Where do you buy your brisket?

I buy Prime briskets at Costco but I do have to trim more than when I used to buy at my local butcher Valley Farms Market.

+1 for Costco prime. $2.99 here in the NW. Never seen just points, just packers and flats

Don't think I've ever seen a prime packer other than online meat distributors or watching a comp on TV.

I didn't say you couldn't turn out good brisket from Wal-Mart. It's just my personal preference to not buy meat from them. Plus I don't think people need a prime grade brisket to turn out good brisket. I myself cook choice and turn out good BBQ as well. No need to take my statement as a personal attack on you or your BBQ. It's just my personal preference not to buy meat from a store that receives all of their meat pre packaged.

Sorry, but I don't trust any meat that comes from Way-Mart. I have no scientific proof to back up my feelings. Just the overall knowledge that Was-Mart will buy from the cheapest distributor. It just feels like you are basically buying the McDonalds of briskets when you buy form them. I know price is a point of most peoples cooking habits. But I just can't bring myself to buy meat from them. I will gladly shell out the extra five or six dollars to buy a brisket from Costco, Kroger, Tom Thumb or Alberstons. Just my personal opinion.

The same select/choice meat you buy from Walmart come from the same packing companies that sell to the big box stores you listed.

I would understand if you said you prefer to get all grass fed, organic packers from a local butcher. But the same commodity beef that Kroger, Tom Thumb, Albertsons sells is the same commodity beef that Walmart sells.

I didn't say you couldn't turn out good brisket from Wal-Mart. It's just my personal preference to not buy meat from them. Plus I don't think people need a prime grade brisket to turn out good brisket. I myself cook choice and turn out good BBQ as well. No need to take my statement as a personal attack on you or your BBQ. It's just my personal preference not to buy meat from a store that receives all of their meat pre packaged.

Walmart, Kroger, Albertson and almost all the non specialized big box stores buy from the cheapest distributors. That is how they make money. Walmart just happens to have the largest buying power out of all retailers that it can get better deals on items than the other bigger box stores.

I don't fault you for your preference. Your decision is based on a flawed perception. I personally much rather shop at Kroger than Walmart. I feel I get better service and a more pleasant shopping experience. I am ok knowing that I am paying a few % more per item shopping at Kroger than I am shopping at Walmart. However the Kroger by me doesn't carry full packers and so I will buy them from Walmart.

Ok i wasn't just speaking of buying briskets from them. What beef commodity do they buy from and who cuts all their meat and packages it for Wal-Mart? Is that the same company that the above mentioned stores buy from. All I am saying is when they went pre packaged I stoped buying meat from them. Again it's not an attack on anybody. It's just my personal preference. Geez lighten up folks.

I guess we are spoiled here in Texas. You can get full packer briskets at any grocery store. Heck you can almost find them in convienent stores. :grin:

The best I get is from restaurant depot.... in Birmingham al I have to drive 45 minutes but they have a good selection and never seen prime there... but I have had much better luck buying choice over prime due to the choice flats being thicker.... this is solely my experience.. one of the best briskets I ever bought was a select... it had a very thick flat and was as good as I have ever had...... I feel like a good cook can find a way to perserve.... cookers matter... cuts of meat matter... but the cook rules his meat...:mrgreen:

Mister Brisket has a great product, talk to Hank. They carry both Waygu and Prime, packers and flats. Restaurant Depot also has decent packers. There is also nothing wrong with cooking just a flat from Costco, I've cooked them often.

I guess we are spoiled here in Texas. You can get full packer briskets at any grocery store. Heck you can almost find them in convienent stores. :grin:

I thought Smitty was from Texas too?

Our local walmart have ungraded briskets, you know ranchers have to pay to have them graded, there is some value to them.

Myself, I like to look at Sam's Club, occasionally they will have "Black Canyon" briskets in the cooler. Diffidently 100% Angus.

http://www.blackcanyon-angusbeef.com/our-beef/

Last edited:
Back