What is a first cut brisket?

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
I was checking out the flyer for the Price Chopper store in the KC area. The ad listed a Meal Mart First Cut Beef Brisket (Kosher) for $14.99 per pound. This is the sale price as the ad states you are saving $2.00 per pound. I have never heard of this cut of brisket before. But I am not a brisket expert as I have never seen a bone-in brisket either. The page on the ad indicates that some of the other items are Kosher. I am guessing these items are geared for people of the Jewish religion who are about celebrate Chanukah.

Can someone explain to me what a first cut brisket is and why it so expensive? Is the reason for the price due to the cut itself? I suppose some of the added expense to the price might be due to meat going through the process of making it and assuring it is Kosher.

Here is the link to the Price Chopper ad:

https://www.theweeklyad.com/pricechopper-weekly-ad/6/

Thanks for the replies, Ron, David and Flatbroke.

Ron, I should have mentioned in my post that I did read that link, but I was hoping to get more details on the naming of the cut. The only descriptor term I have ever heard for the flat was the flat. I have heard the point being referred to as the deckle. I was curious as to where the terms first and second cut came from and how long those terms have been around. I have never heard those descriptors heard before.

David, Usually Price Chopper has the better deals on meat and they have good quality meats. When briskets are on sale they are around 4 bucks a pound. But 15 bucks per pound is outrageous.

Flatbroke, Maybe being Kosher has something to do with the higher price.

I will be stopping by the Price Chopper store this weekend and have a chat with one of the butchers. I will ask these same questions and report back with what they told me.

Every time I've heard or read "first cut" it was referring to the flat, and seemed to imply that it was preferred over the point since it was leaner and made nicer slices.

My Grandfather called the point the nose, which I rarely hear anymore. This was because the point is the forward end when it's on the steer.

When you are chatting with the butcher, ask him about left hand briskets. Hehehee.

YJX0bwS.jpg

Left handed briskets? That is another blast from the past, Wayne. That tale by Shingleman was one of the best late night BBQ contest stories ever told! It ranks right up there with the one about knotty wood producing a sweeter smoke than the straight grained wood from the same tree. Pellet smokers, the hot and fast cooking method helped bring the demise of the old late shift firetenders exchanging tall tales in the wee hours of the morning at contests.

Every time I've heard or read "first cut" it was referring to the flat, and seemed to imply that it was preferred over the point since it was leaner and made nicer slices.

My Grandfather called the point the nose, which I rarely hear anymore. This was because the point is the forward end when it's on the steer.

When you are chatting with the butcher, ask him about left hand briskets. Hehehee.

YJX0bwS.jpg

hmm the nose, I believe I've also heard the point referred to as "lifters"

I seem to remember deckle also but I think that one may be confusing because it can refer the the fat vein also

Back