How to make Great Turkeys on The Big Easy Oil less Fryer.

Anyone use this in the low twenties? How cold is too cold for this thing? Thanks.

I've used it in the high 20's with no problem. The tank pressure is to only concern. Have a at least 1/2 full tank of propane. Since it's infra red temp does not make as much difference.

Finally got it put together and would like to try a big chicken or a small turkey on it.

i-4ZhVPGq-XL.jpg

What's the ideal size of turkey to cook on this?

Finally got it put together and would like to try a big chicken or a small turkey on it.

i-4ZhVPGq-XL.jpg

What's the ideal size of turkey to cook on this?

16 recommended but I've done a 22# turkey. Remember the weight sold includes gizzard/heart/liver pack and in some cases a giblet gravy pack And neck bone and anything else they can find to add weight.

If it will fit in the supplied basket, you can cook it to perfection.

Well had some time over this 3 day weekend to play a little. Wondered how the new GrillEye would work with TBE. Did a chicken as I don't want any surprises when the Holidays roll around. This rig has probably done around 75 turkeys and many chickens. I left it out one year uncovered over a patio overhang. Rain and UV have taken their toll. Now I went back to using a large trash bag over it and it fared well this year. Still it's a cheap cooker and I only paid $75 for it.

Set up the chick with a probe in deepest part of the breast and let her ride with cover on.

OfH7eVL.jpg

Pulled cover after color was to liking

pQ583oJ.jpg

Temps coming along nicely although Hurricane Harvey blew mosquitoes up here that could strattle a quarter. Had to go indoors. God Bless those folks down South.

8O1LHCo.png

BxZtUBj.png

Took about an hour.

I1hrZgi.jpg

Or6iwac.jpg

Fun stuff. Thanks for lookin. I'm ready for the Holidays.

I found this on the website, not sure how this works in your plan of reflection. After reading this, it may be the cause of my 1.5 hour prematurely done turkey cooking time as I also cleaned to new stainless appearance. I guess I should learn to read instruction before I use the unit. LOL...

"Be sure the cooking chamber has been well seasoned. Seasoning will result in the stainless steel pot turning a dark brown which will optimize cooking performance. To season the cooking chamber, wipe down inside surfaces with cooking oil and allow the unit to burn on high for 15 minutes or until the unit stops smoking."

http://content.charbroil.com/content/Char-Broil/Knowledge/Big Easy document.htm#A1

Been going back through the thread and after this great post and link by IAMM, I'm going to re-season. My Wife has been scrubbing that thing back to shiny for the last few uses. Looks like we've lost the good seasoning to make it cook more evenly.

Been going back through the thread and after this great post and link by IAMM, I'm going to re-season. My Wife has been scrubbing that thing back to shiny for the last few uses. Looks like we've lost the good seasoning to make it cook more evenly.

Doing 2 big chickens on Sunday to "re-season" after neglect and non-use :tsk:

It says to wipe with oil and run till smoke stops. I'm thinking about peanut oil. Any other kinds to use?

Well just ordered a 14-16 lb Turkey from a Turkey farm Will be a fresh kill with no additives in it Will brine for about 24 hrs before hand Plan to use TBE Hopefully this will turn out better than the last use. I did a chicken It was windy and cold The chicken was pretty much raw This time I plan to use the guru electric thermometer so I can read it easier. Do you let TBE get hot and put the Turkey in for do you start the cook with TBE cold Also Mike you said in a beginning post that you raise the bird about an inch off the basket for a more even cook- what do you use Looking forward to trying this again Its been a while

Back