Help w/ Estimates for Food for 125 ppl

drallan81

Knows what a fatty is.
I've taken on the task of cooking for my sons Scout Troop on an upcoming camping trip and was looking to run some #s or get some ideas on how much food to prepare.

Last year I did the cooking, but someone else managed the food purchasing and we had a lot of leftovers. As with everything trying to balance cost with enough food is difficult. Last years cookout was burgers / dogs / Mac n Cheese / Baked Beans / Green Beans.

This year I was thinking of replace the burgers w/ some pork. Initially the #s were around 75, but after final head count and opening things up to families it looks like things ballooned up to around 125.

Ideally I'd like to cook the pork night before and time it so it can go in a big cooler and keep for 4-5 hours and would only need to be pulled on site. I've rested 2-3 butts before, but anticipating needing a lot more this go around.

I want things to be a simple as possible, but also food safe for this many. Other option was to cook ahead of time, pull and fridge / freeze and just reheat on site.

How much raw pork butts would you estimate I need? It's 125 ppl, but half will be kids age 5-10. Also will be hot dogs but those are relatively cheap.

I can do roughly 6 pork butts at a time on the UDS (preferred method), but if need can fire up the pig roaster and put more on there.

I was going to do a 3ish #10 Cans of beans (green and baked), and maybe 6 boxes of Mac N Cheese.

Any suggestions?

Based on Suds calculations and your preferred UDS cook, 6x 8lb butts (with 50% loss) would be 24lbs cooked = Pork for 72 people. Add in sides, a ton of hot dogs, and dessert and you might pull it off (you'd very likely run out of pork if all 125 showed up).

Might be less stressful to pull out the pig roaster and do more than 6 butts. Suds calculated all 125 wanting 1/3lb but, small kids might only eat hot dogs so maybe 8-9 butts would do it. Of course, if I was there I'd probably eat a full pound :)

It'll be interesting to hear others thoughts as I have a similar big cook coming up Memorial day...

Yea....I'd say most of the kids will want the hot dogs instead of the pork.

You could put a full size pan of filet mignon out there next to dogs or burgers and the kids would grab the dogs or burgers.

I'd do the 6 butts in your UDS and figure when it's gone (if you have enough adults attending) the dogs are there if anyone is still hungry.

Thanks for the input everyone. Was thinking of trying to split the difference and see if I can cram 8-9 butts on the UDS. I've got a rotisserie ring that I rarely use, but will let me stick a 3rd rack on.

Any concerns of overloading a UDS with extra meat? I anticipate eating through more charcoal, but have a PartyQ that works well at maintaining temp and will keep air flowing. Other than maybe rotating the racks once or twice throughout the cook any concerns about over filling?

How long would you keep unpulled hot butts in a cooler? I know the food safety guidelines about food in the danger zone, but was hoping to get 4ish hours if I stuff a big cooler.

That would let me pull the butts off smoker just before leaving house, and give plenty of time to drive, check-in, setup campsite, then get to the food. Likely won't have chaffing dishes so might just have a helper pull the butts as food is being served to avoid it sitting out a long time.

Trying to balance the food safety with practicality for this type of event. I've been to countless cookouts where the dogs, burgers, sides, etc. sit in dishes on a picnic table for hours without issue. But also don't want to be the one responsible for getting a large group sick.

Once the butts are cooked they will keep longer. Food safety will be increased. How many kids go after green beans up there? You could not pay a kid down here to eat them when there are dogs and burgers around. Hope your cook goes well. :thumb:

So, how'd your cook go? How much did you cook, how many people, and were there leftovers?

Back