Akorn grill - having a hard time getting over 350F

Horseflesh

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
MS
I'm actually trying to help out a friend of mine, who is in another state so I can't inspect his setup. He says he always has a hard time getting his Akorn hot, with 350F about the limit.

I was hoping some Akorn users might give me some ideas to pass on to him.

Heat always comes down to fuel and airflow; in my Big Green Egg I found temperature control and hitting higher temps much easier when I ditched the factory fuel grate (the kind with holes) and moved to a grate that breathed more easily. But before I suggest he buy an accessory like a Kick Ash basket, I would love to hear from some other users. Maybe there is something else going on.

Oh, I just realized... He might have the factory grate in upside down. (I assume it has a right side up, like the BGE OEM grate.)

Thanks a bunch if you have any other ideas!

What charcoal? What’s his start up procedure? What happens if he leaves the lid open ? What temp gauge is he using?

It’s a pretty simple setup - unless ash is caked up under the ash pan blocking the vent, it has to be chit charcoal or not leaving lid open long enuff on start up. If he uses lump - have him try briquettes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tm9JPS1ve5Y&pp=ygULQWtvcm4gZ3JpbGw=

Last edited:
He's using lump though I don't know the brand.

I've already advised him to check for ash blockage.

> ... it has to be chit charcoal or not leaving lid open long enuff

Now this was not what I expected to hear. My BGE starts very poorly unless I close it up and get that chimney effect -- once I get the fire started anyway.

I'll ask for his complete startup procedure.

Thanks!!

I have a Large BGE. Only use Lump in it. Need to make sure that its clean so the ash does not block airflow. Also have to build the charcoal bed properly to promote airflow. Put big pieces on the bottom and build from there. I arrange the pieces so there are gaps and cover the pieces so ash does not fall in and block it. I neverf pour the lump from the bag until the bottom layer is set up

I'm actually trying to help out a friend of mine, who is in another state so I can't inspect his setup. He says he always has a hard time getting his Akorn hot, with 350F about the limit.

Long time akorn owner here.

I had this problem in the past when the lump charcoal i was using was mostly small pieces.

For years i was under the mindset of fill it up, light it (i prefer electric starter, but also had great luck with weber cubes), burn whatever i needed too, and then close the vents to save the rest. For years no real problem getting it up to 500-700 to sear steaks. If anything i had to keep an eye on it because with both vents open the thing would soar up in temps within a 10 minute span. So long story short i had a few weekends when i couldnt get the darn thing past 300-400 even after 1 hour. I was starting it the same way, both the vents the same as before, etc.

So the next time i took out 50 percent of the lump and it was apparent that it was getting starved for airflow. It was all just tiny pieces left and there wasnt much circulation. That time i had absolutely no issue with starting it as usual, setting the vents, and 20 minutes later it was about 500 and quickly rising.

Ive used everything from royal oak to expensive brands. They all vary in quality over the years, but basically if you get a bag that is mostly small pieces, dont fill it over 30-50 percent of charcoal.

I get stuck once in a while where the temps won't rise. A small desk fan on the bottom intake vent can help a lot. Not too fast or you'll blow the heat right out the top vent. But it stems from not building the coal stack right or too much "bits" clogging up the airflow.

Back