Head Count for Fall 2014 SoCal Bash Starts Here: Saturday Oct. 11: North Hills/Van Nuys Airport Adjacent

Great photos Bigmista!!!

It's a shame that you didn't get one of your burnt ends, as that might have become my new phone wallpaper... they were that good (9-9-9)

Looks like I actually took one of the beloved burnt ends:

DSC_3061_zps38491e57.jpg

Not that the picture actually does it justice...

Pulled pork and pork tenderloin, bacon fried rice, mac & cheese and that fruit dessert thingee mtbchip brought made for an excellent leftovers dinner tonight.

Tri tip and brisket for lunch tomorrow! :whoo:

I hope you liked the marinade GTR was using.

LOVED the marinade !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pulled pork and pork tenderloin, bacon fried rice, mac & cheese and that fruit dessert thingee mtbchip brought made for an excellent leftovers dinner tonight.

Tri tip and brisket for lunch tomorrow! :whoo:
I had chicken and balls for dinner.

Wish we could have been there later to scoop some leftovers... maybe next time I will have a nap before it starts so I can stay up late like the rest of the cool kids

Oh yeah - bash bite:

Bigmista - "We need to start inviting some people who don't cook."

Good times fo' sure. Thank for having me.

This time I tried to control myself but was still way too full afterwards. Good problem to have.

The camp out sounds like a blast. I don't usually camp (did plenty of that with the Marines) but I would totally make an exception for a Bash. Might even have the lil woman join us. Can't wait. Maybe by spreading this out over a couple days there won't be too much food - ya right.

I finished the brisket, tri-tip, and pulled pork for a quickie dinner tonight. Really busy week at work. I'll post the jalapeno cheese dip recipe tomorrow.

2015 SoCal Camping Bash

I'm having second thoughts about the location of the camping bash for one reason: The elevation of Mt. Pinos in the Los Padres National Forest is in excess of 7,000 feet. I've been acclimated to that for years now, but for those who are not, it could get mightily unpleasant, and potentially dangerous. Altitude sickness is not something to mess around with. Some years back, I took an old friend who is an avid cyclist and one of the fittest humans I know hiking in the San Gabriel mountains at an elevation of a little over 5,000 feet. He barely made it 10 minutes into the hike when we had to turn around. I practically had to carry him out he was so short of breath, and was miserable the rest of the day.

That said, if I know everyone who wants to come has spent a good deal of time in 5,000+ elevation over the last few years at least, then let's do it.

Otherwise, we'll have to come up with an alternate location. I'm planning on looking into Leo Carrillo State beach just north of Malibu that has a nice campground in the canyon with lots of Sycamore trees, and another about 10 minutes north of that with a similar but smaller canyon campground, Point Mugu State park. The upside is both have showers and running water, which Mt. Pinos has neither. The ideal season for both is early-mid spring when everything is nice and green(provided we actually get some meaningful rain this season).

More to follow, and input appreciated...

I'm having second thoughts about the location of the camping bash for one reason: The elevation of Mt. Pinos in the Los Padres National Forest is in excess of 7,000 feet. I've been acclimated to that for years now, but for those who are not, it could get mightily unpleasant, and potentially dangerous. Altitude sickness is not something to mess around with. Some years back, I took an old friend who is an avid cyclist and one of the fittest humans I know hiking in the San Gabriel mountains at an elevation of a little over 5,000 feet. He barely made it 10 minutes into the hike when we had to turn around. I practically had to carry him out he was so short of breath, and was miserable the rest of the day.

That said, if I know everyone who wants to come has spent a good deal of time in 5,000+ elevation over the last few years at least, then let's do it.

Otherwise, we'll have to come up with an alternate location. I'm planning on looking into Leo Carrillo State beach just north of Malibu that has a nice campground in the canyon with lots of Sycamore trees, and another about 10 minutes north of that with a similar but smaller canyon campground, Point Mugu State park. The upside is both have showers and running water, which Mt. Pinos has neither. The ideal season for both is early-mid spring when everything is nice and green(provided we actually get some meaningful rain this season).

More to follow, and input appreciated...

I had looked up that campsite and was thinking the same thing.
The water is a big deal with everyone cooking.
Kids are something to consider as well. I know many of us have children.
Unless your thinking of adults only.

I had looked up that campsite and was thinking the same thing.
The water is a big deal with everyone cooking.
Kids are something to consider as well. I know many of us have children.
Unless your thinking of adults only.

I'm going to see if both campgrounds have a group site(s). If not, it could be problematic community wise if we can't reserve adjacent sites if it's a first come first served situation. More to follow...

Dip Recipe

Sorry this took so long for me to post. Busy week and yesterday was a farker. Oh well, glad you all enjoyed it. Here's the recipe.

Dip:
6 to 8 slices of bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
2 8 oz pkgs of cream cheese, softened
1 cup mayonnaise
6 to 8 jalapenos, chopped and deseeded
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup diced green onion

Topping:
1 cup crushed crackers ( I used Ritz)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 stick of butter melted

Preheat oven, smoker, or grill to 350*

Combine all dip ingredients in a bowl. Stir well. Transfer to a heatproof pan. I use deep foil pans. Combine the topping ingredients and spread over the top of the dip.

Cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.

You can dip chips or veges in it. You can also spread it on fatty biscuits or BBQ sammies. :hungry:

Back