How to make Great Turkeys on The Big Easy Oil less Fryer.

After reading on here about the Bid Easy I got one and did our turkey in it this year. The days of oil frying are gone, this cooker is the way to go. Thanks to everyone for posting all the great info on the fryer. I'm really looking forward to trying some wings in it.

Our T-day bird, No fuss cookin on the turkey Toaster!

15220060_1171960362896678_7687889563477746370_n.jpg

Later,
Doug

Great looking bird Sir!

After reading on here about the Bid Easy I got one and did our turkey in it this year. The days of oil frying are gone, this cooker is the way to go. Thanks to everyone for posting all the great info on the fryer. I'm really looking forward to trying some wings in it.

That rig will pay for itself in oil savings alone.

The only bad thing is the name. I just tell people its the Big Easy, works by infrared. Im tired of explaining what an oilless fryer is and them not understanding.

I have this conversation at least once a year

"Wow this is good. How did you cook the turkey?"

"I cooked it on my big easy oilless turkey fryer. Perfect birds every time with no hassle"

"So wheres the oil? "

"There is no oil. Its an 'oilless' turkey fryer."

"Well than hows it a fryer?"

"Look, i didn't name the thing ok, shut up and your damn turkey. It's delicious"

Just email them this link Ninja then take questions. :thumb: This and the basics start on page one of this thread for anyone who wants to learn more.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWCmhrQapXI"]The Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer - YouTube[/ame]

It really is so simple folks have a hard time believing it.

Just email them this link Ninja then take questions. :thumb: This and the basics start on page one of this thread for anyone who wants to learn more.

It really is so simple folks have a hard time believing it.

Did anyone else notice????

Someone should tell the illustrators that the directions call for the breasts to be up, the illustrated simulation has the bird upside down in the basket and in the cooker.

Did anyone else notice????

Someone should tell the illustrators that the directions call for the breasts to be up, the illustrated simulation has the bird upside down in the basket and in the cooker.

Oh yeah. Been telling folks for years to always do them breast up. The description in the vid is spot on though.

My instruction booklet says and shows breast up and indicates the legs and breast reach their proper respective temperatures at the same time.

On my particular unit I let the breast hit 167*F which ensures the thighs are done. The breasts stay moist. No drying out at all. It has to do with the heat venting out the top with IR.

When the breast on mine hit 165 I pulled it up and stuck the thighs with my Thermopen. They showed 158 and the breast showed 168. I put it back in for 15 more minutes. They then probed 169 and the breast was 174-180. The legs and thighs were perfect but the wing flats were quite a bit over done. Breast even at that temp was still good.

When the breast on mine hit 165 I pulled it up and stuck the thighs with my Thermopen. They showed 158 and the breast showed 168. I put it back in for 15 more minutes. They then probed 169 and the breast was 174-180. The legs and thighs were perfect but the wing flats were quite a bit over done. Breast even at that temp was still good.

Thanks for that good info. Other factors include how much it's seasoned and the IT of the bird when it's put on. When my Wife cleans the SS cylinder I think all my seasoning goes away.

Going to do a Christmas bird and try spraying the cylinder with PAM or the like and get it up to temp for a more even cooking affect. Of course I've had no problem like it is now.

I thing ive learned cooking chicken is speed counts. When poultry is cooked hot/fast is seems to dry out less, even when over cooked a bit.

I cooked a 12 lb'er today on my Big Easy. Small bird caused it to get away from me, and final temps were 175 in breast and about 185 in dark meat,(thickest part of the thigh), and total cook time was 1 hour and 33 minutes. The result was still one of the best turkeys I've ever cooked, let alone eaten.

It was very flavorful, moist and tender. I used a pre-made creole hot and spicy butter injection in the breasts only.

I've seen people mention wing tips being overdone. I tried to counter this by tucking the wing tips under the legs. Seemed to work well.

The breast was especially moist and fall apart tender. The test eaters were worried it was under cooked because the meat was so tender and juicy.

Clean up was a breeze, a simple wipe down with a paper towel or three, and I'm all set for the next cook. Next bird will be closer to 16 lbs, as this small one didn't leave me enough leftovers :)

I cooked a 12 lb'er today on my Big Easy. Small bird caused it to get away from me, and final temps were 175 in breast and about 185 in dark meat,(thickest part of the thigh), and total cook time was 1 hour and 33 minutes. The result was still one of the best turkeys I've ever cooked, let alone eaten.

It was very flavorful, moist and tender. I used a pre-made creole hot and spicy butter injection in the breasts only.

I've seen people mention wing tips being overdone. I tried to counter this by tucking the wing tips under the legs. Seemed to work well.

The breast was especially moist and fall apart tender. The test eaters were worried it was under cooked because the meat was so tender and juicy.

Clean up was a breeze, a simple wipe down with a paper towel or three, and I'm all set for the next cook. Next bird will be closer to 16 lbs, as this small one didn't leave me enough leftovers :)
On my next one I will tuck the wings. They were sticking out like he was trying to fly on this one. Probably why they got overcooked.

When I oil fried I always cut the wings off and cooked them later to keep from becoming crispy crittered.

I cooked a 17.5 lb turkey on thanksgiving. It was very good, but it did take 3.5 hours to cook. I like the chicken it cooks better than turkeys. The gravey drippings make all the difference. I did cook a 6 pound chicken last night that took 2.5 hours to cook. It was very windy and cold. Made a huge difference on cook times. Previous 6 lb chickens only took 1.5 - 1.75 hours to cook.

I cooked a 17.5 lb turkey on thanksgiving. It was very good, but it did take 3.5 hours to cook. I like the chicken it cooks better than turkeys. The gravey drippings make all the difference. I did cook a 6 pound chicken last night that took 2.5 hours to cook. It was very windy and cold. Made a huge difference on cook times. Previous 6 lb chickens only took 1.5 - 1.75 hours to cook.

Yeah it looks like the burner is protected from wind but all sorts of wind gusts can really rearrange the IR heat radiation. I've done birds with no wind but a cold temps and that does not seem to bother it.

Back