Why Brisket Too Dam High, and a Thank You

I will Admit, I havent been to Sam's in about 6 months when i picked up a prime Brisket for $4.78/lb but they had Prime ribeyes for $12-$13/lb. I usually only go when i need meat, so next time i will check prices, and you are probably right its up $5/lb. Inflation is getting crazy. I am about to turn my 1 acre yard into a farm. lol

I know nothing about raising a cow. But im willing to learn.

First buy a cow, put in a fenced area, let it eat grass, when full cut apart and eat.
Ed

P.S. I'm from Iowa and I know things.

We get our steaks at Aldi's. The last time we went, Ribeye went up but I think they were still only $13.99/lb. They are vacuum-sealed and always good.

True if we're talking about Outback steakhouse. Probably a sirloin steak though. Never seen a $5 ribeye.

Please advise as to where to make my purchase, I will buy by the hundred pound, my food budget would thank you :biggrin1:

Lots of grocery stores run sales on ribeye's, Porterhouse, and T-Bones for like $6.99/lb. I think they call those sales loss leaders, just to get people in the store. You just have to check weekly flyers.

Usually come in a 3 pack ( family pack ) for around $15-$18 , so $5 - $6 per Ribeye.

I grill 1-1/2” thick prime grade ribeye steaks on a regular basis and the local butcher charges about $17 per pound.

I couldn’t imagine it being $5 per pound anywhere near me. [Update]. My wife just told me that ShopRite has sales at around $5/lb. but it isn’t as good as the prime stuff from the butcher.

Last edited:
I grill 1-1/2” thick prime grade ribeye steaks on a regular basis and the local butcher charges about $17 per pound.

I couldn’t imagine it being $5 per pound anywhere near me. [Update]. My wife just told me that ShopRite has sales at around $5/lb. but it isn’t as good as the prime stuff from the butcher.

I never said they were "Prime". They are choice, but for $5.99-$6.99/lb i am not complaining. I usually do a Montreal steak marinade that is mouth watering. If you want to try it, its:
20g McCormick Montreal Seasoning
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 TBSP white wine vinegar or white distilled vinegar
(Optional) 1/2 tsp hickory smoked sea salt ( you could also use a 1/4 tsp of hickory liquid smoke ) but i prefer smoked salt.

Marinate for 1-4 hours.

Last edited:
I have thought a few times about splitting a chuck roast (thickness) and cooking it like a steak. Don’t know if it would work or not. That would get me in the $6 range.

I have thought a few times about splitting a chuck roast (thickness) and cooking it like a steak. Don’t know if it would work or not. That would get me in the $6 range.

they sell chuckeye steaks at our Meijer. some of them look rough but some that are cut from the rib side of the chuck look close to ribeyes. bit of fat and gristle to eat around but can't beat the value

Chuck eyes are great steaks, can’t get them here anymore for some reason, I’m wondering about the feast of the chuck roast.

Prolly gonna have to find out for myself

I like Chuck steaks, full bone in has become rare though. If you get the 1st cut, next to the rib eye you can have a good steak....Chuck roasts are just thick cut boneless chuck steaks, split it for a steak works fine.... Local Lidle has them for 7.99 per pound, Too much for chuck for me...

Back