Pumpkin <fill in the blank> season is here!

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
It's been a few weeks since my sourdough starter has been fed. It was looking a bit lonely in the fridge. With the discard I made Sourdough Biscuits. Sorry, no pics. They were quite good as usual.

When the fed starter doubled in size the following day, I decided to make some Sourdough Loaves. But the recipe called for a mere tablespoon of starter to be mixed with water and flour for a Levain. With a lot of mature starter just begging to be used, I decided to make another sourdough loaf which would use more of the starter.

Since it's Pumpkin season I found my recipe for Sourdough Pumpkin Cranberry Bread. This allowed me to use a can of pumpkin puree which was still well within its expiration date, but used a lot more starter.

Here's the pumpkin dough after a few hours of proofing. I added Walnuts to the recipe so it'll officially be a Sourdough Pumpkin Cranberry Walnut Bread -

kkdsQN3.jpg

In the Banneton after additional time resting -

wGbh2dN.jpg

It's baked and done! -

LSj3d8t.jpg

2kyKODZ.jpg

YLwkhkr.jpg

5jhKbYV.jpg

Every bit as delicious as it looks. Pumpkin season is officially underway at our house. :mrgreen:

(It looks like HDR somehow got set on my S21. I need to disable it.)

Now, what about that other loaf? After a night in a jar, the levain (which was half the jar upon start) looked like this in the morning -

MJ1rZQo.jpg

For most of the day today, I've been turning and folding the dough. It's becoming a lot smoother with all the stretches and there are a few more to go. Then it gets to rest on the counter for a number of hours and into the fridge overnight. Baking these loaves (makes 2) will occur tomorrow and I'll update this post with the results.

But for now it's simply dough in a bowl -

jdMJRK3.jpg

There you have it. Sourdough (and pumpkin) season is in progress in my kitchen! It's good to be playing around with dough once again.

Regards,
-lunchman

Last edited:
Dom, that looks wonderful! I got out of bread about 3 months ago to change our diet at home and I miss it. Yesterday I made some yeast rolls and it has the itch going again...I may be growing a starter again soon?

Man, you know your shizz about bread making AND cooking, Dom.

A lot of steps in making good bread I see. I'd be lost.

That bread looks fantastic.

Sourdough Loaves Part 2:

After repeated stretches and folds yesterday afternoon (at least 5), I let the dough rest on the counter. After MNF I remembered that it needed to be split into two dough balls and placed in the fridge overnight.

Here's the result of resting on the countertop yesterday evening -

PrpeVSM.jpg

The Bannetons this morning -

DZhwdhK.jpg

9tP3gJO.jpg

A 450F oven, a flip onto parchment paper, some scoring and into a cold Dutch oven they go for 30 minutes, covered. I used the ice cube trick to create steam with a few cubes placed between the parchment paper and the wall of the DO. After 30 minutes, uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the internal temp is 200-205F.

Results:

Loaf #1 -

a6FEmDN.jpg

PIMClNl.jpg

gAbQAzj.jpg

Loaf #2 -

aFxisjv.jpg

BZ2rk5n.jpg

3jk01oE.jpg

They look great, bottoms are nicely browned. I won't be cutting into these as they're for friends and relatives. I'll simply need to trust my baking skills and assume they'll have a nice crumb. At least the internal temps were where I wanted them to be.

Oh yeah, the kitchen smells amazing this morning. Time for a slice of yesterday's bread!

Thanks for reading along on the continuing journey of my Sourdough Starter from March 2020.

Regards,
-lunchman

Back