How long to cook a spatchcock turkey?

I have a good pair a poultry shears but there are getting a bit dull. it's definitely a bit of a struggle and I do not look forward to it. if I had any issues I would not be opposed to cutting out the backbone with my oscillating multi-tool or my small sawzall. I'm just looking for an excuse to use power tools sometimes

I used my wood cutting bandsaw once to cut some beef marrow bones for making stock. Made a horrible mess and I regretted it.

I've also used a Japanese dovetail saw to cut the bone end off a big spiral ham so it'd fit in my oven. That was much easier to clean.

How do you guys spatchcock your turkeys? I have done it before, but my poultry shears and my hands do not really like it. Last week I cooked four bone in, skin on turkey breast for a friend. Original plan was to spatchcock them, but arthritic thumbs didn't allow that to happen. Scissors are just too lightweight. Even after cooking, they were a beotch to debone. Meat was very moist and wanting to fall apart as I was going through the task. He said everyone enjoyed the meat.

Thanks,

Robert

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get some Pruning Shears. Should be able to find some with enough leverage.

A timely read for me, Steve! I’ve spatched for 5 or 6 years now, but always on my 26er kettle. This year, I’ll be using my new RecTec 1250, and I’m not smart enough to do a practice run! �� Yours looks like it turned out great! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours amigo!

Back