How to get that deep dark bark on brisket?

Headgear

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
David
I need a little advice on bark. I have been cooking a little so far on a new stick burner. I have been smoking brisket for years but have been never able to get that deep dark bark that I see others attain. I have used quite a few different types of smokers and rubs but they always come out more of a mahogany color than dark, nearly black. I have always liked the flavor of meat from others who have that kind of bark too. I don't know if the darker bark and flavor always go together or not. Any ideas? Thank you.

Bark is a product of smoke, rub, and air flow.

A course rub will make better bark than a powdery rub. Theory is, it creates more surface area for smoke to adhere. And a powdery rub will block smoke from the meat surface. Just simple S/P will make a dark bark.

Moisture on the meat attracts smoke. Meatheads' PHD over at Amazing Ribs has done a good experiment showing how wet objects attract smoke. I keep a water pan in my smokers and spritz.

Good air flow will come with the type of smoker. I think about any stickburner should have good enough air flow to create good bark, though I know that my Franklin makes better bark than my Brazos did. But both creat dark bark.

My Masterbuilt 560 GF had good air flow and created dark bark. It had better air flow than my Assassin 17 GF. But my WSM never did, just not enough air flow. I suspect the kamado type cookers are the same.

There's a theory going round the internets that slowing down air flow will give the smoke particles more time to attach to the meats. Something about the smoke " lingering " in the cook chamber. My experience says that's a false idea. I got better bark with stronger air flow.

And that's about all I know about that.

This was the only brisket I smoked on the 560 GF, it made a nice bark. It was a cute little 9 pounder.

erBr8xy.jpg

Last edited:
What temp are you cooking at? My pellet smoker will create a meteorite if on for long enough. At higher temps it can have a mahogany hue. With only salt/pepper.

For Texas BBQ I firmly feel that it’s all the pepper that helps create that deep dark bark. My briskets which I usually rub “Texas style” with course black pepper & salt always produce a darker bark vs my pulled pork which is typically done with a standard BBQ rub.

I guess I’m just lucky. I get a black crust on pretty much all of my briskets.

I usually use a WSM, the minion method using Kingsford charcoal, apple or post oak chucks, with water and beer in the pan. Simple salt and pepper rub. Fat side up, no wrap, and no spritzing since it is self basting from the water&beer in the pan. I usually pull when they are probe tender which is around around 203°. I wrap in paper for the rest with fat side up. The temps on my early brisket cooks targeted 225°f, and my later cooks target the 250° to 275°f range.

1385-DAE6-2704-444-F-8-F44-17-BB944-AA7-D0.jpg

Bark is a product of smoke, rub, and air flow.

A course rub will make better bark than a powdery rub. Theory is, it creates more surface area for smoke to adhere. And a powdery rub will block smoke from the meat surface. Just simple S/P will make a dark bark.

Moisture on the meat attracts smoke. Meatheads' PHD over at Amazing Ribs has done a good experiment showing how wet objects attract smoke. I keep a water pan in my smokers and spritz.

Good air flow will come with the type of smoker. I think about any stickburner should have good enough air flow to create good bark, though I know that my Franklin makes better bark than my Brazos did. But both creat dark bark.

My Masterbuilt 560 GF had good air flow and created dark bark. It had better air flow than my Assassin 17 GF. But my WSM never did, just not enough air flow. I suspect the kamado type cookers are the same.

There's a theory going round the internets that slowing down air flow will give the smoke particles more time to attach to the meats. Something about the smoke " lingering " in the cook chamber. My experience says that's a false idea. I got better bark with stronger air flow.

And that's about all I know about that.

This was the only brisket I smoked on the 560 GF, it made a nice bark. It was a cute little 9 pounder.

erBr8xy.jpg

Man, that's what I'm talking about! I have to start spritzing or mopping. That is one thing that I have not done yet. I do have a water tray in my smoker and it is a stick burner and I know I have good airflow. I will try keeping the meat a little more damp When do you start spritzing when it starts looking dry?

What temp are you cooking at? My pellet smoker will create a meteorite if on for long enough. At higher temps it can have a mahogany hue. With only salt/pepper.

I also have a One Star and I never get that dark of bark and I usually run it at 235.

Man, that's what I'm talking about! I have to start spritzing or mopping. That is one thing that I have not done yet. I do have a water tray in my smoker and it is a stick burner and I know I have good airflow. I will try keeping the meat a little more damp When do you start spritzing when it starts looking dry?

I don't look at the brisket till 3 hours into the cook. Then every hour or sometimes 30 minutes, just go on feel.

Back