Help!! Talk me out of a stick burner please!

With all that’s going on in todays crazy world, I personally think you made a great choice. Excellent food and easy drum cooking… all for a few hundred $’s. Tough to beat on numerous levels :)

I know I'm a little late to this post but.... If ya really wanna go primal, Pick a spot on the lawn where you don't want the grass to grow for a while. Throw some logs on the ground and light 'em up. When they get to glowin how you want em, throw some meat on the pile. If that turns out good for ya, Spend $$$$$$ on a stick burner. If not stick to your pellet pooper.
Just joshin Ya! Stick burners are great! which reminds me, I need to overhaul my Oklahoma Joe or get another.

I know this thread is about finished since your decision is made, but as a recent stick burner owner, thought my perspective might help some of you on the fence out there. First, I love to cook BBQ and I love toys and gadgets. I have a pellet smoker, a kamado Joe, a gas grill and a vertical gravity fed smoker (Myron Mixon G20) so of course I needed an off set stick burner. I researched for months and finally settled on a Shirley Fabrication Patio smoker. I absolutely love it. Clean smoke, drafts like a train and built like a tank. I haven't tried any long cooks yet like a port butt or brisket, waiting on a holiday or vacation for that. I will say it is critical to get your splits to the right size and never let your coal bed die out too much. The big splits tend to smolder and give off dirty smoke.

That said, it makes the best BBQ of all my cookers, hands down. That size Shirley is about $2k but you get a smoker that will last through your grandkids lifetime and makes wonderful BBQ. If on the fence, get a good quality stick burner with good thick metal that is well made and you won't ever regret it.

Back