Cheap Blackstone Pizza Oven Replacement?

Fishwater2002

Full Fledged Farker
For years I have been kicking myself for not buying the infamous Blackstone pizza oven. I have a distinct memory of everyone mentioning the closeout here but passed, worst idea ever on my part.

Anyway, I'm looking for something similar that's propane powered & will do multiple pies quickly. I have a kettle set up but I'm looking for something different that I can fire up quickly over the winter on a weekend night. Trying to keep the purchase price under $500

Can't beat the Blackstone and still have mine going strong on 8 years. Didn't think they'd discontinue so I passed on a second one from a brethren new in box for $100. :doh: So I get you.

I will however highly recommend the Roccbox. I did a detailed review for the brethren when I picked one up. It details why I went with Roccbox vs Ooni. It's right at $500 with the gas attachment and comes with everything you need to get started. One huge plus with the Roccbox is you can do back to back pizzas and you don't have to wait to recover the heat.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296468

I was surprised to see an Ooni oven at Lowe's yesterday. I think these were charcoal fired though, don't know if they're carrying other models.

My wife was shaking her head. I assured her a pizza oven was not on my list (famous last words).

Just speaking generically here, any oven that can get temps above 600 degrees is going to produce better pizza than a home oven(with the exception of pan type pizzas that are best suited to a home oven).

Something special happens to dough when it hits a stone that is above 600 degrees that you won't get in a home oven cooking at 500 or so degrees. I'd go as far to say that something special happens to the entire pizza at 600 degrees or hotter.

That said, if you're thinking about or on the fence regarding buying a pizza oven based on the recommendations here, DO IT!

Thanks for all the encouragement, I'm definitely getting one, just have to decide which one! Still researching but decided on propane since I have the Only Fire pizza oven for my kettle, have the Summit Kamado as well for wood fired pizza so I need something quick & easy for the random Friday night pizza craving. We make multiple pies so I'm thinking it also needs quick recovery like Sako pointed out with the Roccbox.

Anyone see this one yet? Halo Versa 16, spinning table like the Blackstone with two burners....

https://halo-pg.com/product/versa-16-outdoor-pizza-oven/

I've seen that and keeps popping up on my social media feeds. Looks pretty good and is priced decent for the size since it's 16". Seems fairly new so IMHO it's a gamble against well established Ooni and Roccbox. The rotating stone is definitely a huge plus. If the build quality is there it is def worth it. No mention of warranty unless I missed it.

Just found the specs and judging by the weight it seems pretty solid. The warranty is 5 years which is also great. Only bummer I see so far is the motor for the rotating stone is battery powered. It's dual burner with a back burner and an infrared burner under the rotating stone. Both burners are operated by a single knob.

Last edited:
Anyone see this one yet? Halo Versa 16, spinning table like the Blackstone with two burners....

https://halo-pg.com/product/versa-16-outdoor-pizza-oven/

They are being discussed on pizza making forum.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=71943.200

There is a poster named Essen 1 who has a connection to the company.
He's been giving some great info.

Such as:
"You are correct in that the stone is cordierite. I am communicating with our Head of Product and R&D Manager ...
I asked about what thermal shock testing had been done and got this response, “Testing included pre-heated oven (stone temp 550-600F) receiving frozen pizzas onto the pizza stone with no damage from the thermal shock to the pizza stone.”

But, part of our testing process included the unit being ran on high with stone rotation motor on for 8 hours per day for 6 straight days. So 48 hours of cooking time in a single week and no evidence of any effect to the unit’s normal performance.
"

It looks like they are just starting to ship.

It states that the motor has a D cell option. I would ask if it can run on 120 volt also. Is it a standard rotisserie motor like the Blackstone?

It states that the motor has a D cell option. I would ask if it can run on 120 volt also. Is it a standard rotisserie motor like the Blackstone?

Don't think it runs on anything but two d-cell batteries neighbor. Watched some videos and the bottom lip of the oven opening sits higher than the rotating stone. May be an issue to launch pies at an angle/gradient like that especially for someone new getting into pizza making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1CmCxPB84A

According to the website: "The Versa 16 Pizza Oven’s DC motor can be powered by AC adapter, or 2 D batteries, meaning that you can have access to a 950°F Pizza oven completely untethered, anytime, anywhere. The battery-operated motor turns the Pizza Stone during the cooking process, ensuring your pizza or other foods are perfectly cooked, without any extra effort."

But how much you wanna bet it's using an ancient wall wart. Come on people, it's 2022. USB-C!

I find it odd that so many years ago I'd get shamed for my gas grill. Which I still use and still love.

Then the pellet grills came about, and there's a bit of teasing about 'those pelletheads' and how it's cheating, a little.

But then the pizza guys all use propane. Meanwhile, I'm over here using a Kettlepizza on my charcoal Weber and burning the **** out of my crusts and having raw tops. I just got a pizza book and have a new steel I'm going to try out. I am determined!

But maybe I should just buy a gasser and enjoy the ride!

Boy, this is a rabbit hole I didn't plan on going down today! I believe the Halo may be the next gadget in my arsenal, LOL......

Gonna let the Gen 1 get out there a bit first though. I'm nervous post Weber Dumpster Fire!

The halo is what I would be getting if looking for a small pizza oven that wasn’t a wood burning oven. Thing is slick and the infrared bottom burner with the regular tube burner in the back look good. Seems like it would be easy to use (I used to have a blackstone and while good, it had many weaknesses imo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back