What do you rub your chicken with for smokin' ?

dry brine with salt, then before putting on the smoker a coating of olive oil, black pepper, onion and garlic powder and Italian seasoning. No additional salt due to the brine.

Homemade: SPOG + thyme
Commercial: 1) Light layer of Boar's Night Out Double Garlic Butter + Chupacabra Orig, or 2) Chupacabra Cluckalicious

My go-to OTC run for chicken and pork is pappys. The only “negative “ I have would be their pepper is very coarse. Otherwise tastes great and economical. In fact I’m using those for drummies tonight on the old Weber kettle.

In my teenage years and early 20's my parents owned a small deli and chicken shop. Their rotisserie chickens were the talk of the town and the seasoning was key to this.

Dad would mix the spices weekly into a bucket and then scoop into a shaker. I do not have the exact recipe but in general:

Garlic Powder (or granulated)
Onion Powder
Italian Mixed Spice (So basically Oregano / Basil etc )
Paprika (you choose which one but this is a key ingredient for colour and flavour)
Celery Salt
Black Pepper.

I do this when making my own rub for a whole chicken. For chicken parts I tend to just use a commercial rub.

Any of you can make a great rub out of these ingredients. You all probably know the balance required.

I like both Yardbird and Mccormick Rotisserie chicken seasoning, but i want to point out that Mccormick has less salt. And is why its my go to.
Also, and hear me out, I love MSG which the Mccormick doesn't have, and neither does Yardbird. But Yardbird does contain I+G which is a MSG enhancer. I love that stuff too by the way, but i find it hilarious they add that and go out of their way to claim no MSG.
That said, i do use Yardbird for Pork Butts.

20231014-225539.jpg

20231014-225558.jpg

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone was adding MSG. I have a package, purchased a few years ago, but have not actually used it. I do know my favorite rub growing up had it, but now does not, and that is Tex-Joy, from Beaumont Tx.

Unable to find it when we moved to New England, I tried to copy the taste. I call it Dry Rub #4, which is close enough. It consists of the following....

2 Cups Paprika (smoked, Spanish, Hungarian, whatever)
1 Cup Salt
1 Cup Pepper (coarse fresh ground, blend of black, white, pink, green corns)
4 Tsp Cumin
4 Tsp Onion granules
4 Tsp Garlic granules

This is what I used at my bbq place, on all meats, and periodically adjusted for the crowd and/or event. For example, I often add 1 Tsp of Cayenne, or possibly omit the Cumin and add Rosemary/Sage.

This will soon become Dry Rub #5 as I have gotten older and need less salt generally.

I have also liked commercial rubs, Tony C's, Tex-Joy (that is now easier to get), Slap Yo Mama.....noticable Southeast Texas/Southwest Louisana influence...

Just plain and simple for us. Light sprinkle of kosher salt and sprinkle with paprika. Add smoke to taste. Mighty fine it is.

I was wondering if anyone was adding MSG. I have a package, purchased a few years ago, but have not actually used it. I do know my favorite rub growing up had it, but now does not, and that is Tex-Joy, from Beaumont Tx.

Unable to find it when we moved to New England, I tried to copy the taste. I call it Dry Rub #4, which is close enough. It consists of the following....

2 Cups Paprika (smoked, Spanish, Hungarian, whatever)
1 Cup Salt
1 Cup Pepper (coarse fresh ground, blend of black, white, pink, green corns)
4 Tsp Cumin
4 Tsp Onion granules
4 Tsp Garlic granules

This is what I used at my bbq place, on all meats, and periodically adjusted for the crowd and/or event. For example, I often add 1 Tsp of Cayenne, or possibly omit the Cumin and add Rosemary/Sage.

This will soon become Dry Rub #5 as I have gotten older and need less salt generally.

I have also liked commercial rubs, Tony C's, Tex-Joy (that is now easier to get), Slap Yo Mama.....noticable Southeast Texas/Southwest Louisana influence...

Because of all the controversy and possible problems with MSG...I just avoid it completely.

I know a lot of take out Asian places still use it, but I don't cook with it and haven't found a seasoning "Hole" in my repertoire without it....

Just my $0.02,

C

Back