Where do you buy brisket?

How is the quality at a non butcher? Are Walmart and Costco as good brisket as a much more expensive butcher
the whole meat is better at a butcher thing is a myth. it could be better than a super market or wholesale club but not guaranteed. due to volume the cost of a small butcher is almost always higher. it's up to the individual to determine if paying more for the butcher experience is worth it

Making a 7 pounder today as a braised brisket.
Fingers crossed
Let us know how it goes. I have always wanted to try braising a brisket, and I know it can be great.. But I always tend to do them in the smoker. One thing though - don't try and trim it with your fingers crossed.

Many of us save the fat for tallow and other projects, after discarding the outer most surface. It has many uses. You can always freeze the fat and deal with it when you have more time.

The best brisket I have had came from a friend's grass and milk fed dairy cows. She only raised two, and they were very happy cows. Incredibly delicious. The fat was unreal good.

Every piece of cryovac'd meat you buy should have a packer establishment number, "EST". I usually look at those when shopping and write them down or photo when cooking. With a bit of effort you can look them up to see more detail on the origin. If you are seeing the same EST at different stores - Sams vs Costco, odds are it is generally the same stuff (aside from the substantial variation in briskets).

Let us know how it goes. I have always wanted to try braising a brisket, and I know it can be great.. But I always tend to do them in the smoker. One thing though - don't try and trim it with your fingers crossed.

Many of us save the fat for tallow and other projects, after discarding the outer most surface. It has many uses. You can always freeze the fat and deal with it when you have more time.

The best brisket I have had came from a friend's grass and milk fed dairy cows. She only raised two, and they were very happy cows. Incredibly delicious. The fat was unreal good.

Every piece of cryovac'd meat you buy should have a packer establishment number, "EST". I usually look at those when shopping and write them down or photo when cooking. With a bit of effort you can look them up to see more detail on the origin. If you are seeing the same EST at different stores - Sams vs Costco, odds are it is generally the same stuff (aside from the substantial variation in briskets).
It's funny,....growing up as a youngster....in AR, my mom fixed pot roast almost every Sunday...threw it in the oven, left it there while we went to church....etc....came home, made gravy...YUM.

All my young life, our pot roast WAS brisket...as that it was the cheapest cut of meat and mom knew long braise with gravy was a great meat to eat on during the week.

I didn't know people DID other cuts of beef for pot roast....

LOL, actually when I was growing up, we simply referred to it as "roast beef"....not knowing that to other folks (especially up north)...roast beef can by dry roasting a cut and if you braised it, it was pot roast.

I dated a girl from NH for awhile......learned how regional things were in the US, haha.

Anyway, we had some good BBQ joint in Little Rock..."The Shack" was my fav...I still do their sauce today. I had chopped beef brisket sandwiches there, always served with slaw ON them....

Anyway, flash forward a few decades...and brisket is $$$....and now...I"m in the mood for some (pot) roast beef!!!
;)

cayenne

I've been having good luck at US Chef store lately. They've had prime full packer briskets at a decent price (I don't remember the price but I remember being happy about it lol)
WOW....

I just had posted my post...where I mentioned The Shack...and then went back a page and saw your post!!

When did you live in Little Rock...had to be about the same time I grew up there...as that there is NO Shack there anymore for a long time...

Did you get their BBQ sauce recipe out of the Arkansas Gazette news paper too when they published it?

Wow...small freakin' world....

cayenne

Costco-$3.99
Walmart-$3.69
Both are whole packers and "choice" grade. I've have good luck with both.

WOW....

I just had posted my post...where I mentioned The Shack...and then went back a page and saw your post!!

When did you live in Little Rock...had to be about the same time I grew up there...as that there is NO Shack there anymore for a long time...

Did you get their BBQ sauce recipe out of the Arkansas Gazette news paper too when they published it?

Wow...small freakin' world....

cayenne
I think you maybe replied to the wrong post? If you didn't reply to the wrong post them I'm confused and I'll apologize, I get confused a lot, but it's ok, because I don't know POOPIE about boxing.

I buy about 90% of my briskets from Kroger, and only buy them if they are Excel (most of the time this is what they have) brand. When they have Swift I don't buy anything. When we are visiting our son in Pearland TX I bring back 3 or 4 from HEB.

Back