Brisket price in your area?

This was at Costco this afternoon.

24377405284_441063fb1b_z.jpg

They also had a 20lber and a 16 lber in the case. There were probably more in the back but they were insanely busy and I already have three in the freezer.

How are brands different.

Them cows aint stamped Excel by the farmer

Brands are set by the USDA. They are the ones who tell the brand. period. They have a criteria for the selection of the animal. so yes brands are different. some of the experienced ranchers will tell what the animal is before it is even bought. But USDA put something called program where age, breed, feed type, fat type dist. are used for selection. This is called Brand program. Like Sterling Silver for example. Excel, even though has lax criteria is still a brand of Tyson. National beef , ibp, swift are very bad. A matter of fact i avoid swift in both beef and pork. Prairiefresh is good for pork. In Prairiefresh pork ribs, the meat will melt from the bones when done the right way $3.10/Ib for loin bone in in my area.

Kurobuta Berkshire pork belly if you need to make your own bacon at $12/Ib. can be considered a brand.

for complete list of brands and selection criteria, you can find them in USDA website

Brands are set by the USDA. They are the ones who tell the brand. period. They have a criteria for the selection of the animal. so yes brands are different. some of the experienced ranchers will tell what the animal is before it is even bought. But USDA put something called program where age, breed, feed type, fat type dist. are used for selection. This is called Brand program. Like Sterling Silver for example. Excel, even though has lax criteria is still a brand of Tyson. National beef , ibp, swift are very bad. A matter of fact i avoid swift in both beef and pork. Prairiefresh is good for pork. In Prairiefresh pork ribs, the meat will melt from the bones when done the right way $3.10/Ib for loin bone in in my area.

Kurobuta Berkshire pork belly if you need to make your own bacon at $12/Ib. can be considered a brand.

for complete list of brands and selection criteria, you can find them in USDA website

Interesting

Here's the site

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdamobile?navid=SITE_MAP

Cant find the list

Here are some of the criteria

Animal:
Phenotype
Genotype
Other
Carcass:
Carcass Characteristics
U.S. Prime
U.S. Choice
U.S. Select
U.S. Standard
U.S. Utility and Commercial
Maturity
Marbling score requirement
Medium or fine marbling texture
Yield grade
Ribeye area (square inches)
Hot carcass weight (pounds)
Fat thickness (inches)
Minimum muscling requirement
Carcass class (type)
Capillary rupture in ribeye muscle
Free of dark cutting characteristics
Max hump height (≤ 2 inches

Please there are more reading on the topic, that can be found in old posts in this forum and in other forums

Sorry, but Swift and Excel are both Tyson brand.

Prairiefresh is a Seaboard brand.

Kurobuta Berkshire is a breed not a brand.

I cant find your statements in these links

if with all these links and keywords, you can not know the brand programs of different companies, then there is nothing more i can do. please move on an refrain from chasing my posts. thanks.

if with all these links and keywords, you can not know the brand programs of different companies, then there is nothing more i can do. please move on an refrain from chasing my posts. thanks.

You make alot of bold statement. either prove them or stop miss informing people

Out here it's a crap shoot. Depending when i hit a place it can be as low as $2.99/lb to as high as $7.75/lb. On average I can get brisket for $3.98/lb for a full packer untrimmed, provided I order from the farmers market a week ahead of time, and that's sight unseen.

On the high end if I take a hour plus ride east of me I can have it right off the cow hanging from the hook at around $7/lb.

You make alot of bold statement. either prove them or stop miss informing people

There are NO bold statements. USDA Brand programs are well known in the industry since the 50s. If you did not know about them and you are not interested in reading, then there is nothing I can do. I already put the links to you anD others in this forum.

HERE IS A LINK FORM OLD POSTS IN THIS FORUM

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-20407.html

there are other forums that discussed the topic. like this one

http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=26204

Now please move on and stop stalking posts

Sorry, but Swift and Excel are both Tyson brand.

Prairiefresh is a Seaboard brand.

Kurobuta Berkshire is a breed not a brand.

Agree. However, they became only Tyson brands after Tyson bought the parents companies in Kansas.

By the way breed as I wrote is sometimes can be considered a Brand. Like Wagyu Kobe and Kurobuta Berkshire

No one is "chasing" or stalking your posts. Relax.

Ninja is asking the same questions I had when I read your post about the USDA setting the brands. The USDA inspects the meat and sets criteria for different grades, but the brand is owned by the producer, Tyson in the case of Excel and Swift. The USDA has nothing to do with the brand beyond setting industry criteria and inspection.

No one is "chasing" or stalking your posts. Relax.

The USDA has nothing to do with the brand beyond setting industry criteria and inspection.

With all my respect, criteria of the program must be met before branding. They are always on the floors of major slaughterhouses and they do not do just grading. :grin:. There is an application process for the Brand Programs and for it to be continued or discontinued by a company. Inspection goes beyond marbling grade to other aspects and recently "Tenderness" grading program was introduced.

Anyway, from my experience US beef is the best in the world. At least we do not have to worry about donkey's and horse meat being on the shelf like customers in Europe and Britain. USDA is the best organization in beef inspection and has some of the best criteria and US beef is the best. :grin:

I know several guys on this board raise cattle. Id like to know if any of them can tell the difference between a swift and an ibp cow.

if they are really experienced, they will tell about the breed, phenotype, fat distribution (there are hundreds of diagrams and pictures on line that shows this ), the type of feed, age , history of the ranch in providing prime grade.
That's how the old way of trading cattle used to happen in Chicago before they closed some of the rings. Then once the criteria matches, they will look at the carcass for more criteria. That's why 1855 is difficult to get. I pay extra $1-2for the pound of choice and $5-9 for PRIME of that brand. Also Niman Ranch is very good.

please see attached

http://1855beef.com/black-angus-beef-products/

I will try to post a picture later for some of the beef steaks I am getting right now.

if they are really experienced, they will tell about the breed, phenotype, fat distribution (there are hundreds of diagrams and pictures on line that shows this ), the type of feed, age , history of the ranch in providing prime grade.
That's how the old way of trading cattle used to happen in Chicago before they closed some of the rings. Then once the criteria matches, they will look at the carcass for more criteria. That's why 1855 is difficult to get. I pay extra $1-2for the pound of choice and $5-9 for PRIME of that brand. Also Niman Ranch is very good.

please see attached

http://1855beef.com/black-angus-beef-products/

I will try to post a picture later for some of the beef steaks I am getting right now.

With all due respect, the reason it's difficult to get is because other slaughter houses have/will also sell to other"brand" programs with the same criteria, ie..CAB Brand https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/products.php

I can remember someone telling me that over 75% of all US cattle will qualify as an Angus. It only needs to be 51% black and less than a 2" hump.:shock:

^^^^yea through what i read yesterday a company decides what their brand standard is than gets it certified. Once certified any carcass meeting the criteria qualifies for that brand. Many brands have similar standards so a particular cow can qualify under multiple brands. Brisket is still not individually graded so as always there will be variation among different grades. A restaurant bying cases will benifit more from an overall high quality. Me, buying only 1-2 briskets at a time can hand pick the best of any reasonable brand

Back