Smoking a Ribeye Roast...

mjr

Knows what a fatty is.
Ok, I'm smoking a ribeye Roast for Christmas (found one on sale).

Anyway, how long per pound? Do I take the "brisket" approach and go an hour or so per pound? I think it's 10 pounds or so.

Also what chamber temperature and to what temperature should I cook it?

Also, Texas Crutch? if so, at what temp?

I think I know what sort of rub/seasoning I want to put on it, but wanted to ask the above.

It's not like a brisket. Smoking for 10 hours would turn it into a fine doorstop or wheel chock.

Have only smoked ribeye roasts on the rotisserie. Let sit out at room temp for 5-6 hours. Medium-hot fire (350-ish) and a couple wood chunks (cherry is my preference). Forget how long they take...maybe 2-2.5 hours. Check temp with a thermapen every 15 minutes after an hour until it hits 120-125 internal.

That said, I'm sure others here can give you better advice.

Last edited:
You're looking at 5-ish hours to get to 120-ish, depending on your smoker temp - I do 225. Then take it off and ramp up to 400-ish for the reverse sear to get a nice crust on it, probably another 30min at least. In the absence of a plan - montreal is wonderful on prime. Chimichurri sauce goes great on it as well....

Edit: I use thermometers - not time/temp, thus all the ish. It's never the same cook twice.

Imho prime rib is expensive, so daunting, but pretty easy to make. Salt over night, then add other seasonings before starting up the smoker. I smoke at 250 until internal temp of 120 then pull it and get a fire going to sear on. Works for me :)

I do prime rib at 225F and figure on 30-35 minutes per pound to get to 115-120 internal temp. We like it rare, so watch internal temp when it gets close.

Salt and pepper.Cook at 250 cooker temp. When it hits 120-125 internal,pull it.Rest for at least 20 minutes and serve the best Prime Rib in the Hood!

Ditto Smoked&Baked. Simple and perfect every time.

And a plus1 on using thermometers…gotta use a thermometer. Just gotta…

Seasoning of your choice. 225 degrees with hickory or pecan, but prefer hickory for prime rib. Cook until 120 internal. Takes about 5 hours for a 5-6 pound roast to finish. No sear at any point and have perfect doneness from edge to edge.

I have never tried using the rotisserie. I'm cooking on something similar to the Hasty Bake Roughneck.

Seasoning of your choice. 225 degrees with hickory or pecan, but prefer hickory for prime rib. Cook until 120 internal. Takes about 5 hours for a 5-6 pound roast to finish. No sear at any point and have perfect doneness from edge to edge.

I have never tried using the rotisserie. I'm cooking on a 26 year old Jedmaster Grill that is no longer made (somewhat similar to the Hasty Bake Roughneck).

I just did a 4lb'r on the Weber kettle using the rotisserie.
I shot for 350* and used oak chips.
It took about 2 1/2 hours. I pulled it at 120ish and let it rest about 90 minutes.
Mustard slather with Meat Church Holy Cow rub.
No complaints from me or my wife.

Attachments

• 20231220_162955.jpg
    20231220_162955.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 20231220_163523.jpg
    20231220_163523.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 20231220_180736.jpg
    20231220_180736.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 144
Tad bit late, but posting this for others to see and understand.

Cook time for Prime Rib is NOT based on weight. "X mins per lb" is a set up for lots of problems.

There are a few things that do go into determining cook time, WEIGHT isn't really one of them.

What does factor in ?
  • Meat temp when it goes into the smoker.
  • Desired internal temp for when you want to pull the meat.
  • Humidity (wet/dry chamber), Altitude (for those in the mountains)
  • Chamber temp
  • and lastly, THICKNESS.

Say that you go into the store and there are two 20lb whole ribeyes that are exact clones of each other. Both 20 lbs, both the same width, length and height.

You buy them both and bring them home. One, you leave whole. The other, you split into a 12lb and an 8lb roast.

If all other variables are held constant, those three roasts will each take the same approximately amount of time to cook. Why ? Because reducing the weight of the roast by shortening the length didn't reduce the thickness. The only exception would be if you sliced off a little 2lb "roast" whose width was now less than it's height.

Simple way to visualize. Picture some 1/4lb foot long hot dogs. Say you cut one into 8 and 4 inches and you throw both on a grill or into an oven. Will the 4 inch one cook faster than the 8 inch one ? Nope. Why not ? Because all 3 are still the same thickness and the heat will travel that distance the fastest.

Here's a better and more thorough explanation about it.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...cooking-science/what-influences-cooking-time/

Back