Why Brisket Too Dam High, and a Thank You

One of the easier parts of the BBQ business is the cooking/recipe.

Running a profitable business is the hard part and rising prices is a big deal. as bob said, it brings other cuts of meat into the discussion and brisket may not be worth the effort if better cuts cost less. There are a multitude of other complicating issues, but "cost of materials" is a big one.

One of the easier parts of the BBQ business is the cooking/recipe.

Running a profitable business is the hard part and rising prices is a big deal. as bob said, it brings other cuts of meat into the discussion and brisket may not be worth the effort if better cuts cost less. There are a multitude of other complicating issues, but "cost of materials" is a big one.

I’ve heard several people I know with successful business say that taking courses on how to run a business is the best thing they ever did. You can be very proficient in whatever you are selling but if you don’t know how to run a business you will probably fail.

I’ve heard several people I know with successful business say that taking courses on how to run a business is the best thing they ever did. You can be very proficient in whatever you are selling but if you don’t know how to run a business you will probably fail.

You are right on with that observation Shadowdog! Although being able to cook a good consistent products is essential to having customers in any type of restaurant business, the most important thing to having a business stay in operation is having a business plan and possessing good business skills.

I have posted this before, but I will say it again. Let's say 100 restaurants open up on January 1. By the end of the year, only 10 are still in business. At the end of the following year, only 5 of the original 100 restaurants are still in business. Not a very high rate of success. When people ask me why I never opened my own restaurant, I tell them this:

How do you wind up with a million dollars in the BBQ restaurant business? You start out with TWO million dollars!

There are several BBQ restaurants in the KC area that quit selling brisket a few years ago, They posted signs in their businesses informing customers that due to the higher price of brisket, they would have to charge a price to their customers that they could not afford or would not want to pay.

Every once in a while I'll find brisket point in the Yellow Tag bin. I've never found a yellow tag full packer, and I've no Interest in just the flat. What I do find quite often are prime steaks. The steaks they have in display in the butchers case. Picked up this 16oz prime ribeye today. There were 4, took one. Regular bin had BOGO st Louis cut spares so picked up two racks for $11. Manager special on jalapeno poppers. Halves , cream cheese and bacon wrapped. Guessing 15+ for $5.

Anyway recently trying to find YT Brisket point I've managed to load freezers with steak, ribs (pork and beef) and burger. Seldom do I purchase YT pork, chicken nor fish.

Full disclosure, a couple walk ins lately revealed completely bare YT Bins.

Last edited:
Every once in a while I'll find brisket point in the Yellow Tag bin. I've never found a yellow tag full packer, and I've no Interest in just the flat. What I do find quite often are prime steaks. The steaks they have in display in the butchers case. Picked up this 16oz prime ribeye today. There were 4, took one. Regular bin had BOGO st Louis cut spares so picked up two racks for $11. Manager special on jalapeno poppers. Halves , cream cheese and bacon wrapped. Guessing 15+ for $5.

Anyway recently trying to find YT Brisket point I've managed to load freezers with steak, ribs (pork and beef) and burger. Seldom do I purchase YT pork, chicken nor fish.

Full disclosure, a couple walk ins lately revealed completely bare YT Bins.

That's actually a worse price for Prime Ribeye in my area. Sams usually has Prime Ribeye for your yellow tag price. But i don't buy, I go for choice on sale for $6.99/lb

Just for reference I checked a well reviewed highly rated Steakhouse nearby

16oz prime ribeye $46,

Just for reference I checked a well reviewed highly rated Steakhouse nearby

16oz prime ribeye $46,

Thats insane. I can cook a mouth watering choice ribeye for $5 theres no way i could go to a steakhouse and pay $50 for the same $5 steak.

That's actually a worse price for Prime Ribeye in my area. Sams usually has Prime Ribeye for your yellow tag price. But i don't buy, I go for choice on sale for $6.99/lb

Just checked nearest Sam's club. USDA Prime Ribeye $17.48 per pound and packaged 2-4. No singles

Thats insane. I can cook a mouth watering choice ribeye for $5 theres no way i could go to a steakhouse and pay $50 for the same $5 steak.

Friend of mine and his wife went there to celebrate a birthday. Bill for two north of $260

Just checked nearest Sam's club. USDA Prime Ribeye $17.48 per pound and packaged 2-4. No singles

I will Admit, I havent been to Sam's in about 6 months when i picked up a prime Brisket for $4.78/lb but they had Prime ribeyes for $12-$13/lb. I usually only go when i need meat, so next time i will check prices, and you are probably right its up $5/lb. Inflation is getting crazy. I am about to turn my 1 acre yard into a farm. lol

I know nothing about raising a cow. But im willing to learn.

True if we're talking about Outback steakhouse. Probably a sirloin steak though. Never seen a $5 ribeye.

Beef cheeks, oxtail, lingua, shanks (beef and pork), ribs- dinosaur -short and back shiners and of course steak cuts have entered the chat.

Beef Cheek and Ox Tail are $25 to $28 Aussie Peso's a Kilo here. There is simply NO cheap cut of beef anymore.

Beef Cheek and Ox Tail are $25 to $28 Aussie Peso's a Kilo here. There is simply NO cheap cut of beef anymore.

Just looked at Sam's Club online, in stock usd$

Beef cheek $3.98#
Oxtail $6.98

Packages run around $30 each, cheeks if trimmed, not much. Which isn't bad thing as the cheeks sit atop their own barrier direct heat in drum.

The nice thing these two cuts always seem to be available here as well as tongue, calf fries etc.

So if a kilo is about 2.2 pounds y'all are close to twice as high in price??

Last edited:
Another thing about Sam's packages are huge. 2-4 20 oz steaks, 5-8 beef cheeks, guessing 6-8 oxtails per package. Tenderloin tails two per package, tender loin whole to cuts of four. About the only singles that come to mind are rotisserie chicken and Tomahawks. Even chuck roast are two per package.

So while price per pound is decent you have to buy packages weighing several pounds

Last edited:

Please advise as to where to make my purchase, I will buy by the hundred pound, my food budget would thank you :biggrin1:

Please advise as to where to make my purchase, I will buy by the hundred pound, my food budget would thank you :biggrin1:

Perhaps that is the 40 ribeye 40 bucks refrigerated truck with awning that sets up in abandoned Payless Shoes lots. I never have but seems to be a line when they pop up. Heard they're same as restaurant breakfast mini steaks or Dollar Tree thins.

Last edited:
Perhaps that is the 40 ribeye 40 bucks refrigerated truck with awning that sets up in abandoned Payless Shoes lots. I never have but seems to be a line when they pop up. Heard they're same as restaurant breakfast mini steaks or Dollar Tree thins.

Ask the truck guy to see his city sales permit, it's fun watching him unpitch his tent an stuff!
Ed

Back