Where do you buy your brisket?

Prime costco packers, have been buying 15 to 18 lbs each for around $47 here in the SF bay area. Used to only have thin flats. I hope they keep them coming.

Interesting. I've been finding packers at smart n final, but I can only find choice. I'd had only ever seen the trimmed flats before at like 4.99/lb. :shocked:

I get non competition full packers from Sam's Club. The stuff I use for comps comes from either SRF or Master Purveyors.

Always Sams, and then the local butcher where I get the rest of the cow.

But I live in a beef/ag state, so I'm lucky that Sams has great quality and good prices. :-D

Anyone in or near Nebraska see the "point" only for sale? I lost my source. Used to be able to buy a case of points for $2.00 a pound. Resealed them and cooked 2 extra points for burnt ends when cooking brisket.

I most always buy prime. Either Costco or HEB. Most of the time....HEB because it is a mile away from the house.

Can't get packers at Costco around here. I've never seen select-grade meat anywhere in my life. I get briskets mostly from Creekstone Farms (Prime) and Snake River Farms (Wagyu). I have never had good luck with choice-grade brisket from anywhere.

You have a restaurant depot or Wally World near you? Both tend to have decent packers....for New Jersey anyway....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Costco is the King of PRIME BRISKET PACKERS... smoked many from Costco without any problems.

Think i'll die if they ever raise their price

I get choices and primes from Sam's. Not sure why but sometimes they have all choice, other times all prime. My Christmas brisket was a full prime packer 15 lbs and was only $2.68/lb. I thought it was a steal

Prime from Costco......we are spoiled in Texas, there was a case of 20+ to pick from last week when I ran to grab one.

Yeah, I see that a lot. Posts from Texas boys quoting awesome prices for prime. I envy you guys.

I'm in the Chicago suburbs and I would think the midwest would be at least friendly to beef...

But Walmart here has nothing but super trimmed flats with no marbling. Supermarkets...nothing. If you do find a trimmed flat, it's like $8/LB. GTFO.

The best i've found is a local butcher selling CAB choice packers for $4.95/LB...on sale.

To the OP, I would bet being in VT if I have that right, it's even rougher.

Look online.

I haven't been able to get packers from Costco here in a while. Only find select at Walmart. Thinking about the trip to restaurant depot. Does KCBS membership still get you a day pass to restaurant depot?

Costco's in Nor Cal started selling prime packers in September of last year good and cheap, $2.69 to 2.99 lb. can't go wrong.

Walmarts.........

Sorry, but I don't trust any meat that comes from Way-Mart. I have no scientific proof to back up my feelings. Just the overall knowledge that Was-Mart will buy from the cheapest distributor. It just feels like you are basically buying the McDonalds of briskets when you buy form them. I know price is a point of most peoples cooking habits. But I just can't bring myself to buy meat from them. I will gladly shell out the extra five or six dollars to buy a brisket from Costco, Kroger, Tom Thumb or Alberstons. Just my personal opinion.

Ya they Suck...... .....

That's why I keep buying them and cooking them for Friends, Family n CoWorkers and at N Texas Bash(s).....

In fact this Crowd just about tarred n feathered me when they tried my WallyMart Brisket.....

DISGUSTING:

Right here you can see the Green Juice - AntiFreeze probally - that Walmart has injected into their Briskets to up the weight......... I should sue.........

Last edited:
Back