed the ID to be 3/4")? Been awhile, but it does work. You only need to take the treads out typically, leaving plenty of wall thickness.

So you used a nipple as the collar in that one. what size is the nipple and interior pipe? did your drill out the 1" nipple?

Back