In over my head here!

locolobo

is one Smokin' Farker
Ok guys, You very seldom hear me talk about cooking. That's because I don't do much. But the wife has thrown this at me. She's been cookin most of today and will be for tomorrow afternoon after Church until the big brouhaha At the daughters in the evening, so she put this on me

Prime rib, 5.6 lbs of it, $57 of it. Now I can cook a good steak and since PR is a buncha steaks that just don't know it yet, I've smothered it in EVOO cause she told me to. Then smothered it with McCormick Montreal steak seasoning Cause that's what I put on most of my steaks, then threw it in the fridge in a ziplock.

Now I know I could'a got the info somewhere else without typin a big, long message like this and makin Y'all have to put on your thinkin caps but what's the fun in that?
First things first. Anything I should do, or could do before kick off time? Next would be oven temp and cookin time. I and others prefer at least a little pink on the inside BUT there are others (Mrs Lobo in particular, She who I gotta please) who prefer boot leather texture and no sign that it had ever been alive. Is this combo possible?

If you guys can help me out I will write a glowing letter to Anne Landers telling her what a good bunch you are!

Last edited:
There's a big ole thread on PR here

But, here's the gist of it. First thing to decide is if you want a consistent edge to edge color/degree of doneness like this

roast1.jpg

Or if you want the "bullseye" effect like this

slow-roasted-prime-rib-recipe-featured-0031.jpg

If you want edge to edge, cook indirect at 225ish or less. If you want "bullseye", cook at 325 or more.

The lower the chamber temp, the more consistent the color and the smaller the band of well done meat on the exterior.

I prefer the edge to edge. For most ribeye roasts, plan on 4 to 5 hours for the cook for a roast coming right from the fridge at <40 degrees.

Weight is largely irrelevant for cooktime. Thickness determines the cook time. A 10lb 3 bone roast that is 5 inches thick will take approximately the same amout of time to cook as a full 7lb, 20lb roast that is also 5 inches thick. The only time this changes is that if the hunk is small enough that's it's width becomes it's shortest dimension (like a single bone, 2.5lb "roast"

when cooking at these low temps, you won't develop much of a bark or a crust. You can fix that at the end. When the meat gets to 10 degrees or so below your target temp, pull it and then put it into a high heat environment. Either stoke up your cooker, or just turn on your oven to 450+ and put the roast in for 15 mins. Depending on your cooker, another option is to move it directly over the heat source and roll it around to get some color.

After doing this reverse sear, pull the roast and let it stand for 15 to 20 minutes to get the juices redistribute.

. I and others prefer at least a little pink on the inside BUT there are others (Mrs Lobo in particular, She who I gotta please) who prefer boot leather texture and no sign that it had ever been alive. Is this combo possible?

Me, i'd divide it into two pieces and remove the first piece after it was cooked correctly and wrap and rest it while the other piece cooks. I'd crank up the heat to speed of that ruination process.

Back