gone but not forgot***the lost cooker thread

I have old pits I miss, but they didn't die - I passed them along to someone else. If I had a pit I loved that was rusting out on the bottom I'd cut out the scabs and rivet on new metal.

I miss my three Banderas, my old New Braunfels Black Diamond, and the Weber 22 I bought at Ernst Hardware in 1987. I have made memorable cooks on the others but these stand out.

seattlepitboss

cookingRoasts.jpg

myOldBandera.jpg

myOldNBBD.jpg

These are my first two smokers, may they Rust in Peace.
kmWmYoH.jpg

The black one was Soap, it came by it's name because the drum had previously contained car wash soap. It was the first smoker I ever built. I built that one when the original UDS thread was but a threadling back in November of 2009 after we bought our house. It was used to make my first ever smoked turkey for Thanksgiving in the new house.

The second was named Tomato Paste, due to the fact that this is what it had been used for in a previous life. Being food safe meant that it had the dreaded Red Coating of Hatred that had to be exorcised before any cooking could commence. This smoker was built for use in celebration of the nuptials of two close friends of ours as I needed the extra capacity.

I've had some health issues over the last couple of years that have prevented me from smoking. I recently hoped to smoke a brisket and found that the dreaded rust had taken the bottom from both of my beloved smokers.

As of today, a new smoker has begun to take shape. I have acquired the requisite drum and will salvage parts from the elder two smokers to build it out. The smoke will return to this house.

My original PBC. The initial marketed, Kingsford backed 229 special free delivery.

Man that one was cussed and discussed back in the beginning. Pit Barrel Cooker.
It taught me how you can make fantastic smoked grilled food without a thermometer, a cable, a blower, Bluetooth ,Wifi etc etc
Start the fire (which had many threads), hang the meat (which had many threads), close the lid (which had many threads in using a paper clip). Heat and enjoy the meat (which had many ,"that meat is no better than my meat" threads)

The drum experience of The PBC
Barbeque's Woodstock. Pictures work, but you had to be there

Miss the Ernst Hardware that was in Redmond, that’s where I bought Kingsford for my 22” Weber kettle as well for the hibachi.

Platinum. $40 is a helluva deal. They were $200-220 brand new IIRC...before Weber pricing went stupid expensive.

Mentioned downsizing in another thread. Decided the Ninja Woodfire and Jumbo Joe are all I need anymore. Haven't used either the Performer or 18 WSM in at least 4 years. Both garaged and gathering dust. Both pretty much like brand new if cleaned up. Haven't checked craigslist yet and haven't decided what to price them at. The Performer and rotisserie kit together retail for farking $800 now! The WSM for $420-450...use to be able to get a 22 for less than that. Will entertain any reasonable offers.

Never met but miss ebijack. One of my favorite posters after joining the forum. Miss his pics and stories of his time at gm, as well as his high BBQ IQ. He, and a number of others gone, should be in a BBQ-B Hall of Fame.

I lost touch with Tom. kinda worried something happened....or I did something. he was a big part of our bbq for veterans group. him and diesel dave were pretty close.

back too lost cookers...if you look at my original post in this thread you can see my ok Joe longhorn. I bought it off of another one if the guys from our group, buttburner (Brian). I sold it planning to buy a Shirley patio model. unfortunately the market went nuts before I could buy one and now a nice cooker like that is out of my budget....with the prices you mentioned I am probably priced out of any new cooker

Boy George said:
Do you really want to hurt me?
Do you really want to make me cry?
Do you really want to hurt me?
Do you really want to make me cry?

My first "real" smoker was a rusty New Braunfel's El Dorado I found curbside on trash day. I hand sanded it and restored it. I tried a pork butt on my first cook. I carefully tended the fire to hold 225° for 12 hours. I removed the butt and let it rest. 30 min later I went to pull it. No luck, so I cut it open. It was raw through to the center! After much thought, I removed the thermometer and stuck it in boiling water. It read >350°!!! I had been cooking at what I would guess was 100°-125°. Damn it. I got a new thermometer and that pit became my love and joy. In 2005, I lost it after it spent weeks in Katrina's salty floodwaters. I would buy a new one in a minute if I could.

picture.php

picture.php

#2 was my Klose. After I lost the El Dorado, I saved up and bought a Klose 20' x 48". It was awesome. I lost it when we moved. The movers tried to load it with a forklift and dropped it. I need to write a country song about all the pits I've loved before.

picture.php

When we were forced to downsize because of health reasons. We sold the 2 med Spicewine smokers we had at the house. I do miss them.:sad:

Back