Where do you buy your brisket?

dparke1966

Found some matches.
Hi Guys... I got a new masterbuilt smoker for Christmas. So far great results!
I am wanting to smoke my first brisket. Any advice on where to buy a good brisket without breaking the bank? Have heard Costco has good brisket. Any one have any experience with Costco brisket?

Thanks for any advice.

Been to my local Costco twice recently and they have only had points. Has anybody else run into this?

edit: should read flat. sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
bad briskets can be bought anywhere. You have to look them over to get a good one. A higher grade helps but doesn't guarantee it will be better. I get mine from HEB mostly but Walmart sometimes.

Costco, a local butcher, Snake River farms, and/or Creekstone farms.

My Costco only ever has over trimmed flats, never points only like greenmountain above.

I buy all my briskets from Gordon Food Service

Walmart has selects. I actually found choice yesterday at mine
Rest Depot has CAB choice
Costco primes are great if they have them available in your area (not in mine :sad:)
Local butchers usually have them but they are typically $$$

I buy my packers from Costco. Prime grade close in price to anywhere else.

I can also get briskets from GFS, Restaurant Depot, or one of the local walmarts (2 walmarts in 2 miles and one has them, the other doesnt )

The wife hates to go by the meat department when I'm with her. I'll stop, touch,pickup,look, and feel every brisket in the cooler. I might take one home about every 5 trips, it is what it is.....

Prime costco packers, have been buying 15 to 18 lbs each for around $47 here in the SF bay area. Used to only have thin flats. I hope they keep them coming.

Can't get packers at Costco around here. I've never seen select-grade meat anywhere in my life. I get briskets mostly from Creekstone Farms (Prime) and Snake River Farms (Wagyu). I have never had good luck with choice-grade brisket from anywhere.

I can get Choice grade from Wally World pretty regularly now in NC for reasonable prices on the whole packers. I have memberships at a couple of big box stores, and have never seen Prime grade in any of them, and their prices on the Choice is significantly higher than I can find at Wally World.

Usually get mine from HEB, when they have Choice.
Kroger sometimes has a good selection.
My last one (a few weeks ago) was a Choice at $3.47/# from Randall's (part of Safeway group) and it was worth every penny.

Costco briskets are usually all I cook....it's a convenience thing as I work there and get to go in the back and select my brisket from the case it comes in....I've also done a few from HEB that turned out pretty good also.....I typically lol more at who the packing company is as I'm picky with that aspect of it. Basically any but Excel wil do...everytime I cook one by them it comes out of the cryovac packaging all hacked up and having been "burned" from the sealing on one side :roll:

I can get Choice grade from Wally World pretty regularly now in NC for reasonable prices on the whole packers. I have memberships at a couple of big box stores, and have never seen Prime grade in any of them, and their prices on the Choice is significantly higher than I can find at Wally World.

Your Walmart has packers? I rarely see them in Hickory...maybe once every few weeks. Guess I need to head east one day...is it exit 150 or 151?

Back