Pork belly burnt ends and smoked wings

daveca83

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Dave
I decided this weekend to smoke some pork belly burnt ends. When I went to pick them up, there was an offer on with wings so i couldn't really say no! There's always more room on the smoker after all. It would be a fun challenge to aim for that all too rare crispy skin/smoked wing combo.

I coated the pork in a homemade paprika/cayenne based rub and smoked them for about 250-260F for two and a bit hours. Once they had a bark, I put them into a foil tray and added butter, honey, Reds BBQ sauce, hot sauce and brown sugar. I covered the tray and put them back on for an hour.

I had added salt to the wings and covered them in paper towel to try and dry them. I then put them on the smoker at about 280F for 45 minutes. I could see the skin was going a little crisp, and managed to get the heat up a bit higher to finish them off for the last 20 minutes.

The pork bites were so, so, so good! Melt in your mouth and the sauce in the foil made them sticky sweet. The wings were not as crisp as if they were fried, but they had a good bite to them and I avoided the rubbery skin that sometimes happens when you smoke wings, there were certainly no complaints!

All in all a fun day cookin', a great meal and happy eaters all round!

Last edited:
Back