Help Big Mista Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was an awesome day! So happy to be able to film with Big Mista Phyllis and the crew! Had a blast for sure and it will be such a fun episode to watch. The BBQ was insanely good.

I'm surprised you didn't crash the Bash; we were talking about you (in reverent tones, of course).

It was an awesome day! So happy to be able to film with Big Mista Phyllis and the crew! Had a blast for sure and it will be such a fun episode to watch. The BBQ was insanely good.

Really looking forward to seeing that episode! Neil and Phyllis are as good as it gets - and you rock as well!

Bigmista's traditional meats (pulled pork, brisket, ribs etc.) are really great - but what really gets me these days is the pastrami and the turkey. I just don't understand how the turkey gets/stays that tender and juicy - everybody I've turned on to it is amazed by it. And Neil makes everything look so dang easy.

There might need to be an impromptu Brethren get-together this weekend somewhere if Diva Q is still in the area.

I'm voting for Roscoe's in Long Beach (even though I just had Roscoe's in Anaheim last week... can't have their chicken and waffles with a Pit Bull too often)

However, if the BBQ Crawl camera's are there, hide the Gentlemen Jack :mrgreen:

Hey, Danielle, you're only in Barrie? I pass Barrie a couple dozen times a year, either going to Rama for concerts or to visit my mother in Muskoka. She moved to Guelph this past summer so will have less trips that way but will still pass by several times a year. I love the Big Bone restaurant at Minet's Point, I stop there when we have time.

Phyllis is awesome as is Neil. I met them at the Comp in So. Cal in the middle of the Santa Anita racetrack (horses). She recognized me from my Avatar picture and gave me a big hug. "BBQ Brethren people are the best" were the first words out of her mouth. Great, warm, caring people.

Well I got down there, but before all the action started and I couldn't hang around long. Still worth the trip for sure though! Got to holler at Neil and Phyllis and get some amazing grub as usual.

One of my favorite sights to see.

photo-1076.jpg

Neil and the TV crew. Probably discussing the motorcycle-jump-through-the-exploding-building stunt that Neil's gonna do.

photo-473.jpg

Real. Good. Meat. Pastrami (try and eat it without dropping an F-bomb - not possible!), magic turkey (how do he do that?) and I always love the hot links.

photo-2129.jpg

I have to kinda sneak out of work and be gone a little longer than I should to get down there, but it's totally worth it. Neil's cooking makes living in SoCal better for a displaced Southerner such as myself. I'm really looking forward to the restaurant opening up - I believe they're still raising $ on the gofundme page. Check it out!

http://www.gofundme.com/6ok0tc

Thanks for the heads up Scott! :clap2: Didn't see the filming, but my stomach sure is happy!

BTW, BBQ Crawl is a seriously enjoyable show - I love the approach of it and the crazy amounts of food pron! DivaQ is a great hostess too!

You all have been fantastic through all of this. And you never cease to amaze me. To give you a thorough update would take way to long and a lot of alcohol.

But the short and dirty of it is that the restaurant downtown is not going to happen. With all the round and round he put his foot in his mouth by offering us an out and I took it. At the time he said he would return our monies and let us walk away. Well we walked away and we're still waiting. The only reason we don't sue is because we don't want to tie up any remaining funds that we can use to get in a spot. But wait til we do.

Since then we've been on the hunt for a location. We tried for two locations in Long Beach that didn't pan out. Then we tried for a spot in Norwalk. At escrow closing owner said he didn't want us lighting fires so that cost us $2,000 in canceled escrow fees.

Finally we came upon another spot in Long Beach in a residential neighborhood. It's currently an Italian bakery. The bakery owner said we had to get approval from the landlord. After a short conversation we found out the owner was a fan and knew who we were.

Short story even shorter, we close on Friday and will soon give birth to Bigmista's Barbecue & Sammich Shop. And since it is a bakery, we plan to come up with a signature bread that is unique to our spot and to barbecue.

For all of you who have contributed we understand that this is not what you had envisioned for us and we are more that happy to return anyone's money once we get up and running or the previous place returns our funds, whichever comes first.

We plan to have a soft opening maybe next week and we're going to be in operation while we turn the place into our own thing.

As usual we couldn't have done this without you. I wish you all success in every endeavor and all my love.

Sorry to hear about the bumpy ride - but at some point it will work out - y'all will have your spot and we'll have a great place to eat! :hungry:

Holler if you need anything and good luck - hope things smooth out for you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back