Head Count for Fall 2014 SoCal Bash Starts Here: Saturday Oct. 11: North Hills/Van Nuys Airport Adjacent

mr_creosote.png

(Me after leaving the bash)

What an amazing day, thank you to Major for having us over, and for Moose for being the coordinator for this event.

It was great to see some familiar faces, and to meet many new ones. And holy farkamoley, was the food ridiculous!!!! Even trying to pace myself, I didn't get to eat everything. Here is what I remember (and no doubt, I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff that I ate with delight):

Sliced Brisket
Burnt Ends
Pizza
Chicken drummies marinated in stuff from Surinam
Pork tenderloin marinated in stuff from Surinam
Ribs
Pastrami
Bagna Cauda
Beans
Potato Salad
ABT's
Bacon wrapped meat spheres
Bacon fried rice
Bacon wrapped onion rings
Tri-tip
Pork Belly
Pulled Pork
Rugelach
Lemon Ice-Box Pie
Beer
Wine
Gentlemen Jack

wow... !!!

Didn't get a chance to take too many photos, but here's what I have

20141011_151030.jpg

SoCalWJS, campdude, gtr, Bigmista and SmokinJohn

20141011_170136.jpg

Moose and Mike Twangzer with (campdude, SmokinJohn and SoCalWJS in the background)

20141011_175329.jpg

Our gracious hosts

20141011_155033.jpg

silverfinger, SmokinJohn, Just BS and Major

20141011_160726.jpg

gtr (Greg) cooking up chicken and pork tenderloin marinated in deliciousness from Surinam (Faja Lobi)

20141011_164138.jpg

Now I want more chicken !!!

20141011_165212.jpg

Moose - the pizza whisperer

20141011_162752.jpg

20141011_164300.jpg

I can't remember what Marty was working on, but Ray wanted some!

100_2186.jpg

The ribs did not last long... Moose, please accept this as the Ribs throwdown entry photo for Just BS :mrgreen:

20141011_114958.jpg

My bacon wrapped meat spheres getting cooked on the UDS at home before leaving for the bash

I don't know what happened, but Chip must have been hiding from my camera, as he is the only one I didn't get a pic of. Let me say, his ABT's were off the hook great.

Once again... that was such a great time. Thank you to everyone for making Lee and I feel welcome. Looking forward to seeing all y'all again!!!

(the bucket of fruit I left was picked from the trees at my place yesterday morning, so it is fresh fresh fresh... limes, pomegranate and a variety of white guava that tastes like a cross between an apply and a cucumber - very refreshing)

I think this should have been called The Great BashApalooza. Holy macaroni !! Thank you so very much for the invitation. My wife and I had a great time and met so many wonderful people. Got to sample everything I have only seen in pictures on the forum.

Tried to pace myself from the start .. sipping a beer ... taking a bite and sharing with my wife. One bite became two ... then three ... forget sharing ... It was ALL mine !!! I was in a Q induced coma with no prospects of recovery. ... but I'm now ready for the next time.

Thank you all again. Mike

Many thanks to Major and his lovely wife for hosting all of us Farkers again, and also to Moose for all he put into it logistically. To everyone who cooked :hail::hail::hail:. Even pacing myself, I ate way to much. I'm still full this morning. Thanks Neil and Scott for posting the great pics. here's a few of mine showing a very limited sampling of the food.

Attachments

• 1011141605-00 (Small).jpg
    1011141605-00 (Small).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 1011141605-01 (Small).jpg
    1011141605-01 (Small).jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 1011141643-00 (Small).jpg
    1011141643-00 (Small).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 1011141643-01 (Small).jpg
    1011141643-01 (Small).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 1011141712-00 (Small).jpg
    1011141712-00 (Small).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 1011141607-00 (Small).jpg
    1011141607-00 (Small).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 1011141642-00 (Small).jpg
    1011141642-00 (Small).jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 1011141544-01 (Small).jpg
    1011141544-01 (Small).jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 104
I think this should have been called The Great BashApalooza. Holy macaroni !! Thank you so very much for the invitation. My wife and I had a great time and met so many wonderful people. Got to sample everything I have only seen in pictures on the forum.

Tried to pace myself from the start .. sipping a beer ... taking a bite and sharing with my wife. One bite became two ... then three ... forget sharing ... It was ALL mine !!! I was in a Q induced coma with no prospects of recovery. ... but I'm now ready for the next time.

Thank you all again. Mike

Mike, so glad you two could make it! It was great meeting you both and hanging out and eating tons of great food!

Had a great time last night!
So much food, so many great people.
This is the best kept secret in So Calif.

I only took one photo.
Cowgirl, this ones for you. :wink:
IMG_2851_zps88bc2300.jpg

:laugh::laugh: I LOVE it!!! That's getting printed off and going on my wall. :mrgreen:
Thanks Ray and Greg! :hug: :becky:

I'm still hoping Neil will help me figure a way to see his pics. Is anyone else able to view them?

First and foremost, to each and every Brethren that showed up, and brought WAY too much delicious food that some of us didn't even get to! But more importantly, the amazing company all of you were. I feel like we're starting to develop a "family", and I'm looking forward to watching that grow with each and every bash.

There were absolutely transcendent burnt ends of the likes I never imagined possible, world class Mac 'n Cheese, ribs, Tri-Tip, meat offerings wrapped in bacon, surinam pork tenderloin that was off the charts, smoked almonds, and that's just for starters. This was an EPIC bash, and it sure seemed like everyone had a stellar time.

I think we're a go for sometime in May, but the most exciting conversation that folks seemed receptive to was an actual SoCal Brethren Bash Camping trip at Mount Pinos sometime in June of next year.

Life is good...:cool:

That a funny pic right there SF - I mean "ha-ha" funny, not, you know...well, I guess it kinda is that too. NTTAWWT. :laugh:

I had a great time - it was great to see everybody and meet some new folks as well!

Here's some pix I took - I'm up way later than I should be after a busy MF day so I'll just toss 'em on up without comment...

pigs and squirrels from campdude (oh, I guess I'm commenting :doh:)

photo-370.jpg

Gentleman Jack made a lot of friends yesterday...

photo-1528.jpg

photo-1080.jpg

photo-2070.jpg

photo-2317.jpg

photo-1427.jpg

photo-2189.jpg

There was food too!

photo-1381.jpg

photo-1325.jpg

photo-665.jpg

photo-1986.jpg

That's all I got. Neil - is there a way to see yer pix without joining google+? I'm one of those Luddite types. This site is the only thing I've ever joined.

OK - Lemon Ice Box Pie - got this recipe from my aunt Libby. I've been eating this all my life, and if at some point I knew I was fixing to croak, this is what I'd eat:

get a 9x13 pan, turn the oven to 425, put 3 stix of butter in the pan, melt it - don't burn it!

mix together 6 TB of sugar and one of those boxes of graham cracker crumbs - I prefer the Honey Maid, but the Keebler stuff is fine.

Mix the melted butter with the graham cracker crumbs and sugar, pat in pan, brown off in oven - start looking at around 7 minutes.

meanwhile, mix 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk with 7.5 oz frozen lemon juice. I used those bottles of Minute Maid in the frozen section.

photo-2488.jpg

You can use actual lemons if you want, but I tend to keep this as synthetic as possible. :heh:

Pull the crust out of the oven, give it a little time to set - a few minutes, then pour the filling on the crust while still hot. Let it cool a little and stick it in the fridge for a few hours before serving. They're fine made a day ahead.

Anyway - great seeing you farkers and I really do feel fortunate to know y'all - this is a great group of folks right here - fun folks, great cooks, and just a really enjoyable crowd. I look forward to seeing you farkers again!

Tony - we hope y'all can make it next time!

Thank you so much for posting the recipe, we loved it!

I have a Google+ account (don't use it, but have one) and am not able to view the pics either :sad:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back