Electric smoker dying

jfabernathy

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
It's been awhile since I've posted a question. Lot's of reasons, but today I'm trying to figure out where to go from here.

I pulled out my Masterbuilt electric smoker to do some Baby back ribs for the family and the smoker tripped the breaker in the garage the minute it was plugged in. Not even turned on yet. It works in a non GFCI receptacle but my house is too new to have any of those in the garage or outside on the patio. This has happened before and I bought a new heating element but that didn't last long.

So I have a need to get a new smoker. I started smoking with a Bubba Keg which was great but took a lot of work and a computer controlled blower to keep the temperature right. I'm getting too old to baby sit one of those all night.

I've heard good things about pellet grills that can do smoking well.

I also wonder if the Masterbuilt propane smoker would be about the same level of work as the electric, but might avoid the heating element problems.

All this debate in my head is tough because I live 3 miles from a BBQ place that has Grand Champion trophies all over their store from Kansas, Memphis, etc. Once I tasted their brisket, I quit attempting to even try to smoke my own.

Maybe I should do the math on (smokers cost + meat cost + smoke chip cost) / cost to buy already cooked = how much BBQ I'll need in the next 10 years.

However, I'd miss the sitting by the smoker and drinking bourbon for hours while my stuff cooked. :-D

I pulled out my Masterbuilt electric smoker to do some Baby back ribs for the family and the smoker tripped the breaker in the garage the minute it was plugged in. Not even turned on yet. It works in a non GFCI receptacle but my house is too new to have any of those in the garage or outside on the patio.
Had a Cookshack electric years ago that did that after sitting a long time. Moisture gets in the heating element causing it to trip. Just plug it into an extension cord from one of the non GFCI outlets and let it run for a little while to get rid of the moisture. Then plug back into the GFCI, should probably be fixed.

However, I'd miss the sitting by the smoker and drinking bourbon for hours while my stuff cooked. :-D

You can't put a price on that.

Try Andy's solution. Culd be painless. Otherwise, I would go for a pellet smoker / grill in your situation. Kinda want one myself.

I had a Masterbuilt.

It would do the same thing after periods of non use.

I would plug it into a non gfi outlet and bake it out. Would then work fine on a gfi outlet.

What's the biggest thing you'd want to cook, and do you have a grill?
I used to do a Turkey on my Bubba Keg and I used to do briskets, but my Bubba Keg was not big enough for the brisket. Neither is my Masterbuilt electric.

I have a Weber Spirit that is big enough to BBQ chicken, cookout brats, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.

So smoking has been limited to the electric for a few years, It was convenient. It could do 8 pork shoulders at once. For ribs, I'd have to cut the rack in half and then I could do 4 racks.

You mean, You heard good things about Pellet smokers that can grill "ok".
I have a friend with a Traeger and he says it will keep 225F for hours and he can make it hot enough to sear steaks. That would allow me to only have one grill/smoker if it can do everything.

My son told me about a friend of his that has a Traeger and it would sometimes have a fire in the section with the pellet screw and then it would burn too hot for smoking. It was hard to put out and continue. That's the only bad thing I've heard.

As to searing steaks, I have inconsistent results with steaks to the point that I now sous vide my steaks to 125F and then sear them for exactly 90 seconds per side on a hot grill. That works great for me. I've seen the fancy steak houses do that.

I have a friend with a Traeger and he says it will keep 225F for hours and he can make it hot enough to sear steaks. That would allow me to only have one grill/smoker if it can do everything.

My son told me about a friend of his that has a Traeger and it would sometimes have a fire in the section with the pellet screw and then it would burn too hot for smoking. It was hard to put out and continue. That's the only bad thing I've heard.

As to searing steaks, I have inconsistent results with steaks to the point that I now sous vide my steaks to 125F and then sear them for exactly 90 seconds per side on a hot grill. That works great for me. I've seen the fancy steak houses do that.

My point was, I don't know why they are called pellet grills when they make better smokers then they do grills.

Long story short. Been cooking on propane forever, also live fire and a bit of charcoal experience. Got a PB pellet unit for dad's day last year. LOVE IT!! Does everything the other ones do in one unit. Honestly, best burgers I've made to date. Love how you can control the amount of smoke, as well as live fire easily. If you go that route, you will NOT be disappointed. Best of luck!

It's been awhile since I've posted a question. Lot's of reasons, but today I'm trying to figure out where to go from here.

I pulled out my Masterbuilt electric smoker to do some Baby back ribs for the family and the smoker tripped the breaker in the garage the minute it was plugged in. Not even turned on yet. It works in a non GFCI receptacle but my house is too new to have any of those in the garage or outside on the patio. This has happened before and I bought a new heating element but that didn't last long.

So I have a need to get a new smoker. I started smoking with a Bubba Keg which was great but took a lot of work and a computer controlled blower to keep the temperature right. I'm getting too old to baby sit one of those all night.

I've heard good things about pellet grills that can do smoking well.

I also wonder if the Masterbuilt propane smoker would be about the same level of work as the electric, but might avoid the heating element problems.

All this debate in my head is tough because I live 3 miles from a BBQ place that has Grand Champion trophies all over their store from Kansas, Memphis, etc. Once I tasted their brisket, I quit attempting to even try to smoke my own.

Maybe I should do the math on (smokers cost + meat cost + smoke chip cost) / cost to buy already cooked = how much BBQ I'll need in the next 10 years.

Rewire it then use a PID controller to run it. You'll be amazed at the temp control.

You'll probably get as many recommendations as there are users on this forum.

Everyone cooks differently and for different purposes, so what works great for one, may not work for another. Start with figuring out what you need and go from there.

IE: Vertical or Horizontal / cooking surface space needed / ect.

I have a Humphrey's that I absolutely love, but my kids live in other states and are always requesting Q from home. When in Los Angeles, I bought my daughter a Pit Boss PBV4S2 for only $445.00, I was surprised with the end results. I later bought one for my daughter in Ft Worth, and eventually bought one as a backup smoker for myself.

The girls can operate it and control it through their phone, easy-peasy. I find myself using the pellet smoker more in inclement weather and at last minute requests for smoked meats. It'll never replace the Humpreys, but it does make a good end food product.

I use the vertical smokers because I make a lot of sausage that has to be smoked, and the vertical allows me to hang large rounds of sausage, or stack multiple shelves of Pork Butts, Chicken, or Brisket.

Again find out what you need, not just what others have. Somewhere inbetween is your product.

I would highly advise not to circumvent the GFCI protection. Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters are people protection and it could save your life! It would be much safer to unplug the unit, open the control compartment, and set up a small heater to blow in it and dry it out. If a circuit had lost its ground, (or was an ungrounded circuit to begin with, in the case of many older homes, unlike yours) the smoker could become energized and shock or electrocute a person. It may be rare for something like that to happen, but it does happen. I was a master electrician and state-certified electrical safety inspector for most of my 46-year career. During that time, I witnessed and evaluated the cause of a young lady who died during a freak event that GFI protection would have prevented. I don't mean to sound dramatic but you could not replicate those circumstances in a million tries, but she was dead. We used to joke that every code in the National Electric Code was adopted because of at least one corpse. Not a very funny joke when it becomes a reality. Don't get dead!!! If drying it out safely does not work, have it repaired by a certified electrician, or do what you are leaning toward and replace it. Good luck if you do get a new one.

By the way, when the weather is awful, I do love my MAK pellet grill. It is amazing how much smoke flavor it puts on meat.

That is just a maintenance issue. Keep the fat out of it and keep it clean and it's fine.

Pellet smokers are nice and they are very easy to use but, some of the negatives I've found are they produce a light smoke flavor compared to electric or offset smokers, you have to store pellets, and, if the pellets in the hopper get wet, you have a solid mess to clean up.

If your Masterbuilt electric served you well, maybe just buy another one? They are very cost effective. Or, there are higher end electric smokers (Cookshack...) but, for the price of those you can probably buy several Masterbuilts.

PS: Work on your brisket and you might find you can get it near your local BBQ place. I find few places that make brisket better than I do at my house (slightly biased opinion). Google Bludawg method and give it a try!

Back