Kettle Fried Grilled Chicken - the saga continues

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Haven't posted in a little while, the dreaded COVID finally got to me and to my wife, second time for her. I thought I'd skate through this untouched, but....
Anyway, we're both feeling better and it was time to get back to grilling.

Chicken thighs are on the menu tonight. I started these as I normally do, with a dry brine in the fridge, uncovered, overnight. This morning I dusted them with seasoned rice flour and corn starch, again letting them sit for a while.

I decided today's experiment for breading would be a mix of crushed Corn Chex and Cornmeal. I dipped each piece into an egg wash, then into the corn mixture. Let 'em sit while the Weber was coming up to temp -

ZNo1xR7.jpg

On to the Weber they go, at high heat, indirect -

7r4lf5R.jpg

A spritz of EVOO at 20 minutes and a careful turn to keep the breading intact, then another EVOO spritz at 40 minutes and they're looking pretty good -

T8L3MqK.jpg

fKXgVoS.jpg

After 50 minutes, they're ready to come off the Weber -

v71DH17.jpg

Plated shots -

HvkGbw6.jpg

AnSg9af.jpg

HN6jcGX.jpg

f0bmtnt.jpg

These have quite the crispiness to them and turned out exactly as I had hoped. Now if I'd remembered to make some sides with them we'd be all set. :mrgreen: But there's nothing wrong with chicken on its own!

I know many folks use corn flakes for these but since all I had on hand was Corn Chex, I went with it. MSU rules at my house.

Thanks for putting up with all these Kettle Fried Grilled Chicken posts, but a grill master needs to experiment and have some fun.

Regards,
-lunchman

Excellent looking thighs! I hope you both had your taste buds at 100% because they look like they were packed with flavor!

Excellent looking thighs! I hope you both had your taste buds at 100% because they look like they were packed with flavor!

Ron, they looked really great and they were incredibly crispy. So I've got that part down. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I was thinking when I was prepping these and should have added all sorts of seasoning. They were quite bland - a 1 on a 10 scale. :cry: Now I know why the Colonel made up his secret blend of herbs and seasonings.

So that will be the next challenge - to experiment with an array of seasonings to ensure these taste as good as they look. Today wasn't that day and ya can't win 'em all.

-Dom

Those look great. I will want to try those.

Btw , the colonel charged us $56 for a 16 piece bucket in Peoria IL a week or so ago.
I am still in shock over it.

I had a major turkey fail air drying in the fridge, so I’m gonna have to do this on the sly to get it past the Mrs.

Welcome back Dom! Great to hear you guys are better. Killer as usual. You've got grill fried down to science.

Those look great. I will want to try those.

Btw , the colonel charged us $56 for a 16 piece bucket in Peoria IL a week or so ago.
I am still in shock over it.

I had a major turkey fail air drying in the fridge, so I’m gonna have to do this on the sly to get it past the Mrs.

You should have imposed on BuffetFan :grin:

Thanks for taking us along on your kettle fried chicken journey. Sounds like a bit of covid brain fog (ya blame it on that) on forgetting seasonings and sides. It sure does look good though!

Glad to hear that you and your bride made it thru the 'rona. Looks like it didn't hurt you fried chicken skills one bit.

Im surprised. That turned out great. I wasn't expecting it to turn out that good. Do you have a pull apart pic?

Im surprised. That turned out great. I wasn't expecting it to turn out that good. Do you have a pull apart pic?

Thanks. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics. I was so bummed by the flavor. They were quite juicy though. Thighs can be grilled at much higher heat, my thermo was over 450F. I pulled them off the grill around 175-180 internal temp.

Next time I'll work on spices. I think I still have a Moose recipe for a chicken rub that should work. I also need a more foolproof method to keep the breading better adhered. Maybe buttermilk or mayo?

Ron, they looked really great and they were incredibly crispy. So I've got that part down. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I was thinking when I was prepping these and should have added all sorts of seasoning. They were quite bland - a 1 on a 10 scale. :cry: Now I know why the Colonel made up his secret blend of herbs and seasonings.

So that will be the next challenge - to experiment with an array of seasonings to ensure these taste as good as they look. Today wasn't that day and ya can't win 'em all.

-Dom
Looks great. Sorry the taste fell flat. Glad you and the Ms made it through the bug.

The Colonel's secret recipe: Still the best fried chicken I've had. Popeye's, Church's, Chicken Shack, etc don't come close. There's a town called Frankenmuth about 80 miles north of here that's renowned for their fried chicken restaurants. Good, but don't come close either.

Looking forward to your experiment and eventual recipe.

Back