Where do you buy your brisket?

Just went to Sam's again tonight looking for a packer for the Super Bowl. Hoping to get a decent choice but they had 3 primes for 2.98/lb. I picked up a 13.5 lb for the game.

Ok i wasn't just speaking of buying briskets from them. What beef commodity do they buy from and who cuts all their meat and packages it for Wal-Mart? Is that the same company that the above mentioned stores buy from. All I am saying is when they went pre packaged I stoped buying meat from them. Again it's not an attack on anybody. It's just my personal preference. Geez lighten up folks.

A cryovac is a cryovac. Very few butchers get sides of beef to breakdown these days. Those hand cut steaks....yup came from a cryovac. Boxed meat is the standard.

No one is taking it personal that you prefer different vendors but i wouldn't want someone who doesn't know better to think that a Swift brand choice packer in a cryovac from walmart is any different than any other Swift brand choice packer in a cryovac.

Not to fuel the fire but does Sam's and Walmart use the same meat buyers. The reason I ask is that I've found Prime packers at Sam's for less than $3/lb but I never seem to find them at the walmart that is in the same parking lot. Most the time they have some decent flats, sometimes they have no brisket at all. My sam's typically always has brisket and goes back and forth between choice and prime.

Not to fuel the fire but does Sam's and Walmart use the same meat buyers. The reason I ask is that I've found Prime packers at Sam's for less than $3/lb but I never seem to find them at the walmart that is in the same parking lot. Most the time they have some decent flats, sometimes they have no brisket at all. My sam's typically always has brisket and goes back and forth between choice and prime.

At the Sam's Club, it's up to the Meat Manger, he can order prime. Some stores in the KC area carries them. I setup at a comp beside one, he was the person that I got this info from.

As far as Walmart, I have no idea.

I'm sure that Walmart and Sam's leverage their buying power together to get the best pricing available to them. If they didn't, their profits would be less.

In retail, the managers order what sell the most. Shelf/cooler/freezer space is a premium and they make sure to stock what sells the most for their clientele. I don't have the actual numbers but I can imagine that the average shopper at Sam's compared to the average shopper at WalMart makes more money, spends more money, and wants a higher quality product. Which would be the reason why you can find choice and prime packers at Sam's while only finding lower grade packers or finding nothing related to a brisket at Walmart.

I get mine at Wally World or RD. Sam's here only has flats and I just renewed my Costco membership when I picked up my Big Joe. Haven't checked there that much.

I was back at Sam's again yesterday and they had at least 10 prime packers on sale for 2.88/lb. I almost bought one to freeze but don't have a free weekend to smoke in the near future after tomorrow.

our local Costco almost always has a stack of primes waiting to go. I have had much better luck with theirs than anywhere else. However, I couldn't make it there in time the last few days and had to get a 20 pounder choice from Kroger. Its been on the egg for about 14 hours now, hopefully it turns out well.

Gonna have to check out Costco. Have never cooked a prime brisket.

Usually stock up when they go on sale at Kroger, Market Street or other grocery stores. Prefer choice over select and my local WalMart usually just has selects. However go by look, bendability, etc and sometimes the selects beat the choice ones. We have a Kroger just down the street so when they go on sale it's easy to check back every day or two to see what they have out that day.

Have had good luck at Target lately on some nice choice briskets.

Looking forward to seeing what Smitty cooks (and what smoker he brings) at the North Texas bash in April.

I envy a lot of things here. Smokers. Outdoor kitchen setups. Accommodating wives. The thing I envy most is the brisket selection available in certain regions. Overpriced, over trimmed flats here are the rule. Finding select grade packers is hit or miss (still overpriced). I'm joining KCBS so I can make an hour and a half drive to RD.

Back