Getting better grilled wings

There's a popular dive seafood restaurant in St. Pete that smokes wings in their big offset then deep fries them for a short dunk when ordered to crisp the skin.

They will sauce them after that if you want with a variety of sauces to choose from, or leave plain smoked and fried.

They have quite the following and people swear the best wings they've ever had. :noidea:

I'm gonna try it next time I fire up the smoker.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x88c2e18601b1a787%3A0x9b2e8460d54f8477!3m1!7e115!5sGoogle%20Search!15sCgIgAQ&hl=en&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNefD4XZpGx2aldvz5YtWlsZ5LlyT24vZ4JueTg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi8q-PikdT9AhVESjABHVvDAxoQ9fkHKAB6BQgBEIQB

Last edited:
I've had good results by drying my wings with paper towel then tossing them with just a touch of oil, rub, and baking powder. I let them dry open air on a rack in the fridge for a few hours. Apparently, the baking powder affects the PH of the skins something science-y blah blah blah. I just know it's worked well for me.

I've heard of the baking powder thing too. I tried it once and maybe I used too much but I didn't like the taste.

On another note, if you use a vortex don't use any oil on the wings. I found that when I used oil as a binder, it drips off and catches fire. No bueno.

I’ve used the air fryer on smoked wings with good results. They were even better in peanut oil. But normally use the air fry as it’s easier to clean up

seems a common element to the great wings is air movement while cooking. We got good results in the SP SRG-400, which has great air flow/convection, at 225-250 degrees. If the skin is not crispy enough or if you have left overs to reheat, an oven broiler will crisp them up pretty quickly. I also brine wings before smoking

Still amazed at smoked wings on the new-ish Ninja Woodfire. 10 minute smoke preheat then 20 minute cook. Generally my own worst critic, but the best wings I ever had.

Looks like somebody ate all the drummies before you took the pic. :mrgreen:

You have to get aluminum-free baking powder. I forget which brands that would be.

Yup, I know that. But to be honest I can't recall if I knew that when I did it. So maybe that was my problem. I do know they usually say pretty clearly on the label if its aluminum free.

I have a rotisserie basket for the Wolf gas grille.

We buy frozen Costco wings and I put them directly into the basket from the freezer. Turn on the infrared burner and as it spins, season the wings with either Seasonal or Heath Riles Garlic Butter and let it go!

They come out amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_5552.jpg
    IMG_5552.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I don’t know what the vortex is but I can say that after cooking lots of wings on the grill over the years i have discovered hot and fast is the key. Don’t matter if you’re cooking direct, indirect, smoking, grilling, air frying, whatever. Everything except baking. You just gotta keep a close eye on them if you’re cooking direct and Keep flipping em. You can season any way you want. I’ve done mustard slather, spritz, lots of experiments. Smoked then fried. Good but not worth the extra work unless ur frying on a different day. It’s the heat that matters most. If they are dry when they hit the grill, they crisp better but I have cooked straight from frozen before with good results. Rinsed them a few time with vinegar and water and seasoned as they cook with great results. But this ain’t a drink beer take a nap kinda Cook. Gotta stay on your A the whole time and they will come out great !

Attachments

• EABE0749-8010-4527-BCFA-1E860D9DD0F9.jpg
    EABE0749-8010-4527-BCFA-1E860D9DD0F9.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 57
  • B976C8EE-606B-4AA0-91B8-BD9FFEF830CF.jpg
    B976C8EE-606B-4AA0-91B8-BD9FFEF830CF.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 57
I don’t know what the vortex is but I can say that after cooking lots of wings on the grill over the years i have discovered hot and fast is the key. Don’t matter if you’re cooking direct, indirect, smoking, grilling, air frying, whatever. Everything except baking. You just gotta keep a close eye on them if you’re cooking direct and Keep flipping em. You can season any way you want. I’ve done mustard slather, spritz, lots of experiments. Smoked then fried. Good but not worth the extra work unless ur frying on a different day. It’s the heat that matters most. If they are dry when they hit the grill, they crisp better but I have cooked straight from frozen before with good results. Rinsed them a few time with vinegar and water and seasoned as they cook with great results. But this ain’t a drink beer take a nap kinda Cook. Gotta stay on your A the whole time and they will come out great !

Agreed....don't walk away or you'll be sorry. As long as I have a big enough charcoal bed, I clamp them in a grill basket so you can flip them all at once.

Just make sure your coal bed is big enough to evenly heat all parts of the basket so the edges get done at the same time as the center.

Yours look great!

I have a rotisserie basket for the Wolf gas grille.

We buy frozen Costco wings and I put them directly into the basket from the freezer. Turn on the infrared burner and as it spins, season the wings with either Seasonal or Heath Riles Garlic Butter and let it go!

They come out amazing!

That's about as easy as it gets! Way to find a handy use of one of your toys.

Back