Keith, it has been fun working with you on the prototypes and I really learned quite a bit about fabricating custom parts. I'll will add a cad drawing or two and some DIY hints as soon as I can. While it ain't the same as L&S (or even H&F) cooking in a more tratitional smoker there is a LOT of good things to be said for cooking over an open fire, most of all an incredible "taste" you just can't get any other way I know of.

Keith, it has been fun working with you on the prototypes and I really learned quite a bit about fabricating custom parts. I'll will add a cad drawing or two and some DIY hints as soon as I can. While it ain't the same as L&S (or even H&F) cooking in a more tratitional smoker there is a LOT of good things to be said for cooking over an open fire, most of all an incredible "taste" you just can't get any other way I know of.
Ditto Dave... The cooks are very fun, sometimes I'll start out H&F, then bump to L&S for a while and finish direct in between. Nothing the 007 can't do for sure!

Nice design Keith. The swing away with the kettle lid is a great idea and allows for normal shutdown. :thumb:
Thanks very much. Yea it's nice to shut down fast saving the wood for a quick start on the next cook.

Pretty awesome Keith! Does the whole thing spin? I'd love to see a video!
Thanks Decoy, the swivel grate goes 360* with the drum stationary.

Seems I lost most of my pics from my phone, this is what I have.

All built.

I added a thermo to the Webber lid.

I will say of you have any wind you will need a wind block of some sort. I always have wind here.

I used my Big Poppa basket.

Here was a pic comparing temps.

Some action shots.

I really love using this swivel grate. I want to try butts on it very soon.

I was a pleasure working with Keith and Dave on this. Now I have another great cooker that only a few have.

Looks like someone needs to hit the comp trail to me.That thing has potential,just use your imagination.

That's really interesting, Keith. (I needed to chime in in case you didn't already know that.) While the heat delivers differently, I suppose the fire is maintained just the same as somebody would for a small offset?

That's really interesting, Keith. (I needed to chime in in case you didn't already know that.) While the heat delivers differently, I suppose the fire is maintained just the same as somebody would for a small offset?
Well a little different, but sometimes the same. Most cooks are direct from a distance or can be indirect so they give much different results. The smoke is the cleanest so in that aspect yes it's like a offset. Even with a bad fire you have clean smoke if that makes sense...the exhaust is like open top cooking.

Well a little different, but sometimes the same. Most cooks are direct from a distance or can be indirect so they give much different results. The smoke is the cleanest so in that aspect yes it's like a offset. Even with a bad fire you have clean smoke if that makes sense...the exhaust is like open top cooking.

Yes , there is always clean smoke . I will try to make smoke to try to get a bit more smoke flavor. Even low temp cooking the smoke is clean.

I may be bitched at for this but people think they have clean smoke. Even me, until I started using this. You can't even see it but you can taste it. If you see smoke coming out of your smoker , it isn't clean smoke.

If you all were cooking with the lid's vents closed, I suppose the exhaust system would slightly resemble that of a cooker like the Hasty Bake, where the vents are around food level.

If you all were cooking with the lid's vents closed, I suppose the exhaust system would slightly resemble that of a cooker like the Hasty Bake, where the vents are around food level.

The convection is pretty unique... The heat & smoke are going into the lid area but the main airflow exits just below it around the perimeter. Not having the airflow blast around the meat things stay extra moist...at least that's my experience. It's one of those things you'll have to use to truly understand..if that makes sense. It's just so different.

Hey Keith, i was looking at the pictures again. Why did you use a squared of lower grate not round. I looks like you could hang a kettle lid in there.

Dueling dinners.

Psb wins.

Chicken.

Grate.

Brisket

Wind guard

Looks like my favorite ninjas nemesis

But wait theres more...........

.................wait for it...............

Just a little longer now............

Get ready...........................................

For.................

Stickless kabobs? :noidea:

Hey Keith, i was looking at the pictures again. Why did you use a squared of lower grate not round. I looks like you could hang a kettle lid in there.
That's just a hanging basket that will hold pans of food or just to catch drippings/cook indirect. My version #1 has a round hanging grate.

The kettle lid can hold on the rod that the grate swivels on but I don't trust it and usually just put the lid off to the side.

Back