Getting better grilled wings

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
I grill/smoke wings all the time and they're always a hit. But I always feel like there's something missing compared to fried wings. A bit rubbery.

I usually take the wings up to 180-190*.

Anyone have tips or tricks for getting good texture on their wings?

Maybe try a double bake method and let them cool down then transfer to a oven for 10 minutes at 450F to crisp up. They might dry out if you cook them too long on the grill first.

I use the vortex and cook at like 600 degrees. Seems to help with crispness. I've had most people disagree with me but I can cook low and slow in the oven and not get rubbery skin. But if I put them in the smoker at 225 they are rubbery and grilling over direct heat after doesn't seem to help all that much.

My thought is that the fat in the skin just doesn't have time to render when cooking wings low and slow. The meat is done before the skin renders the fat and the skin has no time to crisp.

I've actually done souse vide on wings at 165 for 3 hours then grilled and they were very good. That gave the fat time to render and the skin crisped right up.

I second the vortex - a total game changer for wings and the only way I do them now.

Here's one of MANY vortex wing cooks I've done:

IMG_4251_zpsmiumxwsg.jpg

Cook thread:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263808

Those Vortex wings look amazing. I have always liked them. Do they make the Vortex for the Big Green Egg

I wholeheartedly endorse the Vortex for wings. :-D

It turned my old beat up Weber Kettle into an outstanding wing cooking machine - perfect doneness, and crispy skin.

It works as well on thighs, also.

Last edited:
Curious what makes the vortex a great wing cookin' machine versus doing them over direct coals? Distribute the heat differently?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Curious what makes the vortex a great wing cookin' machine versus doing them over direct coals? Distribute the heat differently?

Thanks for the suggestions!

It’s very easy to burn them over direct heat. The vortex keeps the heat distributed and moving. The wings aren’t over the coals and they don’t burn.

It’s very easy to burn them over direct heat. The vortex keeps the heat distributed and moving. The wings aren’t over the coals and they don’t burn.

The Vortex is high indirect heat all around the wings. You control the smoke with what you put over the coal fire. The wings crisp without burning under direct heat.

Game changer. :-D

Wouldn't taking the plate out of the BGE be pretty darn close?
I love gadgets - my problem is storage. :lol:

Tried that a few times, but when I bought the Vortex for my Weber, there was no turning back.

I love my BGE, but my Weber with the Vortex completely OWNS wings. :-D

Still amazed at smoked wings on the new-ish Ninja Woodfire. 10 minute smoke preheat then 20 minute cook. Generally my own worst critic, but the best wings I ever had.

Are you letting the skin get good and dry by resting them in the fridge uncovered? I also used Malcom Reeds Blue Plate mayo slather which also helped

Back